The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
id say chinas economy would be considered advanced, no? 2nd only to US in GDP. inflation there has been around 2%
I suppose that makes sense, though. In a shipping/supply chain crunch situation, the country where everything comes from wouldn't have to deal with inflation as much. Add in that they are enjoying cheap Russian blood oil and there you go.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one is stopping you from posting positive news about Ukraine’s war effort. Russia is just winning rn
They wanted to take all of Ukraine. They got whooped in the North and are now in a slog for a relatively worthless part of land (Donbass) while Ukraine is destroying their infrastructure from afar with HIMARs and is preparing a counteroffensive near Kherson and the coast.
UKRAINE UPDATES | Ukraine tells residents to leave occupied south due to counter-attack plans

Russia is "winning" in that one region, but they got routed in the North and are about to get crushed in the South, too.

All you do is post pro Russia news. It's so hilariously one sided.

Yeah all this pro Russia news is weird. Maybe there should be a separate thread for that stuff.

It is not pro or anti…it is just the current situation right now. If Ukraine was winning, I would be posting it.
But you're not. That's the thing. Ukraine is making territorial gains in the South every day and you don't talk about it. There are opinions written every day about how Russia is in a campaign that will get them, at best, a pyrrhic victory and, at worst, a humiliating defeat that will crush their economy. The war isn't really being "won" by anyone right now except maybe China who is licking their chops at potentially making Russia a vassal state if their economics worsen.

I got no dog in this fight, but you guys that think the Russia/Ukraine war is good vs evil and that all this is not geopolitical/profit mongering deals, are sadly mistaken. As an emigrant from close proximity to Russia and Ukraine, let me educate you, every conflict in the world is an opportunity for international corporations and energy companies to make a profit. The war machine benefits select groups. When the US pledges billions of $$ to Ukraine, somebody is getting rich. Ukraine is one of the most racist nations in the area. White nationalists have always been a major force in that country. So put the blinders on and root for the underdog.

I got no dog in this fight, but you guys that think the Russia/Ukraine war is good vs evil and that all this is not geopolitical/profit mongering deals, are sadly mistaken. As an emigrant from close proximity to Russia and Ukraine, let me educate you, every conflict in the world is an opportunity for international corporations and energy companies to make a profit. The war machine benefits select groups. When the US pledges billions of $$ to Ukraine, somebody is getting rich. Ukraine is one of the most racist nations in the area. White nationalists have always been a major force in that country. So put the blinders on and root for the underdog.
Thanks for explaining the obvious things to us that most people already know.

What would we be without the genius insight that nobody is completely the good guy/ bad guy. And that the US military industrial complex is a thing.

Never heard of that. Ever! Genius insight!

You should write a book!

I'm trying to guess where you are from.

I'm going to guess Transnistrian or Serbian?

Last edited:
I'm cracking up over the racism stuff. The Azov people were neonazis, sure. But they aren't like some majority of the people in Ukraine or anything. Ukraine obviously has scars from being in the Eastern Block, but let's be real here. This is an emerging western democracy that is being invaded by the army of an autocrat whose country becomes more authoritarian by the day. Sure, there is evil in every conflict, but give me a damn break on this one. The bad guy here is very clearly Russia.

Thanks for explaining the obvious things to us that most people already know.

What would we be without the genius insight that nobody is completely the good guy/ bad guy. And that the US military industrial complex is a thing.

Never heard of that. Ever! Genius insight!

You should write a book!

I'm trying to guess where you are from.

I'm going to guess Transnistrian or Serbian?
Why, thank you, my genius does shine through. Just what in the heck is Transnistrian? A new age religion? Is that like Trans Gender? I haven't tried that, yet!
I am sure you have traveled to that region, walked amongst the people, lived there for a bit, and now can speak about the conflict.
And exporting "western democracy" , well Iraq and Afghanistan say Hi! Good old down home democracy did wonders for them.
Now I will just take my genius (ball) and go home. Start writing my book "The Genius Guide to World Conflict".

I didn’t know about the Azov. I always thought it was just pure propaganda by Putin.
Some of them were far right nationalists. Not all. You'll get that with nationalist here and there. They were like the Proud Boys of Ukraine. Except, you know, actually competent.

But Putin would take a handful of extremists in Azov that legitimately held far right views and extrapolate that to not only all of the Azov Batallion, but the Ukranian government, too. Of course, this is ridiculous, but Russian propaganda typically is.

Last edited:
Seems like they have a lot of ambition. This was posted 6 years ago. Unlike other BBC videos, you can no longer comment on this video.

If they have a lot of power within the government then it would be difficult for Ukraine to negotiate a peaceful end to this stupid war.

They don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's a good hedge for inflation? Gold and silver aren't doing so hot either.

I don't count on social security having anything left for millennials and after.
Not how it works. Social security is a pay as you go system. You are taxed, that money goes straight to those eligible for the program. There is a trust that was created in the 70s/80s to deal with the extra receipts SSI got from there being way more baby boomers than retirees. Now it's the opposite there aren't enough workers for all the retirees. So now the trust is currently paying for the boomers and will run out in the early 2030s. When this happens, retirees will only be subsidized by receipts from direct payroll taxes. Benefits will be reduced, but not go away entirely. Once the boomers die, there will be a huge burden relieved from the system. And then when the millennials (which as a cohort, is an echo-boom, larger than the generations around them) gets old, they will probably vote in massive social security and medicare benefits just like how the boomers keep perpetuating the system that supports them in spite of everyone younger than them.

Removing the income cap is probably the easiest solution long term, though.

Reactions: 1 user
View attachment 357168

Social security income max limit has been increasing by $5 k per year. Employer and employee pay a total of 12.4% tax. So that is an extra $622 tax per year.
the wage limit increased each year based on inflation. what will 2023’s number be, 160k? this is probably the end of most pharmacists getting past FICA max

Not how it works. Social security is a pay as you go system. You are taxed, that money goes straight to those eligible for the program. There is a trust that was created in the 70s/80s to deal with the extra receipts SSI got from there being way more baby boomers than retirees. Now it's the opposite there aren't enough workers for all the retirees. So now the trust is currently paying for the boomers and will run out in the early 2030s. When this happens, retirees will only be subsidized by receipts from direct payroll taxes. Benefits will be reduced, but not go away entirely. Once the boomers die, there will be a huge burden relieved from the system. And then when the millennials (which as a cohort, is an echo-boom, larger than the generations around them) gets old, they will probably vote in massive social security and medicare benefits just like how the boomers keep perpetuating the system that supports them in spite of everyone younger than them.

Removing the income cap is probably the easiest solution long term, though.
that and increasing retirement age by a year or two every decade or so.

You are supposed to get whatever you put in. That is why there is a max taxable scale.
Nope. Never has been like that. It's a Trust paid for by workers to support the retired. That's why when someone dies at age 65, their kids don't inherit their social security money they accumulated. They just don't get any payments, ever.

Anyone else buying the dips on today? Am I buying too early? I don't see much more bottom for some stocks like Roku, NTFLX, TDOC, etc

Anyone else buying the dips on today? Am I buying too early? I don't see much more bottom for some stocks like Roku, NTFLX, TDOC, etc
Oh there is probably plenty more bottom. But it’s pointless to try and find the bottom imo. Keep buying and holding. :)

• Haha
None of these companies do anything proprietary. Is TDOC even profitable yet? People want to see their doctor in person, not online. Roku has PE over 80. I don't know anyone who uses one.

None of these companies do anything proprietary. Is TDOC even profitable yet? People want to see their doctor in person, not online. Roku has PE over 80. I don't know anyone who uses one.
I use Roku. I like it. The product, not the stock. There is nothing “disruptive” about a box/stick/service that let’s you access content on a TV. I like it because it is easy to use and responsive but I wouldn’t care if I was using Fire stick or any other similar product/service instead.

I suspect that many or most people would love to skip actually going to their doctors office (I know I do) but my doctors office offers virtual appointments so it’s not like it’s exclusive to teledoc.

I use Roku. I like it. The product, not the stock. There is nothing “disruptive” about a box/stick/service that let’s you access content on a TV. I like it because it is easy to use and responsive but I wouldn’t care if I was using Fire stick or any other similar product/service instead.

I suspect that many or most people would love to skip actually going to their doctors office (I know I do) but my doctors office offers virtual appointments so it’s not like it’s exclusive to teledoc.

Yep I don't understand the hype for Roku. There's so many streaming services and you can just use Chromecast from your phone.

Probably - 20%

So basically the same as the market. I've only traded in my Roth this year. Sold all positions earlier and swung some short positions and a few calls. YTD return is 1.42% LoL. But I'm bagholding big time with crypto, wish I never touched that.

• Wow

Same on Roku. I literally have one connected to a smart TV. The Roku is simply faster and easier to use than the smart TV functionality.

Looking forward to the google split.

Hopeful that google and amazon will pay me a lot in 5, 10, 20 yrs.

I'm new here. You guys using literally ironically, or what? I've literally not seen literally so many times in one thread like ever.

• Haha
I think Dalio is trying to tell us something

View attachment 357305
Literally all of those are nothing new. The US is always at conflict with itself and externally. They are always "printing" money. There have always been huge wealth gaps. There are frequent financial crises. The 2007-2011 years were considerably worse than this.

Reactions: 1 users
And this is why California will always be expensive
View attachment 357364
I don’t understand. It’s not over a hundred degrees in Los Angeles today, but it gets that hot with some frequency. There might be some places in California at elevation or in coastal far northern Californian where it never gets that hot, but these are not the expensive parts of the state.

Last edited:
Mid 80s in LA today but LA also has the ocean breeze and a lot of trees
Are you reading the forecast or do you live here? It’s nice today, but you’re looking at a very small section of “Los Angeles”. The wind is blowing the right way and Downtown always runs a little cooler because the buildings provide shade/insulation. Go a few miles away into, say Glendale and it’s mid 90s. And again, it’s a nice day. I can’t tell you how many times recess was cancelled growing up because it was over 105 degrees. People don’t die here (in large numbers) when that happens because we’re used to it. We have air conditioning and swimming pools. These are not normal features in UK homes.

The Valley isn’t the hottest place on earth, but a warm day in summer and it’s pretty close. Same for Pasadena. Pasadena is not inexpensive.