1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

The Essay section.

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by dudecoolname, Jul 25, 2011.

1. dudecoolname

dudecoolname words under my username
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    There have already been plenty of threads on the subject like this one:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=291025

I thought Id start a new thread on the subject in order to get as much valuable insight as possible before the 27th.

I haven't studied this section at all. So basically I'm just wondering if anyone who has taken the PCAT has any tips on how to do well on this section.

For example should the Essay's typically be 5 paragraphs like in Freshman English class, or longer/shorter?

Basically any tips would be great

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Timbo

7+ Year Member

4. dudecoolname

dudecoolname words under my username
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    ^That helps, thanks.

Random question - for those who took the comp. based...did they have a copy/paste option when writing the essay?

5. Zaitsev

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    There's no separate window to practice writing in, however you can copy, cut, and paste. There's a few other limited commands they have at the top of the page. Sadly, no spell check ;)

6. MPharmD

Pre-Pharmacy
    this could be irrelevant but many people on other posts related to the essay writing section of the pcat said to include a problem with the solution you propose. any thoughts on this?

im getting scared loll its tomorrow arrghhh

7. G8T0RGRL00

Pre-Pharmacy
    I think what it means is that when you are given a problem (essay prompt), you suggest a solution to this problem. However, your proposed solution might not work all the time so you would have to explain under what circumstances this solution would not work and maybe even come up with alternative solution for this problem.

8. jjingle

I'm wondering how the Essay sections will affect your overall PCAT grade. My composite score is in the mid 80s but I know my essays were complete crap and can't bear the thought of my grade dropping below 80 because of it.

9. G8T0RGRL00

Pre-Pharmacy
    According to the Pearson candidate information booklet
    http://www.pearsonassessments.com/hai/Images/dotCom/pcatweb.info/PCAT_CIB.pdf

• Scores on the personal Score Report are reported as scaled scores and percentile
    ranks for each of the five multiple-choice subtests and as a composite score for the
    combined multiple-choice subtests.
    • Writing subtest scores are reported separately for Conventions of Language and
    Problem Solving.