The Ethics of Air Ambulances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tipsy McStagger

Critical Care
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was an article in EP monthly a few years ago about the draconian business practices of private air ambulances. Today I saw a video posted that reinforces much of what was mentioned in the article. I thought it'd be an interesting discussion. This, on a day when Wall Street has been taken to the cleaners by some reddit community, they are responding in typical fashion - manipulation, panic and efforts to play by different rules than the public is offered. Here we discuss a completely unregulated market that profits from human suffering, while simultaneously operating with impunity.

The Article
Helicopter Air Ambulances: Billing Changes Aloft
By J. Tyler Schwartz, MD and Thomas Trimarco, MD.

The Video
How Air Ambulances (Don't) Work

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
There was an article in EP monthly a few years ago about the draconian business practices of private air ambulances. Today I saw a video posted that reinforces much of what was mentioned in the article. I thought it'd be an interesting discussion. This, on a day when Wall Street has been taken to the cleaners by some reddit community, they are responding in typical fashion - manipulation, panic and efforts to play by different rules than the public is offered. Here we discuss a completely unregulated market that profits from human suffering, while simultaneously operating with impunity.

The Article

The Video
Favorite helicopter transfer: guy drinking at a bar, gets drunk, falls off stool hits his head.

Helicopter called for pupil that’s fixed and dilated.

It was a glass eye.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12 users
I had a 19 yoF "stroke alert" that was a migraine who was discharged <40 mins after the helicopter landed (without a CT) and little granny (90 yo) who fell at the SNF and had a hip fracture. Cost of flight had to be around $60k "cuz they came from da boonies."

Members don't see this ad :)
Had a transfer when I was a resident for humeral fracture. Reason for transfer: because they had "helicopter insurance." He got a sling and d/c on arrival. He and his family were pissed!

Favorite helicopter transfer: guy drinking at a bar, gets drunk, falls off stool hits his head.

Helicopter called for pupil that’s fixed and dilated.

It was a glass eye.

This one might have fooled me honestly, unless it was an obvious fake or glowed back at you when you shined a light in it

I had a 19 yoF "stroke alert" that was a migraine who was discharged <40 mins after the helicopter landed (without a CT) and little granny (90 yo) who fell at the SNF and had a hip fracture. Cost of flight had to be around $60k "cuz they came from da boonies."

In all fairness I have had someone that age have an actual stroke: but that individual was on birth control, smoked and used etoh/cocaine on further hx.

For the granny I’ll be charitable and hope she was hypotensive

Had a transfer when I was a resident for humeral fracture. Reason for transfer: because they had "helicopter insurance." He got a sling and d/c on arrival. He and his family were pissed!

I would be too. That’s ludicrous

This was from when I was in med school on an EM rotation. Young kid has a near drowning. The initial plan was to discharge home as the kid was fine on exam and the family's in healthcare. Problem? They're vacationing from South America and had a flight home later that day. It's one thing to D/C home and come back if something changes vs being stuck on a plane if something happens... so they decide to transfer to the local children's hospital for observation.

Discharge to helicopter ride in 3.5 seconds.

People really don't understand both the insane cost and danger of HEMS.

And when they’re actually needed, they aren’t flying because there’s 1.4 clouds over the entire county

Reactions: 1 users
Hmmmm... Are we talking about Life Flight for transfers?
I sometimes use this service on critical care patients when I am working at the rural critical access site. Is there something wrong with doing that?
The Life Flight crew is just way better and more skilled than the ground crews.

This one might have fooled me honestly, unless it was an obvious fake or glowed back at you when you shined a light in it

In all fairness I have had someone that age have an actual stroke: but that individual was on birth control, smoked and used etoh/cocaine on further hx.

For the granny I’ll be charitable and hope she was hypotensive

I would be too. That’s ludicrous
This glass eye was not a subtle one.

Hmmmm... Are we talking about Life Flight for transfers?
I sometimes use this service on critical care patients when I am working at the rural critical access site. Is there something wrong with doing that?
The Life Flight crew is just way better and more skilled than the ground crews.
Skill set must be taken into consideration too. If you transport by ground, frequently it's paramedic only (not a nurse/paramedic combo).

Reactions: 1 user
HEMS definitely appears overused from my perspective. I try to be understanding and realize that not every provider transferring to me can tell the difference between urgent and emergent transfers (which of course raises a host of other concerns), but sometimes the deficiency is so glaring it's hard to be sympathetic.

Big city park with pretty rocky trails where I did undergrad. Multiple times I saw the air ambulance (owned by local hospital) swoop in to "rescue" someone with a possible ankle fracture that occured on a rocky-ish feature about 5 minutes up the trail. Complete abuse of resources at patients' expense. Edit: forgot to say that local hospital is a 5-7 minute drive without sirens from the trail head.

Members don't see this ad :)
This was from when I was in med school on an EM rotation. Young kid has a near drowning. The initial plan was to discharge home as the kid was fine on exam and the family's in healthcare. Problem? They're vacationing from South America and had a flight home later that day. It's one thing to D/C home and come back if something changes vs being stuck on a plane if something happens... so they decide to transfer to the local children's hospital for observation.

Discharge to helicopter ride in 3.5 seconds.

People really don't understand both the insane cost and danger of HEMS.
??

If they were good to DC home with return instructions, why wasn't the plan then changed to "reschedule your flight for tomorrow. Here's a note for the airline to help with rebooking it." I don't understand how observation at a children's hospital became plan B.

Then again, I don't see how a humerus fx wound up on a helicopter either, so I assume the answer is "some healthcare providers are dumb"

??

If they were good to DC home with return instructions, why wasn't the plan then changed to "reschedule your flight for tomorrow. Here's a note for the airline to help with rebooking it." I don't understand how observation at a children's hospital became plan B.

Then again, I don't see how a humerus fx wound up on a helicopter either, so I assume the answer is "some healthcare providers are dumb"

Like when I was working as a hospital employee at a tertiary care center and got a call for a transfer regarding a patellar dislocation that had relocated?

They apparently needed an emergent ortho consult. I told them he'd likely get a knee immobilizer and discharged without seeing an ortho. They sent anyway.

My shop is about 2 hours away from tertiary care. We fly only if necessary. Do the above providers not understand this can financially ruin people?

Skill set must be taken into consideration too. If you transport by ground, frequently it's paramedic only (not a nurse/paramedic combo).
In cases where patients need a higher level than available we just send a nurse to help. Often necessary in order to send PRN meds or titrate drips.

I feel like we mostly fly bad poly traumas ( we are a level 3) or interventional neuro cases.

I had a patient needing transfer not too long ago for a pretty time-critical issue. Accepting facility was a 6-hour drive away. Air EMS couldn't do it due to quite stormy weather in the entire region (though I think their price tag would have been worth it, in this case). Ground couldn't do it because there were too many protesters in the streets surrounding the accepting hospital, apparently. I found another hospital in a different direction to take the patient, but I wasn't pleased by all of this nonsense.

• Wow
My shop is about 2 hours away from tertiary care. We fly only if necessary. Do the above providers not understand this can financially ruin people?
I gotta be honest & say no, I did not. I probably should have realized this but I never thought about it.
I will likely change my practice after this thread.
What parameters do you look for that justify a helicopter transfer?

Also, just to be clear, I didn't really use it that much... We are talking about a handful of times in the year. But, now that I see this thread, I might even do it less than that or not at all.

I gotta be honest & say no, I did not. I probably should have realized this but I never thought about it.
I will likely change my practice after this thread.
What parameters do you look for that justify a helicopter transfer?

Also, just to be clear, I didn't really use it that much... We are talking about a handful of times in the year. But, now that I see this thread, I might even do it less than that or not at all.
Stroke going for VI, major traumas needing emergent surgery, someone going to the cath lab with a prolonged transport time, somebody coming for ECMO, etc. It really should be a time dependent issue.

Never fly: Lower extremity major bleeds (difficult to reach the lower legs with a lot of helicopters), OB (they will turn it down almost always) or ascending aortic dissections unless you know what type of rotor system the helicopter has. There are some helicopters with more rigid rotors (like the American Eurocopter EC135, now referred to as the Airbus H135). Those rigid rotors cause more vibrations on final approach. I'm sure there aren't any studies that have been done, but I can tell you from my flight experience, I've known of more than a few aortic dissections that have finished dissecting on final approach. Nothing like starting compressions as soon as you're skids down. Think about it. You don't ask your aortic dissections to jump up and down while waiting for cardiovascular surgery.

Reactions: 5 users
It really hit be hard when I had a patient come back into the ED that we had flown out previously. Told us he wished we would have just let him die because of the cost.

I can’t imagine being 3+ hours away from tertiary by ground. So much badness could happen in that time.

We don’t really have any parameters per se. But unless they need a time sensitive/emergent procedure or you if you really need to limit OOH time then they can probably go ground if you have a good crew. We are lucky we can send nurses with our ground crews.

Reactions: 3 users
Stroke going for VI, major traumas needing emergent surgery, someone going to the cath lab with a prolonged transport time, somebody coming for ECMO, etc. It really should be a time dependent issue.

Never fly: Lower extremity major bleeds (difficult to reach the lower legs with a lot of helicopters), OB (they will turn it down almost always) or ascending aortic dissections unless you know what type of rotor system the helicopter has. There are some helicopters with more rigid rotors (like the American Eurocopter EC135, now referred to as the Airbus H135). Those rigid rotors cause more vibrations on final approach. I'm sure there aren't any studies that have been done, but I can tell you from my flight experience, I've known of more than a few aortic dissections that have finished dissecting on final approach. Nothing like starting compressions as soon as you're skids down. Think about it. You don't ask your aortic dissections to jump up and down while waiting for cardiovascular surgery.

I get the principle but dissection is a really high mortality condition that is time sensitive. Without a trial, or at least a position statement with expert opinion I would have trouble justifying why I thought type a dissection should go over an hour by ground

Reactions: 6 users
or ascending aortic dissections unless you know what type of rotor system the helicopter has.

hmmm. Have had several ascending dissections arrest from rupture into the pericardium on landing. Never considered that the helicopter might be to blame. Just makes me hate dissections even more, hard to diagnose and if you have to transfer you're between the rock and hard place of a time sensitive diagnosis and ground being safer than air. Medicine isn't fair.

OK, this thread is great. Lots of learning here for me. I'm really glad we have a place like this to share knowledge.

I didn't even think about aortic dissection and risks of helicopter.

Only unfortunate thing is that the difference in crew abilities is huge between Life Flight & ground crew.

The Article

The Video
My home state has them price-fixed and operated by government subsidies

And when they’re actually needed, they aren’t flying because there’s 1.4 clouds over the entire county
There's a reason for that, in my home state at least. They used to take call info then look at the weather and head out based on instinct, but the problem was once they were told it was a pedi trauma before they looked at the weather. This clouded the crew's judgement and they chose to fly in less than optimal conditions, ended up hitting a powerline due to poor visibility, and everyone died except one nurse that was in an extended care SNF for the rest of her life. After this, objective measures for flight conditions were drawn up, and flight condition decisions were made prior to receiving call info.

OK, this thread is great. Lots of learning here for me. I'm really glad we have a place like this to share knowledge.

I didn't even think about aortic dissection and risks of helicopter.

Only unfortunate thing is that the difference in crew abilities is huge between Life Flight & ground crew.
It's really a problem. In many jurisdictions it's impossible to get a critical care crew for a ground transport, which is ridiculous. Air transport should be about time, but in many cases it's about level of care.

States cannot regulate prices for HEMS. If they choose to price fix, it's the vendor's choice to do that. The Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 prevents a state government from getting involved in rates or balance billing issues with air ambulances. I suspect one of the private equity groups that owns a helicopter vendor will sue the federal government over the federal balance billing act saying it violates the ADA.

So I work at a lot of smaller hospitals and often am looking at least 2-3 hour ground transportation times with 1 paramedic and 1 EMT in the ambulance. Are you all putting intubated patients in the back of these rigs, if they are otherwise stable? Makes me a bit nervous sometimes.

So I work at a lot of smaller hospitals and often am looking at least 2-3 hour ground transportation times with 1 paramedic and 1 EMT in the ambulance. Are you all putting intubated patients in the back of these rigs, if they are otherwise stable? Makes me a bit nervous sometimes.

Yes. If they are requiring active titration of multiple pressors or something I might send by air, but otherwise ground for stable ventilated +\-pressors

States cannot regulate prices for HEMS. If they choose to price fix, it's the vendor's choice to do that. The Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 prevents a state government from getting involved in rates or balance billing issues with air ambulances. I suspect one of the private equity groups that owns a helicopter vendor will sue the federal government over the federal balance billing act saying it violates the ADA.
Except it still happens. I don't know by what means they do it, but they do. Only one service operates in the state, and that's Life Star, which I flew on and learned a lot about when they were trying to recruit me back in the day. It's a small state, I suppose some air ambulance service could try and fight it out, but this is basically the 2019 version of the legislation that has controlled air ambulance prices in CT for a long while:

There's a reason for that, in my home state at least. They used to take call info then look at the weather and head out based on instinct, but the problem was once they were told it was a pedi trauma before they looked at the weather. This clouded the crew's judgement and they chose to fly in less than optimal conditions, ended up hitting a powerline due to poor visibility, and everyone died except one nurse that was in an extended care SNF for the rest of her life. After this, objective measures for flight conditions were drawn up, and flight condition decisions were made prior to receiving call info.
The problem with HEMS is that the history is full of fatal accidents from bad decisions. Essentially the Kobe Bryant accident is a theme in HEMS, not a one off. At the hospital I did med school at there's a plaque in the ED memorializing the crew from the Mercy Air 412 crash in California. They Kobe'd the helicopter (inadvertant flight into poor visability (IMF) followed by controlled flight into the ground)... while trying to get home.

Except it still happens. I don't know by what means they do it, but they do. Only one service operates in the state, and that's Life Star, which I flew on and learned a lot about when they were trying to recruit me back in the day. It's a small state, I suppose some air ambulance service could try and fight it out, but this is basically the 2019 version of the legislation that has controlled air ambulance prices in CT for a long while:
I think you are confused. Nothing in the document you quoted provides rates for air ambulance services. The prices quoted are for ground services that provide patient care to patients who are ultimately transported via helicopter. It normally costs about $12,000 per flight for operations costs. The quotes in the link you provided would make air medical services a money losing adventure in Connecticut.

There are two air medical services in Connecticut: Hartford Hospital’s LifeStar and Yale-New Haven’s SkyHealth, which is a joint venture with Northwell Health. LifeStar flies a nurse/respiratory therapist combo and SkyHealth flies a nurse/paramedic combo. SkyHealth flies two EC-135’s and LifeStar flies 2 EC-145’s along with 1 EC-135 based in MA. LifeStar 3 is operated by AirMethods. SkyHealth is operated by MedTrans.

Air medical services have successfully used the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 to get out of any rate setting by state balance billing acts. Likewise, it pretty much is grounds for the federal government to not be able to dictate their maximum rates. The government would have to create a new separate law to eliminate HEMS from the ADA in order for rate setting/balance billing laws to apply to them.

I’ve been away from CT for 12 years now, but I still stay in touch with quite a few key EMS players there.

Last edited:
I think you are confused. Nothing in the document you quoted provides rates for air ambulance services. The prices quoted are for ground services that provide patient care to patients who are ultimately transported via helicopter. It normally costs about $12,000 per flight for operations costs. The quotes in the link you provided would make air medical services a money losing adventure in Connecticut.

There are two air medical services in Connecticut: Hartford Hospital’s LifeStar and Yale-New Haven’s SkyHealth, which is a joint venture with Northwell Health. LifeStar flies a nurse/respiratory therapist combo and SkyHealth flies a nurse/paramedic combo. SkyHealth flies two EC-135’s and LifeStar flies 2 EC-145’s along with 1 EC-135 based in MA. LifeStar 3 is operated by AirMethods. SkyHealth is operated by MedTrans.

Air medical services have successfully used the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 to get out of any rate setting by state balance billing acts. Likewise, it pretty much is grounds for the federal government to not be able to dictate their maximum rates. The government would have to create a new separate law to eliminate HEMS from the ADA in order for rate setting/balance billing laws to apply to them.

I’ve been away from CT for 12 years now, but I still stay in touch with quite a few key EMS players there.
Skyhealth started in 2015, guess my info is a little old (I left the state in 2014). The 'ol Life Star (I refuse to capitalize it because it'll change my autocorrect of those two words FOREVER) was the only game in town back in around the financial crisis when I was most connected to the issue. I used to be a respiratory therapist, and flew on Life Star once when they were looking to recruit me (I don't know if they still do, but they used to allow you to spend time in the command center and to do a ride along if you were interested in joining and were light enough). A certain Hawai'ian shirt wearing madman of that bunch encouraged me to give it a shot, I was light (145 pounds) and seemed bright and eager for some action, the kind of kid who would get bored in respiratory unless I was practicing to the limits of my license. That observation would later prove to be prescient, hence my medical degree.

In my time learning the ropes, they went over safety protocols, funding issues (which were great at the time), and the button not to press on my comms if I decided to have a panic attack midflight lest I broadcast it to the whole state. I guess I was mistaken by the state setting fees legally. The company operating the service worked with the state to set a fair price though, even if legislation was absent. This probably had something to do with the regular funding subsidies provided to the service in the annual state budget, and with the overall costs to patients being pretty affordable for the service provided. Naturally my first flight, with the legendary Pilot 1 no less, was a disaster. For reference, everybody had a number, and I knew the 3 surviving RTs from the first batch of 4. Hawaii was one of them, though he'd since decided he wanted a more quiet life of intubating in the ED, as was the director of my respiratory program, who also had the good sense to get out. Horrific pediatric trauma, the sort of thing you never forget, even the veteran crew was pretty shaken. Between that bloody mess and the flight that went down making me think about how on an hour-for-hour basis air ambulance work is arguably the most dangerous job in the nation, I picked a less exciting path.

I will say, even if most air ambulance services are corrupt as all hell with their billing practices, LS always seemed ethical and didn't have a bad reputation in the slightest. Their mission always seemed more public service and less about making piles of cash. A second service in the state is worrying, given that the existing one seemed to have the right way of operating, both professionally and ethically, and I worry the only reason this new service popped up is that they heard there was a fresh market waiting to be exploited.

SkyHealth popped up because of the large number of transports that occurred to Yale. Most of LifeStar’s business wasn’t scene flights, but was transfers to Hartford Hospital and to Yale. There really wasn’t much coverage in the western part of the state, which is where SkyHealth concentrates.

Most hospital-based systems do not aggressively bill. It’s usually the private air ambulances that are aggressive with their rates.

They tend to crash too.

Please dont spread this disinformation
#1 Ive been in the HEMS business for 30+ years and have personally flown 4000+ patients. I have reviewed thousands of transports. There is absolutely no effect of helicopter vibration on any type of aortic dissections. None whatsoever. Not even mentioned in the medical literature. Vibrations of any ground transport is going to be worse than air the vast majority of the time-no effect on dissections there either.
#2 LE trauma is never a factor in the decision of ground vs air. It would be negligent for a HEMS crew to load any pt( or a doctor to transfer) with ongoing LE hemorrhage. You can always control LE bleeding -worst case, use a tourniquet or two
#3 OB agree. Dont send someone in active labor or at risk for precipitous delivery by helicopter

I have seen 2 pts die of a leaking AAA and 2 die from massive epistaxis during ground transport because the sending MD refused to send by air over concerns of non-existant "altitude effects"

The problem with HEMS is that the history is full of fatal accidents from bad decisions. Essentially the Kobe Bryant accident is a theme in HEMS, not a one off. At the hospital I did med school at there's a plaque in the ED memorializing the crew from the Mercy Air 412 crash in California. They Kobe'd the helicopter (inadvertant flight into poor visability (IMF) followed by controlled flight into the ground)... while trying to get home.

When you learn that HEMS is almost always single pilot (to fit the stretcher and save weight), it’s even more scary. Single pilot, in a helicopter, with immense time pressure, then you throw in inadvertent flight into IMC...it’s amazing there haven’t been more regulations to make it safer. Two of the reasons commercial fixed-wing aviation is incredibly safe is because they always have two pilots and can use technology like ILS/RNAV approaches and landings in bad weather (basically advanced auto-pilot that can almost or completely land the plane by itself). HEMS has none of those safety measures :(

For reference, the fatality rate for HEMS is 2-2.5 per 100,000 flight hours...for the airlines, it is has been between 0 and 0.01 per 100,000 flight hours in the last 10 years

Last edited:
I get the principle but dissection is a really high mortality condition that is time sensitive. Without a trial, or at least a position statement with expert opinion I would have trouble justifying why I thought type a dissection should go over an hour by ground

Yeah I'm gonna agree here, If I'm more than 1 hr by ground EMS with a type A dissection, I'm calling the chopper. That being said, this is theoretical for me as my most distant site is only 1 hr driving from the ivory tower (and our rural EMS can make it in 40 minutes slamming the gas and running lights and sirens).

Please dont spread this disinformation
#1 Ive been in the HEMS business for 30+ years and have personally flown 4000+ patients. I have reviewed thousands of transports. There is absolutely no effect of helicopter vibration on any type of aortic dissections. None whatsoever. Not even mentioned in the medical literature. Vibrations of any ground transport is going to be worse than air the vast majority of the time-no effect on dissections there either.
#2 LE trauma is never a factor in the decision of ground vs air. It would be negligent for a HEMS crew to load any pt( or a doctor to transfer) with ongoing LE hemorrhage. You can always control LE bleeding -worst case, use a tourniquet or two
#3 OB agree. Dont send someone in active labor or at risk for precipitous delivery by helicopter

I have seen 2 pts die of a leaking AAA and 2 die from massive epistaxis during ground transport because the sending MD refused to send by air over concerns of non-existant "altitude effects"
Not my experience. I agree there is nothing published, but I disagree it has no effect. Anecdotal, yes, but there is a basis behind it. We have never had a study to show that parachutes actually prevent deaths.

Are you saying that you can reach a foot in an EC-135 in flight? At least with a Bell 407, 206, or EC-130 you can ask the pilot to hold pressure (I'm joking, the pilot has enough to do and plus many have partitions to separate the patient from the pilot).

The altitude effects are non-existent with the altitude that helicopters fly. No pneumothorax is going to expand exponentially from ground level or at a couple thousand feet at most.

Not my experience. I agree there is nothing published, but I disagree it has no effect. Anecdotal, yes, but there is a basis behind it. We have never had a study to show that parachutes actually prevent deaths.

Are you saying that you can reach a foot in an EC-135 in flight? At least with a Bell 407, 206, or EC-130 you can ask the pilot to hold pressure (I'm joking, the pilot has enough to do and plus many have partitions to separate the patient from the pilot).

The altitude effects are non-existent with the altitude that helicopters fly. No pneumothorax is going to expand exponentially from ground level or at a couple thousand feet at most.

I think you can get control of the hemorrhage of any lower extremity bleed with a tourniquet (or two), the problem is what are you going to do when the tourniquet has to come down? This is why I'm putting the patient in the helicopter. At some point they need to get to a vascular/trauma/orthopedic surgeon (and if you are calling a chopper you don't have one/any of those).

Its a question of any transfer/transport, there is risk of transfer vs. risk of staying. I think the shorter transfer time of a helicopter wins out over ground with any uncontrolled bleeding (assuming long transport time in general).

Just because they can physically reach, what is a paramedic in the back of a truck going to do if the hemorrhage isn't controlled with two tourniquets, what else can they do? Best bet is run transfusions and get to definitive surgical/interventional hemostasis as fast as possible, and the helicopter is faster than ground.

Of course, as soon as I read this thread I am bombarded with ads for AirMedCare Network.

It's really a problem. In many jurisdictions it's impossible to get a critical care crew for a ground transport, which is ridiculous. Air transport should be about time, but in many cases it's about level of care.
One of my sites faces this problem several times every week. Impossible to get ground critical care transport. As a result, they want me to fly patients out that don't really need it. It drives me nuts. We are only 40 minutes from the tertiary center, but we have to fly people simply because can't get ground transport.

I try to be firm in saying no to the pressure to fly stable patients who don't need time sensitive interventions, but sometimes I have no other options.

Last edited:
One of my sites faces this problem several times every week. Impossible to get ground critical care transport. As a result, they want me to fly patients out that don't really need it. It drives me nuts. We are only 40 minutes from the tertiary center, but we have to fly people simply because can't get ground transport.

I try to be firm in saying no to the pressure to fly stable patients who don't need time sensitive interventions, but sometimes I have no other options.

Same here. I work at a critical access hospital 45 minutes from my main metro area. The nurses prompt to activate air transport on stable things like DKA. I push back as much as I can, but sometimes it's not worth fighting them.

Had one of the air-ambulance nurses trying to intubate my 34 yo GCS 15 hemi-plegic ICH patient, cuz "You know doc the aircraft is small and it's a nightmare to intubate in the dark up there if she loses her airway". Fortunately I put a stop to it.

Had one of the air-ambulance nurses trying to intubate my 34 yo GCS 15 hemi-plegic ICH patient, cuz "You know doc the aircraft is small and it's a nightmare to intubate in the dark up there if she loses her airway". Fortunately I put a stop to it.

It presents some challenges doing it mid-flight, but that doesn't mean you intubate every single patient. Video laryngoscopes help tremendously.

A really great summary of the economics and ethics of the American air ambulance industry
Its 20 minutes but well worth it if interested.

Over half of all US air ambulances are owned and operated by just TWO massive international private equity firms. Where do you think their priorities lie.. with the shareholders or the patients?

Last edited:
A really great summary of the economics and ethics of the American air ambulance industry
Its 20 minutes but well worth it if interested.

Over half of all US air ambulances are owned and operated by just TWO massive international private equity firms. Where do you think their priorities lie.. with the shareholders or the patients?

This was linked in the original post that started this thread ;)

• Haha