1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

The Importance of Doing Great in Lab

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by solid snake, Sep 4, 2002.

1. solid snake

solid snake Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys,

I know we should strive to get all good grades, but how important are lab grades? How would med schools look at it if you get a C in Organic lab or any other lab?

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mike59

Mike59 Sweatshop FP in Ontario
    7+ Year Member

I doubt someone could be rejected on the grounds of a C in one lab alone. If there are Lab C's all over the map, they would probably question the student's ability to apply his/her knowledge in a technical setting - that could be a problem. I know doctors personally who got in with C's in the Organic Class, so one C shouldn't be a big deal. If you are a solid student and it sticks out like a thorn on your transcript, be prepared to explain it in an interview.

3. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Lab grades can be arbitrary too. My lab partner and I had the same scores on all the reports. I got a two grades lower than her! (1 grade lower would be B+ to B for example)... Grrr...

-RA

4. PrincessCKNY

PrincessCKNY Crown Royal Member
    7+ Year Member

Just go into lab and approach it w/ the same vigor you would for a normal class. That way, if you end up not doing so hot, the rammifications would not be too great since it is only worth a couple units (depending on school). Everything else that everyone said is absolutely true. You don't want to have a track record of horrible lab skills, because some schools want people w/ the ability to do benchwork. It is the only time where practical application of the concepts learned in class happens. Good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...