The good, the bad, the ugly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theaznfishy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ya'll,

I was just wondering if either current podiatric students [or ex-students] could give their input on each of the schools they attend in terms of pro's and con's. I understand that each school has a strength and that each one "fits" particular people based on stuff like, location, intent on residencies, etc. but I've been having a hard time finding a substantial list of things current students love AND not-love about their respective schools. This isn't meant to be a bashing thread, but I find that being honestly critical for each institution would be helpful for us pre-podiatric students to see what school would fit us best.

For example: There's a thread currently floating around about BUSPM on SDN and it seems the main consensus is that it's more geared toward independent learners during the times of basic sciences. Either a post here about your feelings on your school or a PM about the greats and not-so greats would be.... GREAT! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Temple,
Good, Good location (Hey Chinatown is safe, things are open late and Old City and downtown are a few minute walk away)
Clinic experience I forsee will be good.
There is not quite the hypercompetitive gunner culture (not yet at least)
First year you get several Fridays either outright off or one class that might not go the whole lenghth.
Faculty are quite good and very fair. Tests have only asked on fair game content, and even then profs are open to students contesting answers.
Lots of clubs to get clinical experience (races in philly, and helping at homeless shelters). As a first year I have already had my first patient (needed a blister lancing after this breast cancer walk)

Cons-The podiatry building is starting to get old,
If you are not a city person this is not a school for you
Anatomy lab is exactly the same as it was 30 years ago. No computers or video screen, just your body and a netter atlas saturated with cadaver juice
Library closes early (M-Th is 8-1130, F is 8-5, Sat is 8-8, Sun is 12-1130) there is a study lounge in the dorm bldg you could use, but is not all that nice.
The anatomy course is quite disorganized and you have to teach your self
There is an awesome med school campus that as a 24 hour library, but that campus is probably in the worst area of Philly, even our front desk lady says dont go there
There is an interesting but bad dynamic between TUSPM and Temple U as a whole. Long story short relations are strained between TUSPM and the MD/DDS/DPT and Temple U as a whole
Is the most expensive of the schools, and FYI if you get a scholarship it will not renew unless you are top 5-7, even then no promises.
There do not seem to be too many research oppurtunities over summers outside of the gait lab (other schools had more of a robust research department)

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest looking at the "questions and answers about podiatry schools" thread. You'll find some good info there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest looking at the "questions and answers about podiatry schools" thread. You'll find some good info there.

Unfortunately some of the info is pretty outdated or doesn't seem to have been updated for over 5 years. I'm sure some things have changed since then and would love to hear of how the status is of each schools current cirriculum.

For example: There's a thread currently floating around about BUSPM on SDN and it seems the main consensus is that it's more geared toward independent learners during the times of basic sciences. Either a post here about your feelings on your school or a PM about the greats and not-so greats would be.... GREAT! Thanks.

I wouldn't put much faith in any of the BUSPM threads that float around SDN. I don't go there and they don't have a large forum presence here. The threads that keep cropping up about them are unbelievably troll-like in quality with people crying about individual teachers screwing them and deans being unfair and a whole bunch of piddly-crap. There is no consensus coming out of those threads. Podiatry schools as a rule tend to matriculate unqualified applicants and it often shows when people complain. First year everywhere is going to require some serious buckling down and independent learning. There's too many bugs, drugs, muscles, and diseases. Group study can help bring things together, look at things from another point of view, discuss what you believe the teacher emphasized, but individual study has to lay the groundwork. You'll realize this the second you get 15 minutes into a lecture and realize you are totally lost and are going to have to read the whole thing twice to understand it or sit through a 15 slide lecture with 30 pages of reading.

Here's my short take on DMU. The BS is kept to a minimum. Class isn't mandatory (exception: labs), all lectures are recorded, the education is undeniably solid, the resources are ample, the facilities are excellent, and it isn't a run like a Caribbean podiatry drop-out academy. Learn as you see fit - everything you need to be awesome is here. Student housing surrounds the campus. Obviously its cold in the winter, but I've grown quite fond of the town.

Reactions: 1 users