The Importance of Doing Great in Lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solid snake

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know we should strive to get all good grades, but how important are lab grades? How would med schools look at it if you get a C in Organic lab or any other lab?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt someone could be rejected on the grounds of a C in one lab alone. If there are Lab C's all over the map, they would probably question the student's ability to apply his/her knowledge in a technical setting - that could be a problem. I know doctors personally who got in with C's in the Organic Class, so one C shouldn't be a big deal. If you are a solid student and it sticks out like a thorn on your transcript, be prepared to explain it in an interview.

Originally posted by Mike59
I doubt someone could be rejected on the grounds of a C in one lab alone. If there are Lab C's all over the map, they would probably question the student's ability to apply his/her knowledge in a technical setting - that could be a problem. I know doctors personally who got in with C's in the Organic Class, so one C shouldn't be a big deal. If you are a solid student and it sticks out like a thorn on your transcript, be prepared to explain it in an interview.

Lab grades can be arbitrary too. My lab partner and I had the same scores on all the reports. I got a two grades lower than her! (1 grade lower would be B+ to B for example)... Grrr...

-RA

Just go into lab and approach it w/ the same vigor you would for a normal class. That way, if you end up not doing so hot, the rammifications would not be too great since it is only worth a couple units (depending on school). Everything else that everyone said is absolutely true. You don't want to have a track record of horrible lab skills, because some schools want people w/ the ability to do benchwork. It is the only time where practical application of the concepts learned in class happens. Good luck.