the direction of optometry

Started by spm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

spm

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I was wondering I've heard from many current optometrists that the profession of optometry is moving in the direction of retail. I was wondering if anyone who elaborate on this idea? I would only want to go into optometry if I could start a private practice or work in the hospital. And I understand that the first couple years out of optometry, new graduates usually go into retail, but I thought I could move past that. If the direction is moving toward retail overall, I may have to reconsider
 
Hi,

I was wondering I've heard from many current optometrists that the profession of optometry is moving in the direction of retail. I was wondering if anyone who elaborate on this idea? I would only want to go into optometry if I could start a private practice or work in the hospital. And I understand that the first couple years out of optometry, new graduates usually go into retail, but I thought I could move past that. If the direction is moving toward retail overall, I may have to reconsider

Ok...I have a few comments on this, but before I do I would like to pose one serious question to you:

In your posting you state that new graduates usually go retail but you thought you could move past that.

What makes you think that YOU are any different than anyone else?

This is a serious question...not meant to be derogatory or anything like that.

What do you plan to do differently.