The Hard Truth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am writing this post not to discourage people but as a word of caution and to share my experience.

As of today, I have made the very difficult decision to give up veterinary medicine. Before anyone says "you just don't want it bad enough", let me share my story.

I am a 33 years old non-traditional applicant to WCVM (MB pool). I applied twice and failed twice. My first degree was in engineering with a 69% GPA. Since I decided to come back to school, I have been getting good grades, averaging to 94% GPA for the last 3 years. I made sure I gained wide range of experience (i.e emergency clinic, several small animals clinic, shadowed equine vet, worked with large animals vet, research, volunteer at a cattle farm, worked at poultry barn). After my first attempt, I was told that I had a good interview, but because of my old engineering grades, my average is considerably lower, so I went back to school last year to take another full year to up my grades. This year got another second round interview, but with the 30% increase in applicants, my best effort is still not good enough.

Before I started my journey, I set goals for myself, I met all of them, academically speaking I did better than I expected. I gave myself 2 tries because that's all the money I can conjure up. I want to share my story for those who are in the same boats. On one hand, I want to continue to try (cuz I kept thinking I am so close), but I can't justify keep spending that kind of money (not even talking about vet school itself) to "buy" my way in. I felt like whatever money I spend on getting the education I want for myself, I could have spent that money on my future may-be kids.

Everyone situation is different, my heart is totally broken because of this, but I have to be realistic, it's likely that I need to spend another couple years to cancel out my old grades from over 10 years ago, and even if I get in then, there's another 4 years of vet school. I think I may not be physically fit to do what I want to do (I want to be large animal vet). Also, I was told by some people in the profession, that WCVM prefers younger applicants because they can be moulded into anything they want and younger applicants are more willing to put up with sh**. It's not an easy decision for me, my heart is debating whether I should try again. I love everything about veterinary medicine, but I just don't think I have the money and time to continue on this journey. In conclusion, I would recommend anyone with similar background as me, think about the "added disadvantage" that we need to deal with, I didn't expect my past would haunt me as bad as it does, but there is no getting around that, so keep that in mind before quitting your job and start pursuing it.

Have a great day.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry you're in this predicament. I can see your frustrations and would also feel just as discouraged if I were in your situation. If you only applied to Western both times your applied, that may be your issue. Although dishing out more money to apply again may seem pointless, you may want to seriously consider applying to schools which offer academic grade forgiveness. Missouri and Illinois offer grade forgiveness options, but other schools may have policies in place as well.

Here's a previous thread that addresses grade forgiveness.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/vet-schools-with-grade-forgiveness.1043102/

When I was 40ish, I decided to apply to Vet School, and then gave up because I was told I had absolutely no chance with my low undergraduate GPA (2.5). I gave up for 10 years. Three years ago I decided to try again, did the pre-requisites, and I just applied last cycle and got in (I am 51 now). Granted, I have extremely good other credentials, 4 graduate degrees, near perfect GRE, excellent graduate GPA, and more, but it can be done. And I don't think you would need to do as much as I have to make it happen. I promise you, you will look back in 20 years and realize that 33 is very young, and that you still have plenty of time, and that 2 or 3 more years is no big deal to start to reach your dream. And, even if you ultimately fail, you will know that you tried your best. This was my thinking when I applied, If I was going to fail, I wanted to go out swinging, and not have to look back the rest of my life on the fact that I did not give it my absolute full effort. In 3 years you will be 36 whether you try or not. And likely, if you really love vet med, in three years you will wish you had tried, if you do not.

Maybe while you are trying beatles approach for grade forgiveness, you could also work on a related graduate degree part time while you work, and keep working on beefing up your other credentials as well. And, prepare like hell for the GRE to maximize your score. In 2 to 3 years, you could make yourself into a much stronger candidate. Regarding the money part, well, you will probably have to work while you pursue this. Very hard, but not impossible.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@mpang, have you considered applying to any of the US schools or further abroad? I'm sure it's cheaper to stay in your province, but it may be worthwhile to check it out.

Good luck with whatever path you decide to take.

Oh, and another thing, I rode with a female vet for about 10 hours in one day doing equine work, she was in her late 50s. She was not a large woman, and she had no problems, and she does it 7 days a week a lot of weeks.

@mpang, have you considered applying to any of the US schools or further abroad? I'm sure it's cheaper to stay in your province, but it may be worthwhile to check it out.

Good luck with whatever path you decide to take.

The Canadians can't get unlimited financial aid like we can in the US. Funding an OOS education would essentially require that they pay out of their own pocket.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry to hear that mpang. I realize it's not possible for everyone, but have you considered province-jumping to apply at another school in Canada? At UCVM, the interview/essay is 60% of your overall admission score (compared to WCVM's 40%), so grades end up being a bit less of a consideration. 128 are interviewed for 30 places, so they don't cut as many people from having a chance to prove themselves in the MMI.

I'm sorry to hear that mpang. I realize it's not possible for everyone, but have you considered province-jumping to apply at another school in Canada? At UCVM, the interview/essay is 60% of your overall admission score (compared to WCVM's 40%), so grades end up being a bit less of a consideration. 128 are interviewed for 30 places, so they don't cut as many people from having a chance to prove themselves in the MMI.

Thanks for your suggestion. Province-jumping isn't really an option for me, I personally know of people who are planning to move to Calgary because UCVM doesn't consider grades older than 10 years, so for people like myself, that's all we need, not special treatment, just the same starting point as those traditional applicants.

I applied twice as MB applicants and missed by couple spots both cycles, of course, we all know close doesn't get you in. From the trend, the applicant pool is getting bigger and bigger, I personally don't know how many years of additional school I need to balance out my old grades. Either way, the least competitive provinces are still SK and MB, does any one know SK or MB has the higher GPA?

Thanks for your suggestion. Province-jumping isn't really an option for me, I personally know of people who are planning to move to Calgary because UCVM doesn't consider grades older than 10 years, so for people like myself, that's all we need, not special treatment, just the same starting point as those traditional applicants.

I applied twice as MB applicants and missed by couple spots both cycles, of course, we all know close doesn't get you in. From the trend, the applicant pool is getting bigger and bigger, I personally don't know how many years of additional school I need to balance out my old grades. Either way, the least competitive provinces are still SK and MB, does any one know SK or MB has the higher GPA?

I don't. Maybe you could ask the school how many applied from SK and MB and how many were interviewed. That might give you a better idea as to the chances with knowing the number of seats available for each.

That might give you a better idea as to the chances with knowing the number of seats available for each.
QwqhZC

For 2013-2014 cycle, there were 70 applicants for 20 seats in SK and 48 applicants for 15 seats in MB. The seat-to-applicant ratio is comparable but we don't know the GPA of the accepted applicants for each province, SK could have significantly higher GPA than MB.

mpang, I can absolutely identify with what you're saying. I'm 38, am waitlisted, and have no plans to try again if not offered a spot. (I probably won't accept a spot, even if it is offered, but that's a whole-nother-topic...)

My past academic performance haunted me too. While my prereq grades were excellent, my cumulative GPA was seriously lacking. It sucks. It really does. And applying is very expensive, indeed. I totally get it.

But! I was just accepted into grad school with a partial scholarship! I will start a solid career sooner than expected and with barely any debt. I couldn't be happier. And I plan to always dabble in veterinary medicine...I will continue volunteering with my local spay/neuter clinic and rescues! So all is not lost :wink: There are other options. Always. Hang in there and keep an open mind. Hugs.

Reactions: 3 users
mpang, I can absolutely identify with what you're saying. I'm 38, am waitlisted, and have no plans to try again if not offered a spot. (I probably won't accept a spot, even if it is offered, but that's a whole-nother-topic...)

My past academic performance haunted me too. While my prereq grades were excellent, my cumulative GPA was seriously lacking. It sucks. It really does. And applying is very expensive, indeed. I totally get it.

But! I was just accepted into grad school with a partial scholarship! I will start a solid career sooner than expected and with barely any debt. I couldn't be happier. And I plan to always dabble in veterinary medicine...I will continue volunteering with my local spay/neuter clinic and rescues! So all is not lost :wink: There are other options. Always. Hang in there and keep an open mind. Hugs.

Hi ChittyBang, thanks for your insight. it's nice to know someone who can understand. I met with the admission committee 2 weeks ago, because I want to know what I did wrong and what other career options I can pursue (related to vet med). The frustrating thing is that I was told to try again and if I still can't get in next year, then I can go to them and ask for advice on graduate program, they think it's too early to give up. They also confirmed that if it weren't for my old grades, I would have ranked at least top 10, if not higher. In all, they basically say there is no fair to evaluate the GPA, some people like this, some people want clean slate, I personally don't know who would want old grades taken into consideration (may be except those with an Art major with a 4.0 GPA while scoring low in science). Anyhow, I also recently found out who had gotten in, knowing those people, I honestly have no faith in WCVM selection process.

But you're right, you will come out on top with zero to minimal debt. You will also have a solid career sooner, probably with less stress and shorter hours too. All the best to your future endeavour! Good luck.