The dreaded opened ended question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Entirecropslost

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious how many people here answered the questions on secondaries that is like, "is there anything else we should know about you?" Or if you left it blank. If you did answer it what was the gist of your answer?

Members don't see this ad.

Better to say something, than to not say anything at all. There's a lot of stuff to write about. Me, not applying for 2 cycles, if I saw this, I'd write about certain things that I've done, but not given justice to. Like working at a non-clinical job for the government, and that, while I wasn't out making a cure for cancer, I understood exactly what I did, and helped advance medicine by making it easier for volunteers to find information about clinical trials. Something that sounds good, and wouldn't be evident from your application without detail.

Is this a place where you would explain why you want to go to that particular school, or no? Is it just about you? I find this question difficult because between my PS, my application, and the other secondary questions, what more can I say without repeating myself? (considering im a traditional app)

Members don't see this ad :)
Entirecropslost said:
I was just curious how many people here answered the questions on secondaries that is like, "is there anything else we should know about you?" Or if you left it blank. If you did answer it what was the gist of your answer?

I would use it to make yourself unique-- show the adcoms that you really are an individual. For example, on one secondary I mentioned that I have a third nipple and discussed in detail all the discrimination and hardship I have faced as a result of this abnormality and how it will make me one of the most awesomest doctors of all time (not). Needless to say, I ended up getting an interview at that school.

Thanks for the help, I'm glad u guys said that, I'm going to whip up something to put there. :)