The choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Primate

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK,

Say you're interested in two different residencies (fields, not programs) but can't decide which one is for you. How do you choose?

And, here's an additional constraint. You only have time for one elective rotation before you apply.

And, during core rotations you get one week of exposure to one and no exposure to the other.

Anyone else in this boat?

Members don't see this ad.

This is probably a more difficult decision than most of us realize when we're making it. I have a few friends of various specialties who are about to finish and are starting to realize that they wished they chose something else, or at least are wondering if they should have.

Realize that the practice of medicine (and therefore the life that surrounds it) is considerably different in private practice hospitals compared to the university setting. Perfect example: internal medicine for a 3rd year clerk is entirely inpatient management whereas the majority of internists in private practice never leave their clinics.

Spending a few days with various practitioners is good advice. Get on the phone, too. Talk to as many people as you can. Pick a few in the phonebook and just call them. I did. Tell them the decision your wrestling with and ask frank questions. Is your practice what you thought it would be? What frustrates you most about it? How does it compare to what I know your specialty to be? How much could I expect to earn? Are there jobs for me where I want to live? Etc, etc.

Good luck.