The future of pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paddyboy777

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.forbes.com/business/forbes/2004/0426/054.html

I am considering doing a Pharm D. but several points concern me
1. Too many new schools coming up and exisiting schools increasing enrollment
2. Article above - mail order refills being mandated by health plans; stand-alone pharmacies will only fill initial prescriptions
3. Automation efficiencies, though to a lesser degree

Obviously, in about another 3 - 5 years this will hit. Then positions and salaries may not be plenty as now. Almost looks like a repeat of what happened to Physical Therapy.

Your thoughts will be highly appreciated.

Confused!

Members don't see this ad.

i said this many times before, all these talks regarding shortage of pharmacist is just plainly wrong at least for retail sector. retail must find some good initiatives to keep their patients.

the problem with the today's pharmacy is 1. majority is driven by money and cost of drugs 2. due the the cost pt and pharmacist personal relationship is very hard to follow. pts rather get their med cheap via mail order rather than pay more to pick up the meds from pharmacy. 3. since the lack of the pt pharamcist relationship (i am sure we do but not enough) pt doesn't even bother to go to phamcacy to get their meds. they rather chose the cheapest route to obtain their medication.

all these new schools opening up, it is a giant business venture given all these hype about shortage of pharmacist and continous increase of salary. people will be interested while the hype is big but when it disappers while institutions make lots of money doing so but graduates suffer. graduates find themselves hard to find jobs, or find jobs with lower salary expectation than what he/she went to school for.

how we fix this?
#1. We as pharamcist must re-establish pt pharmacist relationship or if exist we must strengthen it. we have to give our pt reason to come back to pharmacy. that can be done with friendly, considerate, and professional service. counseling etc. we have to make sure we drill into patient's head that it is beneficial to talk to pharmacist regarding their meds. instead of just pick up pay and go. if this persisits, heck why do we stand for?

#2. clinical areas. expand our role of service by providing pt in clinical setting with the best pharamceutical care that is lowest economic burden on patient. that is, getting rid of unnessary meds, chosing economical drugs that provides same efficacy, minimzing ADR, minimizing medication error (dispensing and administration), drug safty.

that's two main things i can think of.

oh one more thing about drug safty. we as pharamcist have to do everything within our power to minimize confusion between meds by putting extra labels, calling the nurses, telling the patients list goes on. perfect example. have you seen metoprolol inj and digoxin inj? one that i have seen they look exactly the same. but giving one with the another will kill the pt. especially with digoxin. so my point here is that we have plenty of work to do. but we just have to be smart proving our point to the rest of the people that our service is valuable and without us people die. period. (well extreme cases)

my 2 cents

You mention automation efficiencies as one of your reasons (and you stipulated to a lesser degree), but I actually think that will come as a benefit to pharmacists. As automation helps speed along the filling side of pharmacy, this will allow pharmacists to do what I think they are best trained and equipped to do, which is to do patient consultations and have larger roles in medication management for patients. If anything, I would think increased automation in a pharmacy would effect the number of technicians you find in a pharmacy.

Retail is a very large part of pharmacy as a profession, but it is not the only part. Hospital pharmacy, industry and research, as well as long term managed care pharmacy are all viable profession options which I think are growing.

The problem I have with mail order pharmacy is that medication is not something that you should be able to simply punch in a number on a website and have in your mailbox within 3 days - plus free shipping! (sarcasm) My dad is on 2 or 3 prescription drugs for his ailments, and he is always helped out by our local Walgreens pharmacist with his questions and likes to have things cleared up about what to expect from them in terms of side effects. That has been a huge help to my dad, and I think it's something that we, as pharmacists, can and should provide to patients. It's also something that you cannot get from mail order. And some people will try to say, "Well they can just read it off the bottle and the mail orders can add a supplementary paper explaining what to expect from the drug and other adverse effects, etc." Sure they can, but that doesn't mean the patient will read them. The prescription bottles say on there what it is, how much to take and when to take them, so if it were that easy patients wouldn't need any consultation whatsoever. And what kinds of precautions can mail order pharmacy provide for patients with multiple conditions which will require different drugs to be used in combination with one another.

The article raises some interesting points, but I find it hard to believe that mail order pharmacy will become a huge staple. It will only take one tragic event involving a mail order drug, covered in a Dateline exclusive or a CNN special report, to begin the mail order backlash. I know money is a big drawing point to mail order pharmacy, but even in that article that you linked us to states:

Forbes Article said:
One study by economist Robert Maness and Loyola University law professor James Langenfeld--and paid for by pharmacies--supports Wasson. A single drug, the report says, may cost less by mail than it would in a store, but the average mail-order prescription is pricier. That's because PBMs steer consumers away from generics and toward more expensive brand-name drugs, for which they're rewarded by manufacturers. In a suit the Justice Department accuses Medco, among other things, of favoring drugs made by its former parent, Merck. PBMs are under legal assault from unions, states and retailers, with allegations ranging from overcharging to antitrust violations.

According to that quote, the difference in price really is minimal, although it's always good to be skeptical about any study paid for and supported by the people who has interest at stake (the pharmacies paid for the study).

Anyways, I pretty much agree with what Kwakster posted as well. One of the problems right now with retail is perception, and the idea that the pharmacy is just a place to pick up your prescription as fast as you can. There is a lot of potential in retail pharmacy for increased patient care, but pharmacists have to have a big role in turning that potential into reality and I see no reason why that can't happen with more and more qualified, talented students applying and graduating from pharmacy schools across the country. Like Kwakster said, we have to give patients a reason to come to the pharmacy and give them reasons why their medications should come through us, not their mailbox, and so we need to be able to offer services that our training as pharmacists should already provide.

As far as mail order pharmacy goes, I am not sure required refills on maintenance medications will work out. There are several issues, legal and professional. Often, counseling and follow up on maintenance medications is missing from the picture with mail order. When the maintenance medications and non-maintenance medications are filled at separate pharmacies, neither one has a complete medication profile on the patient. The patient is not always going to be able to provide a complete medication list for you to check interactions. Mail order probably doesn't even ask for it. People will die because of these mandates. Just wait until the old ladies on warfarin bring in their fluconazole scrips. There are always mail and processing delays and people are unable to get emergency supplies without having them called in by a prescriber or by visiting urgent care. You know some people are going to just wait it out or stop taking their medication altogether. For people who take narcotics as maintenance medications, they will have to worry about having their mailbox robbed. You also have to worry about storage temperature in the summer and winter. I could go on, but I think the idea is clear.