The Happy Happy Joy Joy Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted128562

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
I'm splitting between EM & Palliative these days & it's really increased my enjoyment of/respect for EM. It's easy to get frustrated by all the crap we have to deal with on a daily basis and forget how amazing the skills of an Emergentologist are. A quote I saw recently is apropos for me, because I love bike riding:

Being an ER Doc is easy - it's like riding a bike.
Except the bike's on fire.
You're on fire.
Everything's on fire.

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Just bought a new grill/ smoker which I'm having a fantastic time using. Was able to get my hands on some good cuts of sockeye salmon and, after adding sea salt, pepper, paprika, and a smidge of olive oil, smoked them at 160 degrees until internal temp was 145 (took about 2 hours). Absolutely magical.
Amen to this. Did you see, we had a thread on this not too long ago? I can't remember which one. But I have a Green Mountain smoker. Salmon done with cherry wood is unreal. Come to think of it, you made me want to buy some meat to throw on it this weekend. Been a long time since I did a brisket. Happy times it is!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It was COVID Quarantine Hobbies I've got the same model as @Birdstrike and it's pretty sweet. They ship the model locally from their stores in the area straight to your home, fully assembled.

Mostly i've been grilling chicken leg quarters, and they come out great. I think hickory goes pretty good with chicken. Want to try brisket one of these days.

I had attempted to grill steaks once, but looks like leaving a cube of butter on top of them was a bad idea, as it quickly melted and caused a serious grease fire, lol! Had to abort mission quickly and put the steaks in our stove.

It was COVID Quarantine Hobbies I've got the same model as @Birdstrike and it's pretty sweet. They ship the model locally from their stores in the area straight to your home, fully assembled.

Mostly i've been grilling chicken leg quarters, and they come out great. I think hickory goes pretty good with chicken. Want to try brisket one of these days.

I had attempted to grill steaks once, but looks like leaving a cube of butter on top of them was a bad idea, as it quickly melted and caused a serious grease fire, lol! Had to abort mission quickly and put the steaks in our stove.
I'm gonna order some mesquite and try filet mignon. Thanks for the heads up, no butter though! :lol:

Isnt there a catch trap or something you can put under the grill and above the flame to catch the meat drippings and butter?

I’m vegan and offended that caring, emergency room physicians could be so callous.

Isnt there a catch trap or something you can put under the grill and above the flame to catch the meat drippings and butter?
Yes, it comes with a bucket that catches the runoff. That’s as long as it doesn’t catch fire before it goes down. At typical meat smoking temps (200-275 or less) it’s unlikely. He was doing steaks which means he probably maxed out the heat at 500+ then poured butter on it.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m vegan and offended that caring, emergency room physicians could be so callous.
Oh, dude/dudette. You can cook all kinds of veggies on a smoker. My wife’s a vegan and I’ll put veggie kabobs, veggie burgers on there. You can do corn, potatoes and all kinds of un-meats on a smoker and it’s great.

Not an ER doc (just bored and perusing the forum), but I bought a sous vide for a song from someone who got duplicates from her wedding registry and it's the best. It gets meats perfectly tender every time. I like to use it for asparagus too. I am a bit of an efficiency nut - I ironically waste a lot of time figuring out new and exciting ways to make myself more efficient - and like that I can have it running at the same time as I have something else in the oven to make meal prepping for the week much faster.

Reactions: 1 users
Not an ER doc (just bored and perusing the forum), but I bought a sous vide for a song from someone who got duplicates from her wedding registry and it's the best. It gets meats perfectly tender every time. I like to use it for asparagus too. I am a bit of an efficiency nut - I ironically waste a lot of time figuring out new and exciting ways to make myself more efficient - and like that I can have it running at the same time as I have something else in the oven to make meal prepping for the week much faster.
I don't have a sous vide, but my brother in law cooks a lot and has made for us in with one of these things, and it's outrageously good when done right. When I slow cook my foot on the smoker it's a low temps (175-250 depending on the food) for many hours, and its incredible. But sous vide cooking takes it's to an unreal level, 130-140F for what seems like forever and it's so good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Green Eggs are fun to grill/smoke your favorite delicacies.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't have a sous vide, but my brother in law cooks a lot and has made for us in with one of these things, and it's outrageously good when done right. When I slow cook my foot on the smoker it's a low temps (175-250 depending on the food) for many hours, and its incredible. But sous vide cooking takes it's to an unreal level, 130-140F for what seems like forever and it's so good.

I have a sous vide but really don't use it that much--for me so much about the joy of cooking is standing in front of the stove (or grill) with a drink in hand. Makes bomb chicken breasts though, and I love it for poached eggs.

It seems grilling/smoking is what unites us without any political influence or other negativity (ignoring the vegetarians/vegans - although you are well heard). I've been trying to perfect seared Ahi tuna (raw center) with an island Teriyaki marinade and a sriracha/vegenaise sauce. I've been pairing it with a pisco punch cocktail I've also been working on. Brewing original recipe beer for years used to be a lot of fun for me, but all of the work with sanitation and cleaning doesn't seem as worth it anymore when it's so easy to buy such a variety of great craft beer. I've been getting into mixing premium cocktails in addition to my enjoyment of wine and scotch. You throw a mountain sunset with the above and the worries of the wold melt away.

Pisco punch is the bomb!

1. After not matching the first time, then matching to my #1 and it subsequently closing, and transferring to another program. I finally made it to PGY-2!

2. We just bought a house. Going to save a good chunk of money compared to rent.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
1. Started my first post-residency job and so far I love it. I think I'm getting paid reasonably well to see ~1.8pph at a job with sick enough patients that it keeps my skills up but not so sick that I feel like it's getting out of hand. I don't stay late charting and my patients are appreciative 90% of the time.

2. Really getting the hand of this sous vide cooking thing. Might spend some of that first paycheck on something to get a really killer sear on them though, like a Su-V Gun.

1. Started my first post-residency job and so far I love it. I think I'm getting paid reasonably well to see ~1.8pph at a job with sick enough patients that it keeps my skills up but not so sick that I feel like it's getting out of hand. I don't stay late charting and my patients are appreciative 90% of the time.
That's awesome. It's so good to hear this.

2. Really getting the hand of this sous vide cooking thing. Might spend some of that first paycheck on something to get a really killer sear on them though, like a Su-V Gun.
I had never heard of this, but holy crap that thing is awesome,

Su-V Gun

:lol:

That's awesome. It's so good to hear this.

It's a job with a CMG so I know I'm part of the "problem" so to speak, but I think that they skim much less off the top of my job than at many others just based on some knowledge of our patient volumes and RVUs. In return I get to cognitively distance myself from trying to solve every problem that comes up. The medical director is good and holds no love for the CMG itself so he holds their feet to the fire for us. We do all secretly hope that they go under so we could just take the contract over ourselves. It would mean more work for me in terms of management but then we'd be paid better too. You just have to know how much you're "paying" out of what you're billing to the CMG in return for them doing all the things that most ER docs don't wanna do.

I had never heard of this, but holy crap that thing is awesome,

My wife will kill me but I think it's going to be so much fun. Pan searing my Sous Vide steaks always ends up overcooking them just a little too much to get the sear I want.

Could you share your chicken quarter recipe? We did one whole chicken and it was really the only thing we haven't liked. Just finished a brisket dinner as brisket is no longer twice the price it was in March at Costco.

Salmon has been my favorite smoked food! So amazing. I have also been experimenting with pizza on the grill recently.

Could you share your chicken quarter recipe? We did one whole chicken and it was really the only thing we haven't liked.
I know you didn't ask me, but when I first got my smoker I (very wrongly) put a whole chicken on it at 225F like is so perfect for pork shoulder and brisket. It was terrible. The reason: The skin was rubbery, as apparently chicken needs a much higher time to crisp up the skin. I haven't attempted a whole chicken again since then. I've been sticking with pork shoulder, brisket and salmon which so far I've had great results with.

..brisket is no longer twice the price it was in March at Costco.
I know! Was $90 for a whole brisket a couple months ago. Glad to hear the prices went down. It's time.

Could you share your chicken quarter recipe? We did one whole chicken and it was really the only thing we haven't liked. Just finished a brisket dinner as brisket is no longer twice the price it was in March at Costco.

Yeah doing a whole chicken was a disaster for us as well. I actually used the recipe provided in the manual, and the chicken was crispy dry and almost burnt. I think it may turn out better if I were to try a lower temperature or cook it for a shorter time, plus the smoker I have has the option of adding a electric rotisserie to it, but I don't think I'm going to bother. I happen to have a George Foreman rotisserie grill, and the chicken always comes out amazing in that, so that's what I'm going to stick for whole chicken.

As for the leg quarters, my wife prepares a marinade using yogurt, olive oil, and tikka masala, that you'll find in Indian/Pakistani grocery stores. You coat the leg quarters (skinned) in the marinade, leave in the fridge for a couple of hours to a day. I crank up the temp to about 375-400, and stick the leg quarters in for 15 minutes, then flip them over and leave them on for another 15. In my experience, that's about the right enough time/temperature for the meat to be tender enough without getting undercooked.

Last edited:
Not that i don't love great bar b que and a good steak but I'm going to switch subjects a little.

My daughter turned 6 months. She's sitting up, a lot more interactive, smiles and gets excited every time she sees me or my wife. She likes our spicy pakistani food more than her baby food. She's becoming a real human being now instead of a whiny little baby who only cares about food :) that's something really positive in my life i guess.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Not that i don't love great bar b que and a good steak but I'm going to switch subjects a little.

My daughter turned 6 months. She's sitting up, a lot more interactive, smiles and gets excited every time she sees me or my wife. She likes our spicy pakistani food more than her baby food. She's becoming a real human being now instead of a whiny little baby who only cares about food :) that's something really positive in my life i guess.
That’s very positive and congrats. That’s such a fun age.

Yeah doing a whole chicken was a disaster for us as well. I actually used the recipe provided in the manual, and the chicken was crispy dry and almost burnt. I think it may turn out better if I were to try a lower temperature or cook it for a shorter time, plus the smoker I have has the option of adding a electric rotisserie to it, but I don't think I'm going to bother. I happen to have a George Foreman rotisserie grill, and the chicken always comes out amazing in that, so that's what I'm going to stick for whole chicken.

As for the leg quarters, my wife prepares a marinade using yogurt, olive oil, and tikka masala, that you'll find in Indian/Pakistani grocery stores. You coat the leg quarters (skinned) in the marinade, leave in the fridge for a couple of hours to a day. I crank up the temp to about 375-400, and stick the leg quarters in for 15 minutes, then flip them over and leave them on for another 15. In my experience, that's about the right enough time/temperature for the meat to be tender enough without getting undercooked.
Sorry to detail back to BBQ, but thanks!

And babies getting to the real person stage is amazing!

:rolleyes:
Looks like you missed the thread's title.

During quarantine I laid a brick patio in my back yard and installed a hot tub.

The other day I BBQd Cajun alligator fillets and Shrimp then had a nice post-night hot tub soak. Call me a red-neck, but it was glorious. Slept like a damn baby.

During quarantine I laid a brick patio in my back yard and installed a hot tub.

The other day I BBQd Cajun alligator fillets and Shrimp then had a nice post-night hot tub soak. Call me a red-neck, but it was glorious. Slept like a damn baby.

Show us a picture! I want to do something similar.

The investments are doing well, been enjoying the great outdoors with the spouse, and been enjoying spending time with my mammalian digging pets.

Just wait till your kids start getting concepts and figuring stuff out. I have a 5 year old that is sharp. My almost 3 year old is an impressive climber. If they weren’t so manipulative...

Show us a picture! I want to do something similar.

It was actually surprisingly easy to do! You can accomplish the whole project in under 2 days, and the patio part only cost me around $200 (obviously more for the tub).
03BCB7E3-66EE-46D7-965A-BC4BEC91AA1C.jpeg
5F5A3A55-6032-4B8C-8BDB-D548D254A84A.jpeg
307C03EC-6206-4133-B6E2-A7E604C52517.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
Yesterday, I took the family to an ocean front cabana cafe, for dinner al fresco. We started out with some outrageous bacon blue cheese potato chips. Then I had blackened, local Mahi Mahi. We then finished it off with some Peach Skillet Cake with vanilla ice cream. We took a sunset walk on the beach before heading out. I have to say, it was pretty nice.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm working the evening shift tonight, so I've spent my morning making cool stop motion animation videos with my kids & now we're gonna take a bike ride before tacos lead to a nice pre shift nap.

Reactions: 4 users
Another glorious day off. I'm finishing some credentialing stuff for my new gig and then am headed to the gym to blast legs (in mask no less). After that, I'm going to mountain bike for an hour in a 4500 acre park that is right next to my house. Then I'm going to grab some steaks and grill them out later this afternoon. I typically sauté some garlic cloves and then make cuts in the meat and insert the pieces of garlic in each steak. Worcestershire sauce, oregano (powdered), and Lowrey's garlic salt rubbed on each side. Large piece of bacon wrapped around each filet. 6 minutes on one side (thick steaks) and 5 on the other = Medium Rare perfection. Melts in your mouth. I call it Groove's garlic steak. Then, I'll relax in my comfy lazy boy chair and nurse a delicious glass of Laphroaig while watching some Netflix and/or play a little Xbox.

Now, human steak night automatically = doggie steak night. Therefore, I always purchase a large steak for the dogs and they go damn near bonkers when they see me light the grill. I'm embarrassed to say that I also fix them breakfast each morning. Scrambled eggs on top of their dog food. Spoiled doggies!

Reactions: 6 users
Now, human steak night automatically = doggie steak night. Therefore, I always purchase a large steak for the dogs and they go damn near bonkers when they see me light the grill. I'm embarrassed to say that I also fix them breakfast each morning. Scrambled eggs on top of their dog food. Spoiled doggies!

My mutt gets the gristle off our steaks and I pour the bacon grease from my pan over his breakfast.

My mutt gets the gristle off our steaks and I pour the bacon grease from my pan over his breakfast.
Delete this now. If my dog ever sees this post, I'm a dead man.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Delete this now. If my dog ever sees this post, I'm a dead man.
My wife treats our guy all the time. Me? Never. The only time he gets anything from my plate is a misfire. However, to be completely honest, she does make him do tricks to get whatever it is (chicken, lamb, cheese, &c.).

About 5 years ago, I was indiscreet, and had one of my burgers within reach (Mickey is 21lbs, and maybe 15 inches at the shoulder), and the dog jumped up and got it, and took down that burger that was as big as his head. I had 3 others, but I was like, "Damn, boy, you took that right out of my mouth!" Now, errything is out of reach.

The wife got these ultrasonic things just this week, and they're doing wonders for the barking.

Recently finished putting down epoxy in the garage, looks pretty sweet now and didnt take allll that much time. Now, I need to buy a good grill cuz mine sucks atm. Any suggestions? The egg thing?

Recently finished putting down epoxy in the garage, looks pretty sweet now and didnt take allll that much time. Now, I need to buy a good grill cuz mine sucks atm. Any suggestions? The egg thing?

Check out the covid hobbies thread I linked to earlier, has a more in depth discussion on the topic. I have a wood pellet smoker/grill and I like it. If charcoal is more your thing then consider the Kamado Joe.

I grill 2 steaks, one for my rotty and one for me. He doesn't even chew a bite of meat.

The Big Green Egg is great if smoking is important to you. If you just want to grill then you may want to go simpler, because the BGE takes a while to heat up. I have a BGE and a gas grill and the convenience of my gas grill leads me to use it >>> my BGE.

The Big Green Egg is great if smoking is important to you. If you just want to grill then you may want to go simpler, because the BGE takes a while to heat up. I have a BGE and a gas grill and the convenience of my gas grill leads me to use it >>> my BGE.

Agreed. I have Green Egg and a propane gas Weber. The Weber gets the weekday use (burgers, sausages, veggies, etc) while the Egg is the weekend warrior (smoked brisket, pork, wings, etc). You'll want to have both for sure!

Agreed. I have Green Egg and a propane gas Weber. The Weber gets the weekday use (burgers, sausages, veggies, etc) while the Egg is the weekend warrior (smoked brisket, pork, wings, etc). You'll want to have both for sure!
I agree. I have a Webber gas grill for quickies and a Green Mountain Daniel Boone pellet smoker for smoking. The Green Mountain can double as a grill, but the Webber can't double as a smoker. I've tried to smoke food on a regular grill and it just doesn't work. In fact I'm gearing up to get a couple pork shoulders to smoke before our trip to the NC mountains next week. First vacay in forever, since the 'rona deep sixed our planned trip to Kauai in April. Looking forward to it, God willing.

I love my Kamado Joe. I've owned mine for almost 5 years. I love cooking everything from Pizza to steak to brisket. Searing and smoking.

The bad side is they are $$$, have limited cooking surface area, are heavy, and have a bit of a learning curve. (most grills have a learning curve btw). We are considering adding a pellet grill so my wife can do some more grilling.

I have a Kamado Joe, but there are many manufacturers. I didn't like that the BGE (Big Green Egg) didn't have anything with it, so they nickel and dimed you for everything (like tools, stand, things like that). The Joe had it all. However, there's Vision, Komodo Kamado, Primo Ovak, Broil King (which is a metal keg style), Grill Dome, and others. It takes me about 20-25 minutes to get the Joe to temp, which is, coincidentally, the same time for the meat to temper!

On mornings off where my fiancé Is working, I walk the dog all the way into town and down to one of the restaurants that looks out over Biscayne bay. I get eggs, coffee, and hash browns.

Dog gets 2 chicken sausage patties, some grilled potatoes with bacon bits, and a bowl of ice water.

I think he enjoys it even more than I do.

Reactions: 4 users
Not so much a happy happy joy joy thread but it did kind of make me snicker to myself with a happy smirk.

I’m a new attending at a new hospital and I’m wearing the wrong scrubs etc bc my “uniform” hasn’t come in yet, so I don’t look like the quintessential attending bc of the scrubs. This place has residents and rotators so I’m sure all the nurses are used to being annoyed by them all. So I’m tracking down what appears to be a pain in the you know what nurse from rumors, had a few questions about a patient that I just took sign out on and wanted to go over the plan. As I’m trying to talk to her, she is literally walking away and essentially “yeah yeah yeahing”/ignoring me... most likely because I look young and not wearing the right color scrubs. Until I politely introduced my self as Dr. X, I’m one of the new attendings here with a smile on my face in a very pleasant voice.

At which point you can see the total 180 attitude and demeanor on the face and voice of this nurse and the immediate jump into a huge smile across her face and a warm welcome that was followed up with “how can I help you Dr. X., sorry I apologize I wasn’t trying to ignore you”. I said no worries discussed the plan with her and walked away with a little grin on my face of pure content lol!!!
That made me a little happy lol

• Haha
13 pounds of pork shoulder, slow-smoking with cherry, hickory, maple, and pecan wood at 225-275F. Only 12-24 hours 'till perfection!

1596231446466.png

1596231528561.png

1596231569485.png

• Love
Reactions: 3 users