"The" HY notes still worthwhile?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taus

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone who has taken the test within the past year or so....is it still worthwhile to go through "the" 36 and/or 100 page HY notes? I'm asking b/c they were made around 2002-3 and I would think the nbme has changed certain things in questions accordingly..... any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I have the EXACT same question. I figured that those notes would probably be in his book or in FA - but after looking through them some stuff is different...

Anyone that took the test think they were any good?

from what i hear it's all in his book - but if you want a concise list of it all i guess the 36p HY notes would be worthwhile as a last minute cram a thon.

another good review if you get ahold of it are the goljan slides he uses during his recorded mp3s. the pics he has are good and the exact pics show up on the boards (apparently there are from some path source that the NBME also uses for their questions). they have pretty good captions as well. i thought they were very helpful because he had pics of a lot of topics ive read about but have never seen visualized.

btw, dont ask me for them

"fakin' the funk" liked the HY notes and he did really well on the Step.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought all the "blue" highlighted stuff on RR Pathology (2) was his HY material.

thanks people....I guess it can't hurt to at least read the 36 pager once and mark the parts that I don't remember being in his book

btw...well aware that I sound like a tool w/ the "x" in the title...but people seem to get real uptight around here when mentioning goljans less-then-legal stuff

i guess an even deeper question - if still beneficial - when should they be read - day before? or a few days before to brush up on anything from those notes you have trouble with? I only ask because buried in the one-liners are tings that take a few pages - like "know the cardiac cycle" and "know how to interpret studies" that may require a bit of deviation form the original 36 pages...

I read the 100 page notes and would recommend that you not waste your time on them. Particularly if you already have Rapid Review Path (or perhaps Goljan Audio - but I didn't listen to much so I don't know).

"fakin' the funk" liked the HY notes and he did really well on the Step.

Whoa! Anyway, yes I do strongly recommend the 36 and 100. You gotta use 'em right though. Fast, fast, fast. Cross out the repetitive stuff, the "duh" stuff, or any bullet that refers to a CT/Xray that you don't have, with a fat Sharpie. Ignore the tables.

I used them to get those "kneejerk" associations/mechanisms/pearls down cold. The 36 is better (and obviously more portable) than the 100, but they're both good.

AND I DO NOT HAVE THEM SO DO NOT PM ME.

any chance someone could email me a copy of the 36 pager? i'd really really appreciate it. :oops:

Please refer to the Terms of Service which you agreed to when you created your account. SDN is not a place to solicit illegally obtained material without consent from the copyright holder.

Please refrain from this in the future.

Thanks,

Jayne

what about his 300+ questions? were those useful? i don't have them, so don't pm me.