The Essay section.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudecoolname

words under my username
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have already been plenty of threads on the subject like this one:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=291025

I thought Id start a new thread on the subject in order to get as much valuable insight as possible before the 27th.

I haven't studied this section at all. So basically I'm just wondering if anyone who has taken the PCAT has any tips on how to do well on this section.

For example should the Essay's typically be 5 paragraphs like in Freshman English class, or longer/shorter?

Basically any tips would be great

Members don't see this ad.

Here are official Pearson sample essays: http://www.aacp.org/resources/acade...lines/Documents/PCATTechnicalReport--2007.pdf

Looking at the last sample, which got a 5.0/5.0, it seems 4 paragraphs would work fine: an intro, two body paragraphs corresponding to two solutions to the problem, and a concluding paragraph that simply restates your two solutions.

I know the prompt will always ask you to discuss a solution, it seems like coming up with two is the way to go.

^That helps, thanks.

Random question - for those who took the comp. based...did they have a copy/paste option when writing the essay?

There's no separate window to practice writing in, however you can copy, cut, and paste. There's a few other limited commands they have at the top of the page. Sadly, no spell check ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
this could be irrelevant but many people on other posts related to the essay writing section of the pcat said to include a problem with the solution you propose. any thoughts on this?

im getting scared loll its tomorrow arrghhh

this could be irrelevant but many people on other posts related to the essay writing section of the pcat said to include a problem with the solution you propose. any thoughts on this?

im getting scared loll its tomorrow arrghhh

I think what it means is that when you are given a problem (essay prompt), you suggest a solution to this problem. However, your proposed solution might not work all the time so you would have to explain under what circumstances this solution would not work and maybe even come up with alternative solution for this problem.

I'm wondering how the Essay sections will affect your overall PCAT grade. My composite score is in the mid 80s but I know my essays were complete crap and can't bear the thought of my grade dropping below 80 because of it.

I'm wondering how the Essay sections will affect your overall PCAT grade. My composite score is in the mid 80s but I know my essays were complete crap and can't bear the thought of my grade dropping below 80 because of it.

According to the Pearson candidate information booklet
http://www.pearsonassessments.com/hai/Images/dotCom/pcatweb.info/PCAT_CIB.pdf

• Scores on the personal Score Report are reported as scaled scores and percentile
ranks for each of the five multiple-choice subtests and as a composite score for the
combined multiple-choice subtests.
• Writing subtest scores are reported separately for Conventions of Language and
Problem Solving.