The different mission based schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

northernlights15

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I hope you're having a nice evening.

I've noticed that matching a schools mission makes a huge difference in admissions. Perhaps you all can chime in but to me, there are only a few different missions.

Here's what I've gathered so far (and please feel free to add on to this list):

1) Commitment to the underserved (i.e., Georgetown, Cooper Rowan, etc.)

2) Commitment to underrepresented minorities and "elimination of health disparities" (i.e., HBCUs)

3) Commitment to Christ, religion, etc. (i.e., Loma Linda)

4) Commitment to a certain location (i.e., UC Davis, UC Riverside, etc.)

5) Commitment to working in an underserved rural area (i.e., University of North Dakota (?))

6) Commitment to research (i.e., UCSF, Harvard, and like every top 20)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
DO Schools have a mission geared to producing primary care physicians; some MD schools are probably in this mold.

For #4, some schools are very state, not just region-specific. Mercer, U MS, U NM, U SD, U WA, come to mind. Your 4 and 5 also some some considerable overlap.

DO Schools have a mission geared to producing primary care physicians; some MD schools are probably in this mold.

For #4, some schools are very state, not just region-specific. Mercer, U MS, U NM, U SD, U WA, come to mind. Your 4 and 5 also some some considerable overlap.

I feel like the different missions I've seen are certainly the primary care focus, underserved rural area focus and then every other school has the typical "commitment to excellence, integrity, compassion, etc."

I guess the difference between number 4 and 5 would be that UC Riverside is only interested in students that have a commitment to Riverside and the others are committed to just rural medicine and any/surrounding underserved rural areas (like University of Washington maybe?).

I think UWV would fit category 5, rural medicine.