the "Feel" of medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roadrunner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking with a couple of medicine residents today about the general "feel" of IM residents. For example, Peds people are friendly, OB are bitchy, FP can be touchy-feely, path are nerdy. What do you think about medicine residents (and attendings)...

Members don't see this ad.

Roadrunner said:
I was talking with a couple of medicine residents today about the general "feel" of IM residents. For example, Peds people are friendly, OB are bitchy, FP can be touchy-feely, path are nerdy. What do you think about medicine residents (and attendings)...
Anal-retentive members of lambda-lambda-lambda.

"cerebral" (and I agree, anal-retentive)

I'm not criticizing...I love these people, and I'm a total wannabe IM guy! :laugh:

And lets face it, wouldn't you want your doc to be really anal about taking care of you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm tri-lambda nerdy, with a touch of cerebrosity, and many of us like people too.

Seriously, which part of medicine are you asking about? GI and CARDS are different than Pulm/critical care, nephrology, or gen med / primary care. There are so many options in IM I'm not sure if any one type of personality really predominates.

My take is that medicine people are of course intellectual and love to mull things over. Generally like people, especially the docs interested in primary care, but with a little less tolerance for social issues of patients than say FP. Socially friendly people for the most part, but a good 10-15% are a**holes who probably should have chosen a more hard-nosed profession like being a repo man for the IRS. Definitely inquisitive types who want to get to the bottom of things--sometimes having to live with more ambiguity than a general surgeon who may just operate to find out what's going on (which doesn't necessarily clarify the matter). Overall, these are the true-blues of medicine (medicine in the broader sense), they chose the profession because they want to help, they enjoy the intellectual pursuit, and they are the glue of hospitals. People I want to hang out with and hopefully I never fall into the 10-15% a**hole minority.

I think one of my greatest compliments was from a neurosurgeon who called me "such a flea."

People who chose IM are those who embrace medicine in the truest sence - scientific curiousity, humanitarian concern, civic duty. IM doctors are obviously the epitomy of the physician in every way. IM doc = noble person.

:laugh: