The English Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm a little distressed right now. I was perusing various individual med school websites, and most require 6 semester hours of English. I have taken a 300 level English class and I got AP credit for English composition. Is that sufficient?? I look history classes that required us to write papers and I took French classes that were writing intensive. Do these count also? Should I be taking an English class with a schedule such as this: Physics1, Vertebrate Structure, French Poetry/Plays, 10hr of lab work a week, and 5 hours of ER work a week? Help!

Members don't see this ad.

It seems that you should have taken some type of English Lit course also. I'm not sure if you can count the AP course or not.

AP + an advanced course is fine. Med schools won't care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the AP credit posted to your transcript? That's the important thing. But...yeah, it's unlikely med schools will care. English can be nearly anything. But do make sure to contact the ones you're interested in.

This is tricky. Some schools DO in fact care if it's AP or not. What you need to do is get on the phone with the schools you are applying to and ask them specifically if AP English credit will satisfy their English composition requirement.

But, let me add this little caveat, if a school really wants you, then they may, ahem, "overlook" something like this if you don't fully satisfy one of their requirements. I know people that may have lacked one "minor" requirement and ended up matriculating anyway. English comp seems rather minor in my opinion, apologies to any English majors. :)

Again, call the schools and find out to be sure.

Good Luck.

AP credits should count, but you may want to take an english lit class in the fall and include that on you AMCAS as one of your classes you plan to take in the future.

do AP credits really count? I think you should check the MSAR b/c I believe some of these schools don't like to see that. They want you to actually take a class....either it was AP credits or CLEP credits, can't remember. But check MSAR. I remember a specific notation about this for a lot of schools.

Tweetie