The Financial issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
<---- looks furtively around for mod . . .

I suppose this could go on forever, as long as we don't offer medical advice.:p

BayleeVet2B said:
My mom is in the "human" medical field and actually the "antibiotic/birth control interaction" has not been scientifically proven to be true! Just my two cents worth in what is a VERY interesting conversation!!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12436822

That is actually somewhat convincing. However, I'd like to know the scope of their review (i.e., every study that has been done at Penn, only Dental studies, etc.), and whether the retrospective studies were validated (I know, I know, that was their whole point, but the review doesn't say whether they bothered to check this out).

flyhi said:
Seriously, anyone ever heard of ADOPTION?? What's all this bull about paying for abortions v. raising a child?? Gimme a friggin break. There are a ton of wonderful couples who would love to have your child and.......pay for everything...what a concept.

Yes and no. Unfortunately, there are so many rules and regulations surrounding adoption at this point that "would love" has almost nothing to do with it. Try adopting with a bankruptcy on your record. Or a criminal conviction. Try adopting as a single parent. Or as a gay couple. (Yes, I went there.) Or a combination of factors. I remember re-reading Anne of Green Gables and thinking "wow, they're sending for a kid like I'd send out for pizza."

sumstorm said:
On a different angle, my husband's mother didn't have him till she was 48. She thought she had already started the change of life. They had tried to have children and had accepted that they just weren't able. Then she had her tonsils removed due to recurring infections. One month later she was pregnant...they assume that the antibiotics cleared up a low grade infection.

I assume "change of life" refers to menopause? Maybe it was her tonsils that were preventing pregnancy. :p Or, with a slightly more scientific approach, maybe she did have (a) low-grade infection(s), and these were enough to throw off her systemic homeostasis to the point where her body couldn't support the fetal implantation in the uterine lining? In that case, it wouldn't be the antibiotics that interfered with her birth control, but rather the biotics already extant.

Have there been any systematic studies of infertility that focus on *cause* instead of solution? I'm asking in genuine curiosity, not to tweak anybody.

And finally . . . just because I feel like lecturing (must be the overbearing, arrogant male in me :D), remember that we're entering a relatively small community. I know that some folks will always butt heads almost on first meeting (my favorite study parter is a pre-med whom nobody else can seem to get along with). Just in the NYC area, I know vets who won't speak to each other at conferences, or who are so radically opposed to another's practice philosophy that they run them down constantly. With that said, I wonder if everyone here is aware that there are very good odds that we will all interact on a professional or semi-professional level at some point in our careers (unless you graduate, move to the bayou, or the sticks, or wherever your preferred hole-in-the-wall is, and never emerge again and never do any CE and never update your knowledge but I know that nobody here would ever do that) . . . and the things said on message boards exist forever. To provide a non-medical example, there's an entire portion of the LGBT community that *still* (six years later) will not watch/read/discuss anything that Joss Whedon has done post Season Six of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, because he had the nerve to kill off a lesbian character. And the vitriol they spilled on message boards six years ago is still cited in discussions about the issues, and is still ruining friendships.

Ok, off my soapbox, return to your poo-slinging, I'll keep the parvosol handy.

HEY!! Anyone want to comment on the AIG bonus returns? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes and no. Unfortunately, there are so many rules and regulations surrounding adoption at this point that "would love" has almost nothing to do with it. Try adopting with a bankruptcy on your record. Or a criminal conviction. Try adopting as a single parent. Or as a gay couple. (Yes, I went there.) Or a combination of factors.

Yes, the adoption system is screwed up horribly. It's screwed up no matter which way you look at it - as a birthparent, as an adoptee, as a parent wishing to adopt. It is not an option for just anyone - and unfortunately, the lines dividing 'feasible' and 'not feasible' are very strict.

But it should be discussed more. Until people realize the system is completely screwed up, there's not going to be anything done about it. Yet the fact remains that there are more than two options, as a pregnant woman. Any one of them has drawbacks, but they should all be known about.

Until people realize the system is completely screwed up, there's not going to be anything done about it.

This particular argument is a very good one for why the government shouldn't provide any support for the financial industry, auto industry, etc. Let the entire thing go to hell, so that people realize how untenable the model is, and then replace it with something that's actually grounded in reality as opposed to a calculus that was never designed to work in the real world.

Yet the fact remains that there are more than two options, as a pregnant woman. Any one of them has drawbacks, but they should all be known about.

Oh, I agree with you completely. And I'd even go so far as to agree that information about all options should be readily available. However, I also hold that once the information is presented (without histronics, appeals to emotion, and only if it has been properly validated), it is the individual woman's responsibility to make that decision - anyone else merely has an advisory role. And yes, this means that I don't think that the male part of the equation should have any binding say in the outcome of a pregnancy. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
To provide a non-medical example, there's an entire portion of the LGBT community that *still* (six years later) will not watch/read/discuss anything that Joss Whedon has done post Season Six of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, because he had the nerve to kill off a lesbian character.

I hope there is more to that story, because that is the single dumbest thing I have ever heard. That portion of the LGBT community should be ashamed.

I hope there is more to that story, because that is the single dumbest thing I have ever heard. That portion of the LGBT community should be ashamed.

Yes, there is . . . I didn't represent the argument well at all. Basically, they argued that he was bold enough to present the first normal lesbian couple on network television (i.e., they weren't comic-relief fodder, they weren't constantly fighting, they weren't a pair of girls "experimenting," they were normal, healthy, well-adjusted, in-love young women), and then fell into the evil-dead-lesbian cliche (which springs out of the pulp-fiction of the 1920s and 1930s, as well as the cult-sexploitation films of the 1940s and 1950s). So they castigated him for not continuing to be courageous. And they felt (using what I believe is called reader-response theory) that their relationship to the character was just as valid as his, and that by not being aware of the attachment present in the fan community, Whedon was being unfair to his audience, and failing in his contract with them.

It falls into the field of media-criticism, which I sometimes have patience for, and sometimes devolve into "guys, it's a story . . . get over it."

You know, I'm completely 100% with Twelvetigers on this... I'm honestly a little repulsed by some of the attitude/poop slinging going on...I've been away for a couple days and saw that this thread really filled up, which was a relief bc I was looking forward to some informed opinions on this issue, considering this is a huge factor which is causing me stress right now. So, PLEASE GET BACK ON TOPIC...IF YOU WANT TO DEBATE ETHICAL ISSUES, THEN START ANOTHER THREAD! And, you can have a mature and healthy debate without all of the personal negative attacks...

Geez, I guess the honeymoon is over... only a month or so back, everyone was so supportive, and happy-go-lucky... everyone was everyone's biggest cheerleader in successfully getting through this. Now, most have gotten acceptances... I don't know if it's the stress of making a decision or maybe realizing that we are about to embark on the most stressful 4 years of our lives... but lord almighty, let's bring back the sense of comraderie to this forum! This is not the time to turn on one another....

Oh, I agree with you completely. And I'd even go so far as to agree that information about all options should be readily available. However, I also hold that once the information is presented (without histronics, appeals to emotion, and only if it has been properly validated), it is the individual woman's responsibility to make that decision - anyone else merely has an advisory role. And yes, this means that I don't think that the male part of the equation should have any binding say in the outcome of a pregnancy. :eek:

I second everything here. I would also add on that, in my ideal world, once a woman decides to give birth, each parent should be able to decide for themselves what their involvement in the child's future will be - physical presence AND financial aid. I realize the issues with practicality of this, which is why I say 'ideal'.

Sooo..... back on topic-

Debt freaks me out. Sure, there's family/ growing up stuff in there, and that's part of it, but not all of it. Debt makes it harder to do things I enjoy.

Example. I have a nasty travel habit. I have 60 grand in student loans and a disgusting amount of consumer debt that I'm paying down (mostly from difficulty getting the money from the student loans, and general stupidity).

If I'm not in school my loan payments are between 6 and 7 hundred dollars a month. I pay about that on my other debt now, to pay it down. Yesterday I found a sweet deal to london, $550 give or take, round trip. I can't go. Not even for a weekend. I can't miss that much work, and still stay on schedule for my payments. Because of my debt, I can't do something I really enjoy. Likewise with living someplace I like more than Wyoming- I can feed myself and pay down my bills here, so I live here.

If I had no debt, I'd be in CA, where I have in state tuition status, unless they've changed that. So I live in a place I hate.

The less you owe, the more options you have. I like options, so I try (and usually fail) to have less debt. Golf season starts here in about a month, but I probably won't play much this year, because I can use the $500 for the season pass for better things. Like avocados, or textbooks, or one quarter's interest on my private loans.

It's not just risk analysis. There's figuring out what you like in your down-time too. My hobbies just happen to be time and energy intensive. Heck, if I could I'd move every year. People need to look at these things too. After all, I *could* afford golf this year. But if I don't do it now, I might be able to drop to less than full time sometime before I graduate, or even take a whole summer off.

So I guess my advice would be to make a list of things that you value, and rank them, and figure out what kind of debt you can/ are willing to take on and still enjoy your life the way you want it.

-j.

Oh, and I'm 30, if that makes any difference.

Yes, there is . . . I didn't represent the argument well at all. Basically, they argued that he was bold enough to present the first normal lesbian couple on network television (i.e., they weren't comic-relief fodder, they weren't constantly fighting, they weren't a pair of girls "experimenting," they were normal, healthy, well-adjusted, in-love young women), and then fell into the evil-dead-lesbian cliche (which springs out of the pulp-fiction of the 1920s and 1930s, as well as the cult-sexploitation films of the 1940s and 1950s). So they castigated him for not continuing to be courageous. And they felt (using what I believe is called reader-response theory) that their relationship to the character was just as valid as his, and that by not being aware of the attachment present in the fan community, Whedon was being unfair to his audience, and failing in his contract with them.

It falls into the field of media-criticism, which I sometimes have patience for, and sometimes devolve into "guys, it's a story . . . get over it."

That is a much more reasonable story. At least now I can understand where outrage might come from. I think I still stand in the "its just TV get over it camp", but eh.

I feel the fear of student loan debt too. One thing I thought I would throw out there that has helped me to breath easier is something called vocational rehabilitation. This only applies for some people and I don't know what all colleges have this available to students, but it is great program.

In order to be accepted you have to have a "disability" (can be anything from ADD to cancer: I was accepted because I am a type one diabetic) that affects school and your ability to work in some way. And once you have applied and they have received medical information verifying your disability then all sorts of opportunities are available to you. They pay any where from 40-60% of tuition for undergrad and vet school (which is AWESOME because that means they will pay for about 32,000 of my total in state vet tuition for four years!). And based on income they pay a percentage of other medical expenses.

Like I said I don't know how it works at other colleges. But where I am from the college provides an office for voc rehab on campus. So if you have some sort of a disability-whether health or learning definately check it out:thumbup:

Vocational rehabilitation sounds amazing. I have to check if Penn has that. God damn that would be amazing. Was that a college program or a federal program?

Thanks

In order to be accepted you have to have a "disability" (can be anything from ADD to cancer: I was accepted because I am a type one diabetic) that affects school and your ability to work in some way. And once you have applied and they have received medical information verifying your disability then all sorts of opportunities are available to you. They pay any where from 40-60% of tuition for undergrad and vet school (which is AWESOME because that means they will pay for about 32,000 of my total in state vet tuition for four years!). And based on income they pay a percentage of other medical expenses.

Like I said I don't know how it works at other colleges. But where I am from the college provides an office for voc rehab on campus. So if you have some sort of a disability-whether health or learning definitely check it out:thumbup:

Can you possibly provide a link/more info? I did a quick Google search and only turned up a program for veterans and various state programs that help people find jobs, not pay for school. My mom works with hearing impaired and sometimes multiple disability kids in Virginia...if a program like the one you mention exists in VA, I'm sure she'd love to hear about it.

Do you mind my asking what state are you in and what school are you at? Thanks!

I don't feel comfortable giving out info about where are I am from, but I did do some research for you guys so I hope this helps.

Go to this link: http://wdcrobcolp01.ed.gov/Programs/EROD/org_list.cfm?category_ID=SVR

This provides a list of State Vocational Rehabilitation Agency. Click on the website for your state-this takes you to a website that provides info for people with disabilites in your state. I think the easiest thing to do is type in office of vocational rehabilitation into the search bar and find the contact info for an office near you (there is a main office in each state and then multiple offices branching off that throughout the state. My college happened to house one of those offices for my state, so try typing in vocational rehabilitation into your schools website search bar and see if they have one on campus). They would be able to tell you more info about what your state offers.

I hope that helps!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sumstorm-I believe there are different areas of voc rehab. I believe the area you are talking extends past schooling. Again I don't know the in's and out's of it-but I am referring to voc rehab assisting with helping students finding a job and since schooling falls under something you need for certain jobs they help pay for that. It was communicated to me that once I find a career (finish vet school and start working) they no longer help pay (my file is closed). I was just accepted into the program and I am still learning so by all means I don't know everything. Just thought I would throw it out there because I am sure there are people on the forum that have disabilities. I found this link: http://www.pct.edu/disabilityservices/rehabilitationAct.htm

It doesn't talk about what Voc Rehab does, but it does talk about what they qualify as a disability I believe. So, if you don't fall under these categories voc rehab will probably not apply to you.

• Blindness/Visual Impairments
  • Cancer
  • ADHD/ADD
  • Cerebral Palsy
  • Deafness/Hearing Impairments
  • Epilepsy
  • Diabetes
  • Learning Disabilities
  • AIDS/HIV infection
  • Multiple Sclerosis
  • Speech Impairments
  • Mobility Impairments
  • Psychological disabilities
  • Brain Injury

It can be an amazing program if you qualify (late hubby recieved full tuition for 2 years plus a monthly living stipend.) He also, due to the kidney failure/transplant qualified for federal loan forgiveness (though he always said he would rather have paid his loans back and avoided the years of dialysis.)

I am sorry to hear about your late husband. It makes me very sad to hear about stories like this-especially since I am a type I diabetic.

Sooo..... back on topic-
Because of my debt, I can't do something I really enjoy. Likewise with living someplace I like more than Wyoming- I can feed myself and pay down my bills here, so I live here.

Totally off topic but not abortion related

wow! I've never known anyone from Wyoming and always wanted to visit. (Cowboys?) Just out of ignorance/curiosity what don't you like about it?

I think the amount DVR pays varies from state to state.

I have Vocational Rehabilitation now and a couple years ago, there was a cap because of funding issues to only 4,000$ for the year (undergraduate). The cap was lifted and helped pay remaining amount owed to my school (only after I had taken out the max out other government loan sources).

I was also informed this year that for my graduate school next semester, there is a cap of $4,000. So while it doesn't pay for everything, my philosophy is $4,000 a year helps!!

Thanks for all the information on Vocational Rehabilitation. This is the first time I've ever been happy to have visual impairments. My genetic disorders are finally coming up big.

I am definitely going to look into this further when I leave work.

You mentioned that the funding is by state, but am I looking into the program for my state of residence, or the state I am going to school in?

Thanks

Thanks for all the information on Vocational Rehabilitation. This is the first time I've ever been happy to have visual impairments. My genetic disorders are finally coming up big.

You mentioned that the funding is by state, but am I looking into the program for my state of residence, or the state I am going to school in?

Thanks

I believe it is state of residence. I say this because when I talked to the lady at voc rehab she said if I go to another vet school out of the state that I am in now, then they still just pay for about half of the tuition for what my instate vet school costs would be-not what that schools out of state cost is.

Last edited:

Thanks

any idea how severe you need the visual impairment to be? I couldn't find it on the site.

It's state of residency.

Another note about DVR, it's slow as the dickens to get anything done, so be patient and constantly call/remind/send e-mails, etc. I've been a case since I was in high school and my funding for my school would chronically be late to the point where one year I paid off my first semester halfway through my second semester...

It has to be a disability that shows an impact and you and demonstrates you need additional training to be a candidate in the real world. My vision doesn't count (I wear corrective lenses and that fixes the issue), so much worse than that, I imagine!

Ya, I agree with themightyfuzz. If you just wear regular glasses I don't think that counts.

I would third that. I doubt glasses would cut it. I have uncorrectable bad vision (unless I have cornea surgery) so Im hoping that will be enough.

You might also want to check your school in regards to how they deal with disabilities. In trying to research this DVR stuff I discovered that Penn has a disabled students scholarship fund that you can apply to for money. So your individual school might also have stuff for you.

I would third that. I doubt glasses would cut it. I have uncorrectable bad vision (unless I have cornea surgery) so Im hoping that will be enough.

Mine is getting to that point as well (keratoconus), but can still be corrected to about 30/20 with rigid gas permeable lenses (which I hate hate hate!). The best glasses can do for me anymore is 70/20.

Mine is getting to that point as well (keratoconus), but can still be corrected to about 30/20 with rigid gas permeable lenses (which I hate hate hate!). The best glasses can do for me anymore is 70/20.

I also have keratoconus. I had a cornea transplant in my right eye in December. I still can't quite see much from it, but doc says it is healing nicely. In the left eye I am also rocking the rigid gas permeable lenses, and I agree, they are a pain in the ass (or eye). i just checked the website for DVR and sadly I dont qualify. My bad eye can't see **** right now, but since my better eye is mostly correctable (to like 20/40), I can't qualify. You have to be at least 20/70 in your better eye.

wow! I've never known anyone from Wyoming and always wanted to visit. (Cowboys?) Just out of ignorance/curiosity what don't you like about it?

Um... I'm a liberal, relatively strict vegetarian. I also don't giggle or like guys who chew tobacco or hit women. So I exclude automatically about 90% of the male population. The other 10% are either gay or ranchers, who won't go out with me anyway. So most of it is social.

Also, it's the end of march and we just had a blizzard. Should be getting them for about another three months. I biked into the wind both to and from class today. If I had an SO and a car, it wouldn't be that bad. But without either liberal, city raised me gets kinda stir crazy. On the plus side- it is cheap....

If you do visit, go up north. the southern part of the state (where the university and I both live) is pretty barren. unless you're a rock climber, then vedauwoo is pretty darned neat. but all the pretty stuff is up north. southern part of the state is almost all mining.

It is my fervent hope that other adcoms monitor this thread, as we do, and dig a bit deeper to evaluate the marginal candidacy of applicants who post here. The mere thought of these socially, intellectually and emotionally challenged individuals holding a professional license and holding the public trust is horrifying, at best.

It is my fervent hope that other adcoms monitor this thread, as we do, and dig a bit deeper to evaluate the marginal candidacy of applicants who post here. The mere thought of these socially, intellectually and emotionally challenged individuals holding a professional license and holding the public trust is horrifying, at best.

Sorry to crush your hopes and dreams, but I would say there is a 0% chance that the dumb **** people say on these boards plays any part in admissions decisions.

You also have to remember that the internet brings out the worst in everyone. It is the price of anonymity. Cut everyone a little slack.

If you're going to act that petty, you should really check out the pre-allo forums, cause at our worst I don't think we're half as bad as those people who are going to be holding professional licenses, public trust and a lot of money one day. ;)

This has been a very entertaining thread. It's not surprising that a discussion revolving around finances took a sour turn. What IS surprising is that in the middle of all this financial-gone-abortion talk, someone found a way to make a reference to Buffy, which by the way, WAS THE BEST SHOW EVER!!
:laugh:
So Mistoffeles, you are my freakin hero for that! And Nyanko and Vnair, you guys rock as well. And Twelvetigers, I love your calvin quote. Muah!!

:bow:Keep up the good work!:bow:

I guess I didn't really understand why this was funny. Sumstorm has been very kind to me when I asked her questions about diabetes and what not. She has a lot of wisdom to share. I didn't think the comments made towards her were funny at all. I am sure I will be getting some poop thrown in my direction-but oh well. I am just standing up for a nice person.

I guess I didn't really understand why this was funny. Sumstorm has been very kind to me when I asked her questions about diabetes and what not. She has a lot of wisdom to share. I didn't think the comments made towards her were funny at all. I am sure I will be getting some poop thrown in my direction-but oh well. I am just standing up for a nice person.

I don't imagine anyone is going to rail on you for that statement. I don't think anyone here is a dick. Sumstorm is often helpful and even sometimes nice, but her often superior attitude is frustrating. I understand that her life has been complicated, but that does not mean she knows better then everyone else about everything.

And quite frankly, I find her insistence on reminding everyone of her complicated life in every post incredibly comical.

And you've done your very best at making certain that anyone who disagrees with you feels like you're putting down their decisions and devaluing their life experiences with your constant one-upmanship.

Sumstorm is often helpful and even sometimes nice, but her often superior attitude is frustrating. I understand that her life has been complicated, but that does not mean she knows better then everyone else about everything.

Sorry Poochlover, I hate to be ugly but I have to agree with nyanko and vnair2 on this one. Ever since the "Debt Load" thread I have felt the same way.

We were doing so good going back on topic, guys. I think the point has been made - people can agree or disagree, but do we seriously have to sit around discussing someone's personality characteristics on a public internet forum?

It's so hard to read people on the internet via "posts" that I'm sure we all make some assumptions about the person posting. Now whether the person making the post is actually the way we've come to "see" them, who knows. Sumstorm has indeed been helpful, no one is arguing there.

I think it's funny the way the thread veered sharply to the left at one point and anyone who blinked would wonder what happened, where'd the thread go? And the answer is... it went straight towards the giant pile of poop.

Ahh, internet ambiguity.

Don't worry, pooch - I think most of us know not to take any of this stuff personally. :)

Well since we're off-topic anyway, twelvetigers has my favorite avatar and siggy. I'm a big Calvin and Hobbes fan. Got the big book set a few years ago. It weighs as much as a tombstone, but I love it. :D

I have the books too, but from when I was little, so they're ratty and stained and, quite frankly, a bit disgusting. I should get a new set someday... that I'm not scared to touch.

I think everyone loves Calvin and Hobbes. Like what I said about cookies... if someone doesn't like it, I don't trust 'em!

Sorry, wasn't trying to get back off topic-was actually trying to get back on topic earlier with the voc rehab (hope some people found that info useful :)) thing. Thanks for not railing-appreciate it. Just wanted to put in a good word for Sumstorm because she has been helpful. Anyways back to financial issues.

-Pooch

Erm,... I think most people posting in this thread (about debt/financial issues) are already accepted anyway. So I think you, and other adcoms trying to critique potential applicants based on what they say on this anonymous forum would be wasting your time.

Also ditto on Nyanko's comment- Pre-Allo's are 10X's worse than us any day of the week. :)

I think debt is a very important aspect of everyone's lives, esp. when concerning today's students and the US economy. So, although I am fresh out of UG, I am weary (okay scared...) of upcoming costs and debt because it really isn't a new concept to my family.

I would just like to present another situation where it might be hard to see the options as black and white.
- Accepted at a comparably priced OOS school, and wait-listed at your much more affordable and favorable IS school -

Give up the OOS in hopes (because you are not given an alternate number/ANY HELPFUL INFO AT ALL :mad: from adcoms) of being shifted to the acceptance list before classes begin or end up just having to apply again the next year? Or would you go for the "sure-thing" on a more expensive and debt-laden path?

I would just like to present another situation where it might be hard to see the options as black and white.
- Accepted at a comparably priced OOS school, and wait-listed at your much more affordable and favorable IS school -

Give up the OOS in hopes (because you are not given an alternate number/ANY HELPFUL INFO AT ALL :mad: from adcoms) of being shifted to the acceptance list before classes begin or end up just having to apply again the next year? Or would you go for the "sure-thing" on a more expensive and debt-laden path?

What would be preventing you from accepting the OOS spot, staying on the IS waitlist and withdrawing the OOS spot if you get in IS?

on this thread so I failed to mention that the OOS is really an OOCountry - as in UK.

So, I guess if factoring in the living abroad experience is important for some, then that would have been important to include.

Making arrangements and deposits required for the international school are pretty intensive and part of the debt-ing process.

Fortunately the deadline for acceptance for the UK school is after the deadline for the acceptances into the IS school, so I'll know where I stand before making any final decisions.

On that point though, there isn't much stopping me from sending in the seat-holding deposits, making moving plans, and hoping I get off the waitlist before August. Losing a deposit fee vs thousands of dollars in saved tuition is a risk I think I can take.

ps - i've been ill over this situation for weeks so ANY advice is helpful even in a pm

On that point though, there isn't much stopping me from sending in the seat-holding deposits, making moving plans, and hoping I get off the waitlist before August. Losing a deposit fee vs thousands of dollars in saved tuition is a risk I think I can take.

I think you have the right idea. That is what I would do. Plan like you are for sure moving. If you come off the waitlist at a later time, you can reexamine the situation then. A deposit fee lost is not the end of the world.

I don't want this to be construed as certain "advice" but when you get wait-listed on your first try, that's kind of like saying you should try again, and your increased experience and perseverance will make the difference next time.

The GBP-USD exchange rate is as good as it's been in a long time. When I was looking at Edinburgh, it was about 2:1, now it's about 1.4:1. That's a big difference. The school is about the same price as an American out-of-state school now. Never know where the exchange rate will go, though, and it's still more than twice what you would pay at UGA.

It's a tough call.

veridianbunny - For what it is worth I think you are doing the right thing.

I also went for the "sure-thing"! Applicant pools vary from year to year, I was afraid that if I turned down my OOS acceptance and reapplied to my IS that I would risk not being accepted to either school! Not to mention the cost of reapplying and the mental wear and tear involved.

Hopefully you will be called off the waitlist and only lose your deposit but don't beat yourself up about taking the offer in hand.

I don't want this to be construed as certain "advice" but when you get wait-listed on your first try, that's kind of like saying you should try again, and your increased experience and perseverance will make the difference next time.

I agree with projekt that you probably have a good chance at you IS school next year but there are no guarantees. A good friend of mine was waitlisted in 2007 and when she reapplied in 2008 she wasn't even granted an interview. That scared me into taking my OOS acceptance!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, although I felt like I was making some good decisions in the waiting category, it is nice to hear (uh - read) them from others. The affirmation that I am not messing up a good thing is comforting.

A good friend of mine was waitlisted in 2007 and when she reapplied in 2008 she wasn’t even granted an interview.

That is exactly why I am trying not to burn any bridges. Keeping in mind the competitiveness of all the other prospective students, and the new additions to the pool each year, not to mention the re-applicants who have improved, has me a little worried.

Projekt - I've looked into that too, and what kills me is that the tuition for the Scotland schools (even the 5 year program combined) is cheaper than 4 years at UF or UT which is ridiculous IMHO. Oh, and also could you please go pester the adcoms at UGA into giving us ranks, not knowing my odds of admission off the wait-list is ulcer-inducing.

/cry
- ahhh April 15th can i has you nao?

Wow, I was wondering how The Financial Issue managed to span 3 pages!

I was really entertained there for awhile, til it went back to boring finances. C'mon now y'all wouldn't last two minutes on the pre-med boards.

I love watching the control freak in people bubble up and cause aneurysms from trying to direct the discussion...but don't let them win! Don't worry, Snowing. No Ad com is going to keep you out of vet school for regressing to your deepest place of immaturity on a message forum.

I would totally have a kid with you Nyanko.

Also, did you know that Ibuprofen interferes with BC too? Yup. look it up.

I would totally have a kid with you Nyanko.

Also, did you know that Ibuprofen interferes with BC too? Yup. look it up.
I just want you to know that this is a very entertaining juxtaposition of thoughts. :laugh: