Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

The Great Divide

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dumpy, Apr 22, 2004.

?

Which one is more indicative of being a good physician?

1. Grades and MCAT scores

21 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Extracurriculars and life experience

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Dumpy

Dumpy 1,000,000+ Posts
    5+ Year Member

OK, let's have at it. I've ruffled some feathers, now let's see public opinion. Which is more important when determining who will be a better physician?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Fumoffu

Fumoffu Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Kind of funny how on an anonymous poll, grades and mcats seem to be winning...

3. Dumpy

Dumpy 1,000,000+ Posts
    5+ Year Member

What do you know? People are actually contradicting themselves? On this forum? Nooo.

Just to let all of you know, I have received a plethora of PM's congratulating me and agreeing with my post. So, take a better look at the ass-kissing pre-med next to you... they are secretly plotting to destroy you!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Squat n Squeeze

Squat n Squeeze Membership Revoked
    Removed

:thumbup: :thumbup:

5. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

I think MCAT scores and GPA predict whether or not you CAN become a doctor. I think extracurriculars and life experience probably correlate with being a so-called "better doctor". Once you're in med school, all bets are off. Kiss those scores GOODBYE.

Now, a poll that included the USMLE steps would be interesting...

6. Dr. N

Dr. N Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I think everythink together: GPA, MCAT and experience. Don't you think so?

7. Dumpy

Dumpy 1,000,000+ Posts
    5+ Year Member

SquatnSqueeze... what can I say. You're the reason I got into the trolling business. Its an honor.

:smuggrin:

8. Fumoffu

Fumoffu Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I arm myself with a sack full of pennies before I walk in any science related class.

I think a lot of people actually agree with you but don't have the balls to say it outloud because they're afraid that all the other "PC supporters" are going to bash them. When deep down everyone is thinking the SAME thing, just afraid that the social norm or whatever is going to result in a public stoning.

9. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

HE LIVES!!!

10. Dumpy

Dumpy 1,000,000+ Posts
    5+ Year Member

Well folks, this poll is rapidly reaching statistical significance. Looks like all of you warm-fuzziers out there are screwed. You're entering a profession where, like anything that works, competition and results are what matters. Take your hippie bull$hit elsewhere.

11. E.A. Poe

E.A. Poe the man
    7+ Year Member

The bottom line is that you have to be able to read between the lines with some people. I myself had a 3.3 GPA with my first year: 0.9 (try swimming with that cement block attached to your feet). My overall GPA statistic merely makes me underated and has absolutely no bearing on my ability, motivation, or intelligence. First year was 10 years ago so you simply cannot make a blanket statement gauging "bad" medical students from stats. It doesn't always work. Give me a Harvard matriculant and I'll wager I stack up favorably. IMO non-research extracurriculars should count as 5-10% of someone's overall admissions ranking; you've got to have some.

12. Dumpy

Dumpy 1,000,000+ Posts
    5+ Year Member

Why? What, besides the bull$hit that you spewed/plan to spew to admissions committees, did you take from non-research EC's. They are a hurdle you jump through. A painless one, sure , but still nothing more than a hurdle. I spent mine stuffing envelopes and filing stuff. Personally, without the experience of stuffing envelopes, I don't think I could have accurately described to my interviewer why I wanted to be a doctor. How could I?

13. Ryo-Ohki

7+ Year Member

"life experience", "complete applicant", "well-rounded" are obfuscating terms usually used to conceal a goal that can not be achieved through objective measurements like MCAT/GPA.