The day is coming when Pharmacy School rankings will matter!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dreamofdental

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that a lot of you have said that the school ranking does not matter but with all the new schools opening I think pharmacy is heading where law school is today which is school ranking is important!
 
I know that a lot of you have said that the school ranking does not matter but with all the new schools opening I think pharmacy is heading where law school is today which is school ranking is important!

It already does. My residency site refused to accept any student from the new COPs for any of the expierientials. Needless to say, we didn't look at any residency applicants from them as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It should matter. If going to pharmacy school gets to the caliber of going to medical school, maybe pharmacy will eventually get the recognition it deserves.
 
It already does. My residency site refused to accept any student from the new COPs for any of the expierientials. Needless to say, we didn't look at any residency applicants from them as well.

We stopped taking students from one college of pharm because the 5 we had were terrible. Not worth the headache when there are other schools in the area.

When I was a resident, we did not look at applications from any school that was opened in the last 5 yrs. Were we missing a good candidate? Maybe..but there are plenty of good candidates from established schools and at least we know what type of education they recieved.
 
We stopped taking students from one college of pharm because the 5 we had were terrible. Not worth the headache when there are other schools in the area.

When I was a resident, we did not look at applications from any school that was opened in the last 5 yrs. Were we missing a good candidate? Maybe..but there are plenty of good candidates from established schools and at least we know what type of education they recieved.

Did you take application fees from students who were from newer schools?
 
residency trained pharmacists already think they're better than those without a residency
Pharmacist I talked to in the hospital setting tend to say that they were more respected in the hospital than the retail pharmacy... It's like a bank, you get your money, and wait for financial advice.

People would wait for the advice about financial but in the retail setting consulting happens a little. That's why there was a big push for pharmacist to consult and have clinical skills, cause past pharmacist were view more as a businessman, than as a health care professional/provider.
 
I remember during orientation they told us that residency sites loved our school because our 2010 class was matched to 19/25 residencies. I thought they were just spouting the usual nonsense but maybe it's true? I don't want a residency so I don't really know but 19 students in a class of 88 sounds like a pretty good number.
 
We stopped taking students from one college of pharm because the 5 we had were terrible. Not worth the headache when there are other schools in the area.

When I was a resident, we did not look at applications from any school that was opened in the last 5 yrs. Were we missing a good candidate? Maybe..but there are plenty of good candidates from established schools and at least we know what type of education they recieved.

Exactly. There was no shortage of good candidates coming from solid schools that we had years of good experience with. How well past residents performed definitely has some influence, even if subtle, on future candidates from that school. Hope I reinforced my school's good name last year. 😛