"the greatest weakness" question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate this type of question with a passion. Unfortunately, they pop up everywhere from volunteer applications to job interviews and now on my secondaries.

For instance, (and I probably won't write this anyway) I was thinking of something like "getting too involved" but then that can be interpreted as an inability to manage your time.

I don't want to put anything that will make me look bad.

Any ideas on what route to take with this?

Members don't see this ad.

I hate this type of question with a passion. Unfortunately, they pop up everywhere from volunteer applications to job interviews and now on my secondaries.

For instance, (and I probably won't write this anyway) I was thinking of something like "getting too involved" but then that can be interpreted as an inability to manage your time.

my refusal to acknowledge that i do in fact have a weakness is my weakness.

"My lack of foresight to find a place to hide the bodies of those who insist upon asking this question."

Members don't see this ad :)
I care too much.

oh this is probably the most over done one: I am a perfectionist!

This question is a classic, and I usually go with the fact that I sometimes have little patience for things, but, I tend to end up staying up at night to fix this problem so I guess I would be lying if I said I didn't have patience, because I think I really do. So, I guess I'd be lying if I said patience was one of my weakness. Thus, I think my greatest weakness is I'm not good at lying :)

You will come across two types of interviewers that ask this question:

1.) The person that asks it, and when you give a typical weakness-but-could-be-strength-with-proper-direction answer, says aww that's nice but then thinks "wow this guy is bsing and totally unoriginal."

2.) The person that asks it, and when you give a typical weakness-but-could-be-strength-with-proper-direction answer outright tells you that's crap and to give a real weakness. Hence a person that is really asking because they really want to know.

When I get asked this q, I'm going to answer truthfully and not with bullsh*t answers like "sometimes I work too hard," or "I am obsessed with things being as best as they can be." I think if you give a real weakness and then state how you are controlling it/improving yourself, it is much better than an answer you can take out of a book on interviews.

I have only one: Kryptonite

My greatest weakness = can't think of a weakness.

Bzzzzzzzt! So sorry, try again next year. Rule of thumb for these questions, if you remove the word "too" from your answer, and the answer becomes an obvious strength, you've just given a BS answer, and most interviewers/app. readers/etc will probably think so.

Examples: "I spend too much time volunteering"
"I am too empathetic"
"I think things over too much"

....you get the idea.

This question is definitely no fun. At least when you're asked for this in essay form, you have lots of time to think about what to say, how to spin it, and the best word choice. I've been asked this on every single interview so far, and having to do it in person is even less fun.

Just say public speaking and call it a day. I always feel like I do a terrible job after I give a speech, but somehow it turns out I don't? I don't know.

My dad does a lot of interviewing for his job, and he always tells me that this is probably the most insightful interview question. A majority of people pull the "I'm a perfectionist" card and it's blatantly obvious they're BSing.

His best advice? BE HONEST. Come up with an ACTUAL weakness. Nobody's expecting the perfect applicant. You can admit to being a procrastinator or shy and won't lose anything in the eyes of the interviewer, as long as you prescribe a way to deal with it.

The question is really seeing if you can be honest with yourself, but a lot of interviewee's don't understand this.

Members don't see this ad :)
My dad does a lot of interviewing for his job, and he always tells me that this is probably the most insightful interview question. A majority of people pull the "I'm a perfectionist" card and it's blatantly obvious they're BSing.

His best advice? BE HONEST. Come up with an ACTUAL weakness. Nobody's expecting the perfect applicant. You can admit to being a procrastinator or shy and won't lose anything in the eyes of the interviewer, as long as you prescribe a way to deal with it.

The question is really seeing if you can be honest with yourself, but a lot of interviewee's don't understand this.

good info. i had planned on using the perfectionist card (although it is true). what are some good ones that i can use? ones that your dad thinks are good weaknesses. all mine sound fake!

I still believe in Superman.

what about eating too much? is that a weakness? I dont know when to STOP! Now i am 300 pounds!

what about eating too much? is that a weakness? I dont know when to STOP! Now i am 300 pounds!

no that is a strenght also. it shows the adcoms that you are dedicated to your sport!

I'm original in that I have two weakness: dyslexia, and definitely the ringworm.

I'm original in that I have two weakness: dyslexia, and definitely the ringworm.

isnt dyslexia caused by ringworm. i heard it crawls in the vitrious humor and blocks your vision. thereby causing dyslexia. is that what your doctor diagnosed you with?

isnt dyslexia caused by ringworm. i heard it crawls in the vitrious humor and blocks your vision. thereby causing dyslexia. is that what your doctor diagnosed you with?

Well actually, my case of ringworm does cause a severe flatulence problem, but that's a story for another day.

Well actually, my case of ringworm does cause a severe flatulence problem, but that's a story for another day.

so you could be on dancing with the stars then. you could flatulate all around the stage!

My two weaknesses would be lack of creativity and I'm not a very good writer. I also like to shop (in excess) and drink way too much mountain dew. I'm a weak person. aw well.

My two weaknesses would be lack of creativity and I'm not a very good writer. I also like to shop (in excess) and drink way too much mountain dew. I'm a weak person. aw well.

lack of creativity, i like that answer. it is my new weakness!

Yeah, its very true for me, and its a relatively safe weakness, so I felt good about saying it as a response in my interviews. I could list more weaknesses, but I already gave four.....

well can you give me some? please. perty please with sugar on top?

haha, you want some of my weaknesses? Ummmmm.... occasionally pride. I'm also terribly impatient. This is a problem for me with my kids. I have children, which is not a weakness, but it certainly does affect my life and my studying habits in med school. So what do we have, lack of creativity, poor writing skills, poor public speaking skills, (forgot to add that earlier) terribly impatient, I'm not the mother I'd like to be, a smidgeon of pride, and a slightly addictive personality when it comes to things I like (such as shopping and mountain dew).

My weakness is that I'm physically weak. I benchpress 55lbs, including the bar...

i was thinking of using

1. i eat too many sweets and addicted to caffeine
2. i get attached to people easily, ex: when volunteering in a hospital, attached to patients too much, worry too much about their ills and sickness, which is emotionally exhuasting, and can interfere with clear thinking. But, bs about how you are trying to manage that problem.

umm. would that be ok to use? scared :(

Why not just be honest instead of worrying so damn much about it? If your weakness is REALLY that bad, then perhaps you should be examining your personality to fix it, instead of covering it up for med schools.

Personally, my greatest weakness is procrastination, and if asked, I'd probably say that. but I wouldn't follow it with "and because of that, I'll suck at med school, and be a horrible doctor who is never able to complete anything!!". I'd follow with more truth that helps..."I realized that if I was serious about school, I would need to get this aspect in check. Lists and an increased focus in time management have been my friends, blah blah something about it working...."

Show a weakness, and explain how you overcome it to make it a nonissue. Quit looking for the pre-med answer of something like "I'm just too intelligent, and I find it's hard to relate with all the 'normies' in my classes."

i was thinking of using

1. i eat too many sweets and addicted to caffeine
2. i get attached to people easily, ex: when volunteering in a hospital, attached to patients too much, worry too much about their ills and sickness, which is emotionally exhuasting, and can interfere with clear thinking. But, bs about how you are trying to manage that problem.

umm. would that be ok to use? scared :(
Bzzzt! Go back and read my previous post. Your #2 screams B.S. WEAKNESS. I suppose #1 is a weakness.

yes. you are my future doctor. i want your card!

I think I'd say that sometimes I just like to be lazy.

I think I'd say that sometimes I just like to be lazy.

If I were sent to hell for a mortal sin, it would definitely be sloth.
I would really have to think about the best way to answer this question honestly.

By the way, I answered the UVa secondary question "greatest personal challenge as a physician" honestly (answer: making time for my family). I haven't heard from them. It's still early, of course, so they could just not have gotten to me yet. I keep telling myself that.

when I was interviewing I said it was that sometimes when I'm really into something I get hyperfocused and lose track of other things I should be doing, a kind of tunnel vision.

my greates weakness is "i help others too much and sometimes forget to take care of myself". my friend is planning on saying this in interviews, i told her it sounds like a bunch of BS. anyone else agree with me?

my greates weakness is "i help others too much and sometimes forget to take care of myself". my friend is planning on saying this in interviews, i told her it sounds like a bunch of BS. anyone else agree with me?

Ask your friend if she's willing to risk her application to a school on an interviewer falling head over heels for that line.

Ask your friend if she's willing to risk her application to a school on an interviewer falling head over heels for that line.

wait, so you think it is a good idea?

wait, so you think it is a good idea?

Not at all. More bluntly, ask her if she's willing to bet each interview she lands that the adcom who interviews her will never have heard that line before, and won't reject her on the spot (in his/her head) for being a cocky premed who thought she could get away with a b.s. answer to a character-revealing question.

Not at all. More bluntly, ask her if she's willing to bet each interview she lands that the adcom who interviews her will never have heard that line before, and won't reject her on the spot (in his/her head) for being a cocky premed who thought she could get away with a b.s. answer to a character-revealing question.

Rafa, look up this guy's posting history. He's having you on.

. i think thats it does matter as you will be treating REAL people not paper stats.

I am as stubborn as a mule - it can really be a hinderance at times

Agreed. Pick a weakness and talk about it. Tell why it's a weakness and how it may affect you when you get into practice. Give a specific example of how it has affected you in undergrad, jobs, etc. Even a stereotypical weakness can be a good answer with justification.

How about, my greatest weakness is I have no weaknesses!!!!!

But then, that in itself is a weakness, I suppose. Because you said that having no weaknesses is your weakness, but how is it possible for your weakness to involve no weakness??!!!

Kind of like nothing being something, but a something that is nothing.... Or something? :confused:

How about, my greatest weakness is I have no weaknesses!!!!!

But then, that in itself is a weakness, I suppose. Because you said that having no weaknesses is your weakness, but how is it possible for your weakness to involve no weakness??!!!

Kind of like nothing being something, but a something that is nothing.... Or something? :confused:

Ahh, philosophy...:)