The Dilemma! To take Biochem...or not...??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did you take Biochemistry in undergrad?

• Yes

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters

DOwnage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for schools this upcoming cycle. I will not have taken biochemistry by the time I start applying. I've taken all the prereqs and some upper level biology classes. I originally planned on taking it, but am unsure now because it interferes with my graduation date. If I take biochemistry, I will have to take another semester, composed of biochemistry + worthless classes + wasting money + wasting time. I should have graduated already and this isn't an attractive scenario. The problem lies in the fact that I am from the midwest, and I have recently found out that KCUMB and DMU both require biochemistry. UNECOM does also, but I didn't consider my chances as high since I am not from the east coast.

I kind of assumed I would have legitimate shots at these schools if I took biochemistry but I don't even know if I can fit it in. Granted, I still have many other schools to apply to, but they're all in different parts of the country and the tales "in-state biased" scares the crap out of me.

I guess my questions boil down to this:

1. Would you recommend taking biochemistry at all, and add these 2 schools to my list? (and maybe UNECOM, although I'm not sure if they are OOS friendly)
  2. If my last 60 hrs GPA is flawless right now and overloading myself with biochemistry has a chance of tarnishing my streak, should I just avoid the risk altogether? Or do schools even care about last 60 hrs? I know people will pounce on me and say "you know if you can't handle it now, you won't be able to handle it in medical school". I'm trying to be pragmatic to get into medical school, not get involved an ideological wang-measuring contest about who's smarter.
  3. Do most people here take biochemistry? The reason I ask is that I didn't think biochemistry was a prerequisite for most biology majors and I'm wondering how many people actually apply without biochem, effectively shutting themselves out of 3 schools.
  4. How important is a DO LOR? I have DO LOR and DO shadowing. Part of me assumes that everyone has this, while realistically I know this is not the case. Does this give me any kind of edge in DO schools that are not within my region, ie. PCOM or Western since I am showing dedication to the osteopathic profession? In other words, can my other aspects of the application like this help boost my chances and counteract my unfortunate geographical situation?
  5. To people who have received acceptances and had DO LOR and shadowing: did you feel that it helped you at all?
I know that was kinda long, but I really appreciate anyone's input on this situation, especially people who are currently going through or have been through the process before. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Would you recommend taking biochemistry at all, and add these 2 schools to my list? (and maybe UNECOM, although I'm not sure if they are OOS friendly)

Maybe you can look into taking biochem at a CC during the summer. It won't cost much, you won't have to push back your graduation, and after you complete it you can update the schools you applied to.

DMU and KCUMB are two very solid schools, so I would not want to miss out on an opportunity to attend either.

Do most people here take biochemistry? The reason I ask is that I didn't think biochemistry was a prerequisite for most biology majors and I'm wondering how many people actually apply without biochem, effectively shutting themselves out of 3 schools.

I took biochem. It was a requirement to complete a bio major at my school.

Considering a significant minority of DO applicants are from the UC system, it would be safe to assume many of your fellow applicants have completed biochem.

How important is a DO LOR? I have DO LOR and DO shadowing. Part of me assumes that everyone has this, while realistically I know this is not the case. Does this give me any kind of edge in DO schools that are not within my region, ie. PCOM or Western since I am showing dedication to the osteopathic profession? In other words, can my other aspects of the application like this help boost my chances and counteract my unfortunate geographical situation?

It certainly can't hurt. I'm unsure if it really gives you any significant edge though (disregarding the fact that some schools require a DO LOR).

Western (in Pomona) does not have a regional bias, unlike PCOM.

To people who have received acceptances and had DO LOR and shadowing: did you feel that it helped you at all?

I'm not really sure, but I'm definitely glad I had one. Anecdotally, the only post-interview rejection I received was from Western and my DO LOR was from a current Western pre-clinical and clinical professor lol

Last edited:
FYI, a lot of schools require a DO LOR to even submit the secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
  1. Would you recommend taking biochemistry at all, and add these 2 schools to my list?
  2. If my last 60 hrs GPA is flawless right now and overloading myself with biochemistry has a chance of tarnishing my streak, should I just avoid the risk altogether?
  3. Do most people here take biochemistry?
  4. How important is a DO LOR?
  5. To people who have received acceptances and had DO LOR and shadowing: did you feel that it helped you at all?

1) I would strongly recommend taking biochem.
2) No one can answer that question for you. I can tell you having biochem experience under your belt will be immensely beneficial for medical school, and schools look highly upon those who have done well in it for admissions purposes.
3) I have no idea what most people do on here. I have heard rumors that some schools are considering making biochem a prerequisite though.
4) I did not have a DO LOR and got into to school just fine. It is a nice addition if you can get it, but if you have an MD you have shadowed with and who knows you well, it is better to have him/her write you a letter because it will be better than some DO who just met you. At the same time, it will limit you on a couple schools that require a DO letter, so if you have done no shadowing you should definitely try to find a DO to do it with.
5) Can't answer, didn't have a DO letter

I'm so glad I took biochem, and I can't emphasize that enough. All the guys in my study group had taken gross anatomy and I hadn't.....I had to bust my butt for that class and it sucked. When it came around to biochem the tables turned and they were always asking me how come it came so easy. My advice: take it. You will be glad you did when you have to squeeze biochem into studying for everything else that first year in med school

1) Yes take Biochem. It provides background knowledge and familarity with the material for when you take the six week biochem block in medical school.
2) Get anecdotal reviews of biochem profs at your undergrad. Take the prof that is recommended and study hard. Go over your powerpoints 4-6 times before exams.
3) Most students take biochem before medical school. Biochem covers how biological organisms work at the molecular level.
4) I did not have a DO LOR but I had an MD letter. I got accepted to TCOM, KCOM, AZCOM. I don't think it really matters. Just know the difference so you can answer this question during your interview.
5) Can't answer this since I did not shadow a DO. I did attend a post bac program at a DO School (TCOM) which provided me exposure to osteopathic principles in an indirect way.

Good Luck :luck:

1. Would you recommend taking biochemistry at all, and add these 2 schools to my list?
  2. How important is a DO LOR?
IMO, Biochem is pretty important. Cellular metabolism; TCA cycle; protein structure, function, and interactions; oxygen transport; electron transport chain. All this stuff is going to help you understand how a human body works (How do statins work? -or- Why are we pushing bicarb?), and I would think most med school curriculums assume students have a basic knowledge of these topics. I even took a second semester (which was kind of a joke at my university) that got more into molecular biology and genetics. I'm pretty impressed by DMU also, so I'm not sure why you would want to pass them up! :)

I can personally attest that (at least at DMU) a DO LOR is not necessary for acceptance. Nor is a LOR from an MD. Nor do you need to shadow a physician. I'm not saying you shouldn't do/have these things (in fact I'm sure my application would have been stronger with them), but I was accepted to DMU and my state MD school with recommendations from university faculty and the Operations Manager of the clinical laboratory where I work for my "clinical exposure" letter.

Best of luck with biochem and applications!

i got into PCOM without a DO recc. my interviewer also said she highly reccommends i take some sort of biochem before i matriculate anywhere (because i havent) looking on here, i think ill either buy some sort of "bio chem for idiots" book or maybe take a class at a cc before august. but people get into to med school and dont take biochem all the time i hear. it just makes that block harder, just like background knowledge in any subject helps relearning easier, i guess.

OP, you could take it in the fall whereever. As long as you get a B I don't think it would hurt you, and if you get an A and update your apps I bet it could really help you.

Hey everyone thanks for the great responses.

The general consensus is obviously that biochem is very helpful. To those who took biochem, did you take a 1 semester survey course or a 2 semester biochemistry course? Would a 1 semester survey course be sufficient to actually understand med school biochem?

The general consensus is obviously that biochem is very helpful. To those who took biochem, did you take a 1 semester survey course or a 2 semester biochemistry course? Would a 1 semester survey course be sufficient to actually understand med school biochem?

Biochem at UCI was 1 quarter in length. It was definitely one of the more intense major pre-reqs and you learned a good amount. According to my friend at UCI-SOM, who also attended UCI for undergrad, the amount of biochem covered during 1 quarter in undergrad is covered in 2-3 weeks in med school.

Just take the 1 semester. You're still probably going to have to work your butt off to learn biochem in med school no matter which option you go with.

I took both semesters of my school's biochemistry, although, in retrospect, I should have just done the first semester (proteins, metabolism, etc...) What you're going to learn in med school biochem will be much more than what you do in undergrad, so I think a basic survey course will suffice.

To answer your earlier question, I was accepted to GA-PCOM and offered interviews at UNECOM and NSU-COM without a DO recommendation or shadowing. I did have an MD letter and shadowed 2 MDs.