The end of Vit. D for everyone? (NYT report)

Started by npage148
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

npage148

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Over the last years, Vit D use has been through the roof and it seems everyone in my area gets Drisdol qw. Maybe this new report will calm the panic about everyone being low. I haven't gotten to read the real report as it's being released later today but it'll be interesting to see what it says.
NYT article
Commitee report

And read the NYT comments for some good giggles
 
There's also the Wall Street Journal report that says that they now say vit. D intake should be tripled (from 200IU to 600IU), so the general public that read both of those is really confused. I say these articles aren't contradictory, as 600IU isn't all that much and has been recommended by some guidelines for a while now, and the NYT article mostly applies to the megadoses that some are taking.
 
We can thank Dr. Oz and Oprah for the current Vitamin D craze. Early 2008 Dr. Oz went on Oprah and said half of all Americans are deficient in Vitamin D. He said it could do everything from preventing cancer to slowing down the aging process. After that show everyone is on Vit D and it has become a stand lab value to check on routine physicals.

We carry at least three bottles of it and it is a fast mover at my pharmacy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We can thank Dr. Oz and Oprah for the current Vitamin D craze. Early 2008 Dr. Oz went on Oprah and said half of all Americans are deficient in Vitamin D. He said it could do everything from preventing cancer to slowing down the aging process. After that show everyone is on Vit D and it has become a stand lab value to check on routine physicals.

We carry at least three bottles of it and it is a fast mover at my pharmacy.

Ovary Winfrey show is still on ?? And you watch it???

I've never seen a single episode.
 
they mentioned sunlight more than once in that article

i live in the area of the country where there are more than 200+ cloudy days per year, + factor in more people work inside, i dont think the sunlight exposure works in my area of country
 
I know this is anecdotal but in my relatively limited experience more than a few patients had an acute myocardial event shortly after starting high dose vit D therapy.
 
We can thank Dr. Oz and Oprah for the current Vitamin D craze. Early 2008 Dr. Oz went on Oprah and said half of all Americans are deficient in Vitamin D. He said it could do everything from preventing cancer to slowing down the aging process. After that show everyone is on Vit D and it has become a stand lab value to check on routine physicals.

We carry at least three bottles of it and it is a fast mover at my pharmacy.

Not that Dr. Oz and Oprah are guilt-free, but Vitamin D levels and their role in disease prevention was actually going around quite heavily in research before 2008.

I think there's some benefit to raising Vitamin D levels, but it's definitely a huge fad right now, and I doubt we need as much as some of the articles are saying.
 
Ovary Winfrey show is still on ?? And you watch it???

I've never seen a single episode.

I do not believe that for a second. Your home all day and I bet you never miss an episode. You probably Tivo it to watch over and over.

If it is true than I think you need to open your heart and mind to the religion of Oprah. An overall sense of well being and satisfaction will sweep over you. Your life will all make sense and all will be in harmony. Trust in Oprah.......
 
If it is true than I think you need to open your heart and mind to the religion of Oprah. An overall sense of well being and satisfaction will sweep over you. Your life will all make sense and all will be in harmony. Trust in Oprah.......


You need major help in life.
 
Vitamin D is a huge issue here in Canada. Low serum levels have been associated with the high rates of multiple sclerosis in Canada, among other things. In my workplace, the psychiatrists have been ordering 1000 IU vitamin D daily for all the schizophrenics because of a disputable association of low vit D levels with psychosis. This report may help appease some folks, but I doubt it will put an end to the craze, because clinical questions remain unanswered. For instance, the serum level of vitamin D needed for optimal health remains undefined.

Here in Ontario, the vitamin D craze has resulted in the provincial health plan de-listing vitamin D testing except for therapeutic reasons (eg osteoporosis, CKD). Healthy people were rushing to their family dr to get their vit D levels taken, and it was costing the province millions.
 
I do not believe that for a second. Your home all day and I bet you never miss an episode. You probably Tivo it to watch over and over.

If it is true than I think you need to open your heart and mind to the religion of Oprah. An overall sense of well being and satisfaction will sweep over you. Your life will all make sense and all will be in harmony. Trust in Oprah.......

LOL!!!

:laugh: