The Big Picture?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've been reading for a while, and I finally figured out that my ISP was blocking my SDN e-mail.... Anywho, here I am!

I'm a junior at the University of South Florida, where I'm currently a Biomedical Sciences major. I've applied to 5 schools (UC - Denver, UM - Baltimore, both Midwesterns, and UF - St. Pete), but unfortunately, Denver and Baltimore turned me down. I'm still waiting to hear back from the others.

I'm kind of bummed, because I've never been rejected academically before. I do plan on completing my BS degree this coming year, if I don't get into pharmacy school this time, so I'm not completely without a back-up plan. It'd just be nice to be able to begin this year.

It seems to me, and I could be wrong, that Denver and Baltimore were basing their decisions solely upon GPAs. Right now, I have a 2.8 (and it's a LONG story why), but ever since returning to school after a two-year hiatus(00-02), I've done exceptionally well, especially for working full-time as a pharmacy technician and going to school full-time.

So I guess my question is, do the schools really look at the big picture? Aside from my GPA, I have 7 years experience working as a nationally certified pharmacy tech (retail, mail-order, hospital, and chemotherapy), I've managed to do a little bit of volunteer work, I scored an 84 on PCAT (which I suppose I could retake if I had to), and there's my dedication and determination to the field that is undying.... My concern is that these points may not be seen past the GPA or on paper alone.

Any advice? :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm attending UF-St. Pete and we have several USF grads in our class. What is your math/science GPA? Remember that UF doesn't grant grade forgiveness and they only average in bio I & II, a&P I & II, physics I & II, gen & org chem I & II & calculus I. Almost everyone in my class has pharmacy experience.

I know that really strong applicants already got their acceptance letters. I'm guessing that you're still being considered. If you get a rejection letter, make an appointment with Dr. McKenzie in Gainesville. A friend of mine got rejected and went to talk to him about how to strengthen her application. After talking, he decided to let her into the program. So, she figured out a way to interview.

I was also interviewed at UF. My GPA and PCAT were stellar, but I lacked the experience of the other applicants. I got my acceptance letter 1 week later. I think the interview helps and I wish UF would make interviews mandatory.

You're right University of Maryland could care less about your experience, all they want is a High PCAT score and high GPA, having your Bachelor degree is definetively a plus for them. Most of my classmates who applied at UMB this year got rejected. I am not going to bother applying there, even if I am a Maryland resident.
Some schools look at the big picture, like the University of Michigan. This lady in admission told me that applicants should have at least two years of pharmacy experience. Good luck, I am sure that you will get in this year; don't forget to tell ME where .

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by TCB
Some schools look at the big picture, like the University of Michigan. This lady in admission told me that applicants should have at least two years of pharmacy experience.

When I was dealing with the University of Michigan, they could care less about the big picture. They're looking for a very strong GPA with lots of credit hours and usually a BS. They didn't used to require the PCAT, but I'm not sure if they do now. UofM also looks for classes that they don't "require" but would give you a distinct advantage. They wanted me to have calc 2, 300 or 400 level biochem, a&p 1 and 2 with lab, etc. as pre-reqs (although they didn't actually "require them"). They are also a state school, so they give a preference to in-state, and charge a pretty penny for out of state students. I think it's a GREAT school, since they have a teaching hospital, and an outstanding medical school, but it's not an easy one to get into. I would apply for sure, but I would never consider it an easy shot. I don't mean to seem like I"m picking on you TCB, but I'm from Michigan. My mother went to UofM, and I talked at length to their admissions people (in person and via email). UofM stands out as the school that really looked down on community college students as well.

>You're right University of Maryland could care less about your >experience, all they want is a High PCAT score and high GPA, >having your Bachelor degree is definetively a plus for them.

It seemed to me that UMB must have cared about more than just my GPA - I was accepted there as an out-of-state applicant with just a 3.2 (my PCAT was a 99% though). I got the impression from the interview that they really saw my pharmacy experience as a big plus. Just my .02!

Shannon

same here.. university of maryland accepted me out of state I had a 3.3 gpa.. however my pcat scores were 99%. I recived an email from the associate dean because i was not sure of my chances.. he told me me chances were good and said "you have good grades from a very good school" so i think that the school you went to .. for undergrad can help you.

yeah yeah yeah you guys got in because you had a Bachelor degree and a high PCAT score. They really don't care about experience, in fact I believe that they don't even ask for letter of recommendations. If any of you got in with a 3.2 or 3.1 or even 2.90 fine, THERE IS ALWAYS AN EXCEPTION TO A RULE.

Today was our coating ceremony at UF. During the opening remarks, it was mentioned that UF received over 2,000 applications this year. So, don't worry if you haven't heard anything yet. It's taking them longer than usual.