'The Emperor's New Drugs'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
by Irving Kirsch. Asserts that the effects of antidepressants are essentially no different than those of active placebos.

Anybody read this? What did you think?

Members don't see this ad.

by Irving Kirsch. Asserts that the effects of antidepressants are essentially no different than those of active placebos.

Anybody read this? What did you think?

I don't know the term "active placebos." Help me out.

If I'm not mistaken an active placebo produces the same symptoms/side effects that would be expected with the experimental drug.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I'm not mistaken an active placebo produces the same symptoms/side effects that would be expected with the experimental drug.

Correct. Activated placebos are not inert substances and typically produce SEs when administered although they have no direct therapeutic effects (purportedly). Researchers have postulated that the presence of SEs and their being detected by participants yields higher effect sizes than inert placebos.

Surprised those are ethical to administer.

Whats the rule on when you can give placebos or not? I'm assuming you never tell the patient and only give it when the case isnt that serious and you arent sure if they are faking or need medication. But not sure.

Whats the rule on when you can give placebos or not? I'm assuming you never tell the patient and only give it when the case isnt that serious and you arent sure if they are faking or need medication. But not sure.

They're only given as part of a study and usually a double-blind, RCT. The participant is informed that they may receive an active compound, an inert placebo, or an activated placebo which will not be disclosed until the study is completed.

Placebos (active or inert) are not given as part of treatment that is not part of a study, or at least they shouldn't be.

Because it's the future, you can take just a little tiny pill and get all your vitamins for the whole day.

It's not unethical to give a placebo as long as you inform the patient that it is a placebo. (I probably wouldn't intentionally give an *active* placebo, although I'm starting to think of a lot of the meds I do prescribe this way.)

I don't have time to dig up the study now, but apparently even if you tell the patient "This is a sugar pill but I think it will help you," most of them will agree to take it and the placebo effect is quite strong.

I would totally give out sugar pills if I could find them. I'm considering telling people to take some kind of benign OTC vitamin pill instead, before I give them an SSRI.