The book or lecturer slides

Started by MinD_ D
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MinD_ D

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello ,

Im wondering what is the best way to get the sufficient knowledge for your path as a pharmacy student
is it from the book or the lecturer slides (powerpoint lecture , the lecture ) ?

and which way is going to make better pharmacist ?


thank you ...
 
hello ,

Im wondering what is the best way to get the sufficient knowledge for your path as a pharmacy student
is it from the book or the lecturer slides (powerpoint lecture , the lecture ) ?

and which way is going to make better pharmacist ?


thank you ...

Being a “better” pharmacist is dependent on the individual.

As far as books / lecture notes, you’ll have to speak with those students that have taken the courses you need. I’ve had some courses where books were pointless and the 100+ daily slides is what I needed to pass. Other courses is straight from working problems in the book.

Different variables: school, professor, students learning ability, etc.
 
hello ,

Im wondering what is the best way to get the sufficient knowledge for your path as a pharmacy student
is it from the book or the lecturer slides (powerpoint lecture , the lecture ) ?

and which way is going to make better pharmacist ?


thank you ...
Neither, experience is the ultimate teacher. Most of the professors who teach in pharmacy school have spent little or no time in a actual retail pharmacy. If you want to learn, work as much as you can.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Speaking from experience, I never used the book unless it was a math problem and I needed an example. Even then, the textbook was useless half the time. YouTube helps a lot with concepts that you’re struggling with, including math. Just find a video where the explanation makes sense to you.

I used the slides, and attended class. Granted, 9 times out of 10, I was passively engaged/listening in the lecture, but I was definitely listening. More often than not, if I was struggling with a question on the test I’d recall what the teacher said in class about that topic and it would help me get to the right answer.

Work helps out a lot. I’d pick up a shift or two a week during P1-P3 years while we had classes. Every pharmacist has their own way of doing things, observe them and ask plenty of questions as the workload allows. You’ll pick up a lot that way.
 
As dry and boring as textbooks are, they will better prepare you for the NAPLEX.
No harm in using either though; I just personally find that textbooks are a lot more detailed and less prone to taking information out of context vs power points (ex) one word sub bullet points)
 
It depends, but typically ive only utilized slides , and ended up selling my used books back to all you new grads who thought (like me) you would need them,.