The Good Old Days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhb

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious about who had develped clonidine and i came about a few pearls:

A quote from
Clonidine Hydrochloride:
Review of Pharmacologic and Clinical Aspects
Mark C. Houston;

"Clonidine was first discovered serendipitously in 1962 when Dr. M. Wolf administered to himself and his secretary a few drops of a 0.3% solution (1-2 mg) of clonidine and immediately noted its sedative, bradycardic, and hypotensive
effects as well as its decongestant properties.”

And another from

Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases
Volume 23, Issue 5, March–April 1981, Pages 337-350:
"After administration of the drug to a secretary she fell asleep for 24 h, developed low blood pressure, marked bradycardia, and dryness of the mouth"

Dude dropping 0.3% clonidine on his secretary like it's LSD and she goes stone cold for 24h. No Sat or capnography back then. Would have loved to have seen the look on the guys face.

Anyway back to being 21st century puppies

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I wonder how he discovered her dryness of the mouth

Reactions: 3 users
I was curious about who had develped clonidine and i came about a few pearls:

A quote from
Clonidine Hydrochloride:
Review of Pharmacologic and Clinical Aspects
Mark C. Houston;

"Clonidine was first discovered serendipitously in 1962 when Dr. M. Wolf administered to himself and his secretary a few drops of a 0.3% solution (1-2 mg) of clonidine and immediately noted its sedative, bradycardic, and hypotensive
effects as well as its decongestant properties.”

And another from

Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases
Volume 23, Issue 5, March–April 1981, Pages 337-350:
"After administration of the drug to a secretary she fell asleep for 24 h, developed low blood pressure, marked bradycardia, and dryness of the mouth"

Dude dropping 0.3% clonidine on his secretary like it's LSD and she goes stone cold for 24h. No Sat or capnography back then. Would have loved to have seen the look on the guys face.

Anyway back to being 21st century puppies

That's what you call a team player....:)

Reactions: 1 users