The CHEAPEST pharmacy school is....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just decided to apply to pharmacy school this year. It is already waaaaay too late for me to apply to UNC (my state school) since the deadline was Nov 1st.
So with that being said...I am just wondering what are some of the cheapest pharmacy schools out there?? (beside my state school of course)
What is the CHEAPEST pharmacy school?
I decide to do my research and found Lecom at Lake Erie to be the CHEAPEST school b/c its 20k a year for tuition for 3 years...so thats only 60K. If anyone know of any CHEAPER schools please let me know. Its always good to have other options. Plus I am sure others would like to know this as well. thanks. :D

Members don't see this ad.

I just decided to apply to pharmacy school this year. It is already waaaaay too late for me to apply to UNC (my state school) since the deadline was Nov 1st.
So with that being said...I am just wondering what are some of the cheapest pharmacy schools out there?? (beside my state school of course)
What is the CHEAPEST pharmacy school?
I decide to do my research and found Lecom at Lake Erie to be the CHEAPEST school b/c its 20k a year for tuition for 3 years...so thats only 60K. If anyone know of any CHEAPER schools please let me know. Its always good to have other options. Plus I am sure others would like to know this as well. thanks. :D

pharmacy is actually 4 years not 3 and your forget the cost of books, easily 500+ and transportation to and from clinical if you dont take your car with you, lab coat, etc etc etc

pharmacy is actually 4 years not 3 and your forget the cost of books, easily 500+ and transportation to and from clinical if you dont take your car with you, lab coat, etc etc etc

There are some pharmacy schools that offer the 3-year accelerated program. Overall, I think 3-year schools are cheaper, although the cost per academic year may seem higher than most 4-year schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
click on the tuition bullet (#11) for a display of all pharm school tuition rates. many state schools are at or below 10k a month -- 40k total. (although some must be mistakes on this because they are ridiculous numbers... 4k a year)

also the #8 bullet is really informational... it displays the total enrollment for first year pharmd classes, breaking down m/f -- age range -- enrollment/acceptance ratio -- etc.

http://www.aacp.org/site/page.asp?TRACKID=&VID=1&CID=377&DID=3613

click on the tuition bullet (#11) for a display of all pharm school tuition rates. many state schools are at or below 10k a month -- 40k total. (although some must be mistakes on this because they are ridiculous numbers... 4k a year)

also the #8 bullet is really informational... it displays the total enrollment for first year pharmd classes, breaking down m/f -- age range -- enrollment/acceptance ratio -- etc.

http://www.aacp.org/site/page.asp?TRACKID=&VID=1&CID=377&DID=3613

Thanks that was very helpful. I didn't see any 4k though! lol....

Just added VCU as well...I hope applying to 5 schools is enough. LOL...

South Dakota out of state tuition is really cheap and also Univ. of Louisiana Monroe is also pretty cheap for out of state.
But keep in mind that going to these schools is like going to a third world country.

Best of luck to you though!

South Dakota out of state tuition is really cheap and also Univ. of Louisiana Monroe is also pretty cheap for out of state.
But keep in mind that going to these schools is like going to a third world country.

Thanks alot. I only look at places with HOT weather though...:D
I really hate cold weather, but only apply to LECOM b/c its 3 years long.
But I will look into Louisiana. :)

I think the cheapest of all will be buffalo, NY

I know Hampton University School of Pharmacy is quite cheap. Approx. $12K per year or thereabouts, if I'm not mistaken.

And if your stats are exceptional, you could apply to the University of Minnesota. They have this scholarship where out of state students pay instate tuition, and instate tuition is ~$17K/yr.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking the same thing. I live in Dallas, TX and there are no schools that are close to me. It would cost me the same to go to University of Houston as University of LA Monroe. Both schools are the same distance from me (but in different directions). I think if I have to choose between the two I will stick with University of Houston due to being used to city life. :sleep: at country towns...

That Louisiana tuition looks pretty appealing but there is no way that I would send my 5 year old to public school there. I live in Arizona. There are few states with worse schools but I'm pretty sure Louisiana qualifies.

I was thinking the same thing. I live in Dallas, TX and there are no schools that are close to me. It would cost me the same to go to University of Houston as University of LA Monroe. Both schools are the same distance from me (but in different directions). I think if I have to choose between the two I will stick with University of Houston due to being used to city life. :sleep: at country towns...

What about University of North Texas, in Fort Worth?

That Louisiana tuition looks pretty appealing but there is no way that I would send my 5 year old to public school there. I live in Arizona. There are few states with worse schools but I'm pretty sure Louisiana qualifies.

really? why? I have only been to New Olreans once and thought it was okay. I went on the Louisiana pharm school website and can't find their list of tuition and cost...

really? why? I have only been to New Olreans once and thought it was okay. I went on the Louisiana pharm school website and can't find their list of tuition and cost...
Try the following:
http://www.ulm.edu/controller/sas/fallfees.pdf

I looked into ULM because I too thought it would be cheap, but at almost $12,000 per semester for nonresidents...It's not.

I almost got happy when I read this post...they don't have a pharmacy program. I looked it up on their website. The have a residency for students of Texas Tech...there is a residency program at the VA hospital (in Dallas) for Texas Tech students as well....

But I did find this link:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/129900.php

So a pharmacy school is coming in 2011 for North TX at the University of Dallas.

What about University of North Texas, in Fort Worth?

Last edited:
Try the following:
http://www.ulm.edu/controller/sas/fallfees.pdf

I looked into ULM because I too thought it would be cheap, but at almost $12,000 per semester for nonresidents...It's not.

Good point!
So far I have to say that Lecom at Lake Erie is the cheapest at 20K per year for 3 years. Unless the cost of living in PA is very high I would say Lecom is the cheapest school.
I applied there but don't have statistics! :(

Well, it's not really sound to generalize like that. I mean, you'll find "academically deficient" school everywhere. It's just that there are more bad schools in Louisiana. But that doesn't mean there are not any good ones. Depends on where you live.

Well, it's not really sound to generalize like that. I mean, you'll find "academically deficient" school everywhere. It's just that there are more bad schools in Louisiana. But that doesn't mean there are not any good ones. Depends on where you live.

I think that in general, the further south you go... the worst the educational system and dropout rates. From what I've been told, this distinction is glaringly obvious in the army.

If you look at those studies that compare student achievement from each state to a national standard, I believe that Louisiana is one of those states that consistently ranks near the bottom. That isn't to say that there aren't good public schools there but typically quality is a correlated with how expensive the houses are in the surrounding neighborhood. I will be a poor pharm student so I probably can't afford to live in the neighborhoods with the good schools.

If you look at those studies that compare student achievement from each state to a national standard, I believe that Louisiana is one of those states that consistently ranks near the bottom. That isn't to say that there aren't good public schools there but typically quality is a correlated with how expensive the houses are in the surrounding neighborhood. I will be a poor pharm student so I probably can't afford to live in the neighborhoods with the good schools.

I wholefully concur with your decision. There is no way I would send my kids to a subpar educational system.

I think that in general, the further south you go... the worst the educational system and dropout rates. From what I've been told, this distinction is glaringly obvious in the army.

I'm in Arizona and my daughter is in an "excelling" school. Of course, that is a one big con because the state gets to define what excelling is. They dumb down the standards, call the school excelling and everybody is happy. Nobody realizes it is a con until the students take one of those "national report card" tests and score poorly compared to the rest of the nation. States like mine are going to get the wake up call in the next year or so. Everybody will wring their hands but nobody wants to invest in education so it will be the same as it ever was.

Yeah, I heard the Northeast and California has the best schools and the south has the worst. I thought South Carolina would be the worst, but maybe Louisania is close too? I am not applying there b/c LA require Microbiology lab and I don't have it.

Here is a hint to pre pharms. Take Public speaking, Statistics and Microbiology LAB. Those classes are require by ALOT of schools and I don't have them and its severly limiting the schools I can apply to! :(

I agree with that. But what i'm trying to say is that there are still a very small number of schools in the deep south that are very very academically sound, and even rank pretty well in the nation.
I've lived in Mississippi all my life, and I think the education system here is probably worse than Louisiana's. I can probably bet you on that. But I know some very bright kids coming out of Mississippi high schools (National Merit Finalists, and all that stuff), ALTHOUGH it's a small number! lol

You can get bright students coming out of any place. Some districts do a better job with high achievers than others. I used to teach in what most people would consider a bad school. We still had some excellent students who most likely went on to be successful. But that was mostly because of their effort rather than what we did for them in school. I was so busy getting my less motivated students to learn and pass my class that I didn't have a lot of time left over to offer a challenge to my highest achievers. I know it sucks for the top students but a common attitude among teachers is that the smart kids are going be okay anyway and the low kids really need the help more.

Okay I'm a product of the Louisiana school system and I can honestly say that it's not as bad as it seems, matter of fact, Benjamin Franklin placed highest in the country and it's right here in New Orleans, so it's not all bad. I agree. every state has their good schools and bad schools, so it's not right to say Louisiana has the worse schools in the country without any facts.

Okay I'm a product of the Louisiana school system and I can honestly say that it's not as bad as it seems, matter of fact, Benjamin Franklin placed highest in the country and it's right here in New Orleans, so it's not all bad. I agree. every state has their good schools and bad schools, so it's not right to say Louisiana has the worse schools in the country without any facts.

I'm not going to argue that there aren't exceptional students or schools but I'm talking about the general picture. Can you say that there isn't a disparity between north and south in terms of education?

It's one of the things I think the Obama adminstration will have to work on. This doesn't only include the south but the whole US as we see that general education is falling behind that of the world.

Yeah, I heard the Northeast and California has the best schools and the south has the worst. I thought South Carolina would be the worst, but maybe Louisania is close too? I am not applying there b/c LA require Microbiology lab and I don't have it.

Here is a hint to pre pharms. Take Public speaking, Statistics and Microbiology LAB. Those classes are require by ALOT of schools and I don't have them and its severly limiting the schools I can apply to! :(

Did you get your Microbiology labs yet? I think it has been two years now. How are you?

Did you get your Microbiology labs yet? I think it has been two years now. How are you?

Nope, never took microbiology lab! I am in pharmacy school now though and everything is going great. Thanks for asking! :)

Back to UB, where do you see that tuition is 31k/year? Click the PharmD tuition rates and it clearly says tuition is ~16k/year.

Back to UB, where do you see that tuition is 31k/year? Click the PharmD tuition rates and it clearly says tuition is ~16k/year.

Tuition at UB is $14914 (including fees) for the first year non-residents. If you are a New York resident, drop that number by $7900. You are considered undergrad as a P1 (so you pay undergrad tuition).

For all subsequent years, you can easily get in-state residency and pay PharmD tuition. It equates to $18,107/yr including fees.

Don't forget to add in cost of living. Rent here costs me $390 per month and I share a 2 bedroom apartment with one other pharmacy student. And it's a great apartment also.

I would be so wealthy if I only paid $390 a month for rent. Oh my lord.

:(

ahhh I was thinking the same thing... this makes me sad. :( I'd have like 30,000 in the bank after my last three years of undergrad alone.

>>> ... THIS is my reasoning for not caring where I have to live ... concrete jungle pshhh lol I could BUY a vacation apartment in Miami after a few years of living in the countryside.

Last edited:
ahhh I was thinking the same thing... this makes me sad. :( I'd have like 30,000 in the bank after my last three years of undergrad alone.

Yup... My rent alone is right below the POVERTY LINE for people's income for god's sake.

But, this city is amazing, close to San Francisco, quiet, clean, green and all around... perfect. So it's worth it.

I'm not looking forward to Boston rent, if it comes down to us moving over there. It's like 400sq.ft for $1650...

Yup... My rent alone is right below the POVERTY LINE for people's income for god's sake.

But, this city is amazing, close to San Francisco, quiet, clean, green and all around... perfect. So it's worth it.

I'm not looking forward to Boston rent, if it comes down to us moving over there. It's like 400sq.ft for $1650...

Oh geez... I had a 750 sq ft 1/1 about 20-30 min SW of downtown Miami and rent was 1000/month + cable, internet, electric and gas for the non- (decent) public transportation having state of Florida.

... but I did have a 2/2 and I still paid 900/month to share it with a roommate... totally not worth it. = (

Wow. That could get you a 2,200 sq ft house with 4 bedrooms 2 1/2 baths in my hometown with mortgage paid over 30 years.

It would cover the utilities too.

But if you add food, it goes above $1,650.

Oh geez... I had a 750 sq ft 1/1 about 20-30 min SW of downtown Miami and rent was 1000/month + cable, internet, electric and gas for the non- (decent) public transportation having state of Florida.

... but I did have a 2/2 and I still paid 900/month to share it with a roommate... totally not worth it. = (

Is it ever worth it to have a room mate? :laugh:

I guess someone other than your family member/relative/significant other would make it difficult

yah i thought i was getting a deal moving from orange county california to filthadelphia...psshh...

OC: $1400 for a 800+ 1/1 sq. ft apartment w/ a parking spot + utils.
filthy: $1000 for a <400 sq ft STUDIO, parking is $200/mo extra. utils included.

horrible deal...even though on absolute terms it's $200 less. and i'm quoting pre-recession pricing for OC too. bahh

oh and i'm getting pale because of the lack of sun. add in vitamin d supplements and the need to buy new jackets/boots = it's a wash.

yah i thought i was getting a deal moving from orange county california to filthadelphia...psshh...

filthy: $1000 for a <400 sq ft STUDIO, parking is $200/mo extra. utils included.

horrible deal...even though on absolute terms it's $200 less. and i'm quoting pre-recession pricing for OC too. bahh

oh and i'm getting pale because of the lack of sun. add in vitamin d supplements and the need to buy new jackets/boots = it's a wash.

Luckily I moved into the 1/1 in September 2008 for my senior year, so it was pretty decently priced at that time. The 2/2 we lived in was almost the same size as the 1/1! It was so tiny... and I have a queen sized bed and a lot of junk so that place was the pits. It was also due west of downtown on the border of a really shady neighborhood. I'm talking prostitutes walking two blocks off track and standing under your balcony, cops jumping out on cars with their guns drawn all the time, etc.

I'm not sure what I would do without sunshine though. I don't mind the cold, but I don't like being really pale. :laugh:

Plus you get to live in filthadelphia according to your status, enough said. :rolleyes:

Look on a bright side confetti - soon enough, you'll be back to OC, rolling in dough and doctorate degree prestige swooning everyone in a nearby proximity. :laugh:

There are some pharmacy schools that offer the 3-year accelerated program. Overall, I think 3-year schools are cheaper, although the cost per academic year may seem higher than most 4-year schools.

My three year school will cost me about $37K per year. Not that inexpensive. You can learn anywhere, and make education what you will. This school will allow me not to relocate my family so that is a good thing for me. Oh and my wife doesn't have to quit her nice job.