DAT The Gold Standard DAT DVDs - Raffle & Product Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
datfrontcover3.JPG

DAT Dental Admissions Test Prep

Dr. Brett Ferdinand
Category: Video DVDs
12 Videos; instructional

mark3.jpg
Fully updated DAT Review for 2011-2012 !
mark3.jpg
12 Video DVDs cover all the important DAT science topics.
mark3.jpg
Clear lecture-style teaching!
mark3.jpg
This brand new 2011 Edition now comes with a DAT Study Plan !
mark3.jpg
Biology, General and Organic Chemistry !
mark3.jpg
All videos can be played on a regular DVD player.

Click to see your MCAT Biology Video DVD index.

Click to see your MCAT Organic Chemistry Video DVD index.
Click to see your MCAT General Chemistry Video DVD index.

Gold Standard DAT will give away one copy of The Gold Standard DAT DVDs to one lucky member. Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

* There are no specific DAT videos. However, students started buying these videos and telling us that they were amazing for the DAT. The science topics described by the ADA for the DAT test are the same as the science subject reviews from MCAT-prep.com for Biology, General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry (you can look at the video index by clicking on the subjects above).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Over the years I've heard a lot of good things about Gold Standard. My sister used Gold Standard to study for the MCAT and was very happy with the DVDs. She recommended I get the DVDs for the DAT

How long is each disc?

How engaging are the lectures?

How long does the study plan go for? and What does it consist of?

I keep seeing the Gold Standard is titled with MCAT. What does it mean to be "Designed for the MCAT packaged for the DAT"? I understand that both tests cover similar topics, but how well do the videos cater towards the DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep seeing the Gold Standard is titled with MCAT. What does it mean to be “Designed for the MCAT packaged for the DAT”? I understand that both tests cover similar topics, but how well do the videos cater towards the DAT.

All the videos in this DVD were created for MCAT prep (of course except for the DAT study plan). We then chose and edited videos that contained topics relevant to the DAT. I have included that topic list below.

We are currently working on the 2012 Edition video where we will be adding new videos specifically created for the DAT DVDs including plant biology and some QR.

Here is the topic by topic index for the DVDs:

BIOLOGY :
Disc 1: Introduction, DAT Study Plan, The Eukaryotic Cell, Plasma Membrane, The Cell's Interior, DNA, The Cell Cycle, Protein Synthesis; Disc 2: Viruses, Prokaryotes vs. Eukaryotes, Bioenergetics, The Neuron, The Nervous System, The Endocrine System I, The Endocrine System II; Disc 3: The Menstrual Cycle, The Circulatory System, Blood Composition, Lymphatic and Immune Systems, The Digestive System I, The Digestive System II; Disc 4: The Excretory System I, The Excretory System II, Gametogenesis (Meiosis), Genetics I, Genetics II, Genetics III, Genetics IV, Genetics V.

ORGANIC CHEMISTRY :
Disc 5:
Stereochemistry I, Stereochemistry II, Stereochemistry III, Reaction Mechanisms I, Reaction Mechanisms II, Reaction Mechanisms III, The Carbonyl Group I, The Carbonyl Group II; Disc 6: The Carbonyl Group III, Acetals/Ketals I, Acetals/Ketals II, Substitution I, Substitution II, Substitution III, Carboxylic Acids I, Carboxylic Acids II; Disc 7: The Tetrahedryl Intermediate, Amides, Amino Acids, Protein Structure, Elimination I*, Elimination II*, Alkenes I*, Free Radicals, Redox Reactions; Disc 8: Redox Reactions II*, Redox Reactions III , Aromatic Rings I*, Aromatic Rings II*, Spectroscopy, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, Elimination vs. Substitution*.

GENERAL CHEMISTRY :
Disc 9: The Atom, The Periodic Table, Chemical Bonds, Hydrogen Bonds, Ionic and Covalent Bonds, Lewis Dot Structures; Disc 10: Multiple Bonds, Resonance, Molecular Polarity, Hybridization, Hybrid Orbitals, Gases, Avogadro's Law, Equation of State, Graham's Law, Liquids, Maxwell's Distribution Plot; Disc 11: Boiling, Melting Points, Le Chatelier's Principle, Solutions, Phase Diagrams, Raoult's Law, Boiling, Freezing Point Changes, Acids and Bases, Acids and Bases: Strong, Acids and Bases: Weak, Titrations; Disc 12: Oxidation Numbers, Solubility Product, Thermochemistry, Calorimetry, Thermodynamics, Hess's Law, Rate Law, Energy Diagrams, Electrolysis, Electrochemical Cell.

www.bestdatbooks.com/

Ok I understand now, at first I was under the impression that the DVD's were the same but with the cover just being altered from MCAT to DAT but I like how they are not the same exact DVD's. Being that your company is trying to branch out and cater to the dental community is very note worthy so I give you a round of applause for your time and effort to help aid us dental students on this very stressful path. I will have to look more into the videos, but too bad the new edition will not be complete until 2012 which will be after my DAT sitting. Oh well I have a sister who will be taking it in the near future and I will have to let her know to keep an eye out for the new videos. Again thanks for your help ;)

Here is a 1 minute clip regarding Eukaryotic Cells

Thank you, It seems like these videos would be very helpful in addition to readings. Its always good to have it explained in a different way than just reading and trying to memorize. I am a very visual learner and love to draw things out and see how things happen.

I noticed the dry erase board in the back, Is there a lot of drawing and explanations to go with systems and processes utilized there?

Is there a book/DVD for reading comprehension? I'm trying to find a good source to study for this section because I scored low on the actual test. I need a good strategy to tackle this section of the test. Thanks!

I was wondering about how long should it be taking me to go through all of the material on the DVD's assuming I'm studying everyday? Should I space it out like 1 DVD a day?

was wondering about how long should it be taking me to go through all of the material on the DVD's assuming I'm studying everyday? Should I space it out like 1 DVD a day? Me, I need help badly

This may sound stupid are this DVDs actual dvds that I can put in my dvd player and watch?

I hate thigns that advertise dvds but you really can't watch them on your tv. they intend for you to watch on your computer.

Is there a book/DVD for reading comprehension? I'm trying to find a good source to study for this section because I scored low on the actual test. I need a good strategy to tackle this section of the test. Thanks!

Yes, The Gold Standard DAT hardcover textbook in color is cross referenced to these videos and will be available in bookstores and online in 2 months.

I was wondering about how long should it be taking me to go through all of the material on the DVD's assuming I'm studying everyday? Should I space it out like 1 DVD a day?
1 DVD per day is reasonable if you are also taking high yield notes and if you review those notes at least every couple of days so the impact continues to be of value to you.

This may sound stupid are this DVDs actual dvds that I can put in my dvd player and watch?

I hate thigns that advertise dvds but you really can't watch them on your tv. they intend for you to watch on your computer.

It's a good question. These DVDs can be played both on a computer and by using a regular DVD player to be viewed on TV.