The Importance of Doing Great in Lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

solid snake

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I know we should strive to get all good grades, but how important are lab grades? How would med schools look at it if you get a C in Organic lab or any other lab?

Thanks.
 
I doubt someone could be rejected on the grounds of a C in one lab alone. If there are Lab C's all over the map, they would probably question the student's ability to apply his/her knowledge in a technical setting - that could be a problem. I know doctors personally who got in with C's in the Organic Class, so one C shouldn't be a big deal. If you are a solid student and it sticks out like a thorn on your transcript, be prepared to explain it in an interview.
 
Originally posted by Mike59
I doubt someone could be rejected on the grounds of a C in one lab alone. If there are Lab C's all over the map, they would probably question the student's ability to apply his/her knowledge in a technical setting - that could be a problem. I know doctors personally who got in with C's in the Organic Class, so one C shouldn't be a big deal. If you are a solid student and it sticks out like a thorn on your transcript, be prepared to explain it in an interview.

Lab grades can be arbitrary too. My lab partner and I had the same scores on all the reports. I got a two grades lower than her! (1 grade lower would be B+ to B for example)... Grrr...


-RA
 
Just go into lab and approach it w/ the same vigor you would for a normal class. That way, if you end up not doing so hot, the rammifications would not be too great since it is only worth a couple units (depending on school). Everything else that everyone said is absolutely true. You don't want to have a track record of horrible lab skills, because some schools want people w/ the ability to do benchwork. It is the only time where practical application of the concepts learned in class happens. Good luck.