The BPI and clinical change

Started by ghost dog
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ghost dog

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey folks,

I use the brief pain inventory in my practice quite frequently at time of consultations, and in follow up assessments. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any data on the minimum amount of clinically significant change on the BPI composite score ? This is scored out of 110.

It's well known that this exists for the Oswestry, and the Neck disability indices, but I can't seem to find this for the BPI.

Any thoughts ?

Perhaps this is too global an assessment tool for this purpose ?
 
Last edited:
Hey folks,

I use the brief pain inventory in my practice quite frequently at time of consultations, and in follow up assessments. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any data on the minimum amount of clinically significant change on the BPI composite score ? This is scored out of 110.

It's well known that this exists for the Oswestry, and the Neck disability indices, but I can't seem to find this for the BPI.

Any thoughts ?

Perhaps this is too global an assessment tool for this purpose ?

No comments - is this a stupid question ?

Apologies if this is the case. I was just wondering, as I like to use this score before and after with elderly spinal stenosis patients (i.e. pre / post opioids). I use the Oswestry too.

Maybe I'm too obsessed with scoring tools? 😀