The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Unless you need the money, why sell now? Sounds like you have them for a while now so you would qualify for long capital gain tax if it goes up. In the meantime you get to collect 2-3% dividend.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think the stock is more likely to go down than up in the short and long term. Retail pharmacy is a dying business.

Members don't see this ad.

Found this on reddit. Yay!

H.R. 6757: Family Savings Act of 2018 -- House Vote #411 -- Sep 27, 2018
Bill proposing a universal savings account passed the house
renderTimingPixel.png

Main takeaway from the bill for me was the Universal Savings Account which lets you contribute $2500 per year and lets you withdraw for any reason tax free.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This USA nonsense is the proverbial
camels-nose.jpg

Citizens will be forced to buy US Treasuries. What a time to start a program. When rest of world is no longer accumulating USTs. The domestic buyer will be hogtied into financing the government.

Anybody see the spike in yields this morning? I had to rub my eyes, what the hell am I looking at? Oh, the wealth that will be lost.

Democrats are voting no
Yes, democrats generally are opposed on more tax breaks for the rich. They don't need it. We all know this stuff mostly benefit people who can save a lot, not the paycheck to paycheck normal people. Normal people can't/won't even max 401k.

I just want to know how Aldi can sell a 12-pack of knockoff Pop Tarts for $1.09. Boggles the mind.

Is it because they taste like ****? The Aldi knockoff Oreos suck ass.

Props to whoever banned Carol for the 9th time.

Yes, democrats generally are opposed on more tax breaks for the rich. They don't need it. We all know this stuff mostly benefit people who can save a lot, not the paycheck to paycheck normal people. Normal people can't/won't even max 401k.

If I was middle class making $60k-80k, I would contribute to this TFSA. I would start with 401k up to the match, then this, then max 401k, then lastly IRA Roth. This is so much better than the roth.

I like this, personally. I could see the apprehension if we were talking a large sum, but wtf is $2500 going to mean to the wealth class? The really wealthy probably won't even bother. We, no, they will. They have accountants that will worry for them

Is this pre-tax or post? Either way, sign me up.

Hey guys, don’t flame me. Any one looked into dividend capture strategy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, don’t flame me. Any one looked into dividend capture strategy?

How much are you planning on buying per trade? What's your buy and sell transaction cost?

Most stocks fall on the day people lock in the dividend, sometimes by more or less then the dividend you'll get, how the market is doing during your short time period of holding will also raise or lower the price. Don't forget you will pay taxes on that short term trade.

Do people successfully do it? Sure, but it's of course not a perfect system.

Members don't see this ad :)
who is planning to retire after the next recession? lets see some hands!

I would like to, but I'm no where near close enough. I'll be happy to at least buy some inexpensive stocks and maybe a house or two. This is assuming I don't get laid off.

Assuming it plays out somewhat similar to the last and I am able to keep my job the whole time I should be able to do it. I imagine there is a lot of money out there thinking the same thing and we won't see anything more than a 25% dip in the market though.

I would say almost all of us don't plan to retire until after the next recession. How many people here have a few million saved up already? I imagine only a couple who read these boards are in retirement position before it happens.

What is your 401 k year-to-date rate of return? One more quarter and 2018 is over.

What is your 401 k year-to-date rate of return? One more quarter and 2018 is over.
401k: 5.5%. I have 70% in US index funds but dragged down by the 30% in international, bonds and stable value.
Roth IRA: 17%. I use it as a trading account because it's tax free.
Taxable: 17%. I try to invest for long-term capital gains through large growth stocks like AMZN, GOOG, Vanguard Growth Index Fund, and Vanguard IT ETF VGT (mostly AAPL, MSFT).

403(b): 4.6%
Roth: 6.2%
Taxable: -1.5%

Yeah, definitely not the same as the 2017 gravy train.

How much are you planning on buying per trade? What's your buy and sell transaction cost?

Most stocks fall on the day people lock in the dividend, sometimes by more or less then the dividend you'll get, how the market is doing during your short time period of holding will also raise or lower the price. Don't forget you will pay taxes on that short term trade.

Do people successfully do it? Sure, but it's of course not a perfect system.

The way I see, you have to put at least 50k to 100k make any sense.
Most stables ones that usually bounce up quick usually have less than 2% returns.
Luckily no fee whatsoever for buying and selling with Chase investment tool.
Not saying this will allows you to retire early, but doing this maybe allow us to cut back and not worry about hour cuts and whatnot.

I'm loving this month. We needed a healthy drop. Only way this market lasts is if we slow down to 5% yearly returns, not 10% or higher every year.

I'm loving this month. We needed a healthy drop. Only way this market lasts is if we slow down to 5% yearly returns, not 10% or higher every year.

Didn’t you say this year was going to be like last year?

Didn’t you say this year was going to be like last year?

That was 10 months ago that doesn't sound like what i would say. I've been neutral on the market most of the year.

My goal has always been dow 30k but I have no time range for that since I can't predict when the current issues will be resolved so we can get there.

You better hope we get back to 0% so you can say you were right.

How much should I let amazon fall before dumping in 9-10k ?

That was 10 months ago that doesn't sound like what i would say. I've been neutral on the market most of the year.

My goal has always been dow 30k but I have no time range for that since I can't predict when the current issues will be resolved so we can get there.

You better hope we get back to 0% so you can say you were right.

My opinion obviously doesn’t have bearing on the stock market. I called it as I see it. It has sure made me a lot of money tho.

How much should I let amazon fall before dumping in 9-10k ?

I bought amazon at $300 in December 2014 (see below). I still think it is a great company. Is it worth $2000 a share? No idea

However, this tariff war with China is going to hurt Amazon. Salary increase to $15 an hour is too.

Walgreens is up almost 3% today. I have met my 1 year limitation. I think 90 is a good selling price. I still have Amazon stocks and I will meet the 1 year limitation in December.

The longer the fed keeps rate at 0, the more risk it will take not just with one bubble but with multiple bubbles.

Bought $5k EM today. Looks so cheap, can't resist. Price at 2012 level, count me in.

5k to international tomorrow if it goes down more lol

US looks so pricey.

Bought $5k EM today. Looks so cheap, can't resist. Price at 2012 level, count me in.

5k to international tomorrow if it goes down more lol

US looks so pricey.

I am buying VWO....good chance it will go down further so long term investment only.

I bought amazon at $300 in December 2014 (see below). I still think it is a great company. Is it worth $2000 a share? No idea

However, this tariff war with China is going to hurt Amazon. Salary increase to $15 an hour is too.

Apple and Amazon these two stocks will always go up IMO. Apple can come up with Iphone 11 without making any changes from last model and people will still pay the higher price.

In Amazon's case I think current price is pretty good but it might even drop below 1600.. I am sitting on the fence right now.

Apple and Amazon these two stocks will always go up IMO. Apple can come up with Iphone 11 without making any changes from last model and people will still pay the higher price.

In Amazon's case I think current price is pretty good but it might even drop below 1600.. I am sitting on the fence right now.

Nothing is guaranteed to go up. If it did then no one would buy treasuries at 3% return.

My opinion obviously doesn’t have bearing on the stock market. I called it as I see it. It has sure made me a lot of money tho.

Yeah you called flat which may still happen with what's happening now.

Not sure how you could have done well if you invested expecting a flat year.

Gotta say it's very interesting how gold isn't reacting to any of this.

Is gold not a safe haven anymore?

Yeah you called flat which may still happen with what's happening now.

Not sure how you could have done well if you invested expecting a flat year.

It is flat if you count the whole stock market including emerging markets, international markets, bonds.

People were predicting 10-15% gain this year so regardless, I made a good call.

It is flat if you count the whole stock market including emerging markets, international markets, bonds.

People were predicting 10-15% gain this year so regardless, I made a good call.

Not 5 days ago, 7% will always be considered a good year and that may still happen. It must just be a wild coincidence you came here just now.

Or this is finally it which I really hope so. I want to retire already. You can't retire and protect in these ridiculously low rates. I want my minimum 5% CD already.

Not 5 days ago, 7% will always be considered a good year and that may still happen. It must just be a wild coincidence you came here just now.

Or this is finally it which I really hope so. I want to retire already.

You are not counting opportunity cost. 7% gain is crap and still down when your student loan interest is 6.8%. You gotta pay taxes on your “7% gain”.

You are not counting opportunity cost. 7% gain is crap and still down when your student loan interest is 6.8%. You gotta pay taxes on your “7% gain”.

What are these student loans you are talking about?

Capital gains tax is your friend during early retirement.

What are these student loans you are talking about?

Capital gains tax is your friend during early retirement.

You are way older than most people here so you didn’t graduate with much student loans.

You are way older than most people here so you didn’t graduate with much student loans.

I'll take that as your first compliment that I wasn't dumb enough to take out huge loans for a falling profession.

days like this make me glad that I don't usually hold most of my money in the market for long. If anyone has ever tried, these red days can be extremely lucrative if you short them via futures and put options. I was shorting SQ, AMZN, and AMD today

days like this make me glad that I don't usually hold most of my money in the market for long. If anyone has ever tried, these red days can be extremely lucrative if you short them via futures and put options. I was shorting SQ, AMZN, and AMD today

Very convenient

What about tomorrow?

S&P YTD: 7.89%
My 401k portfolio: 7.0303%

I suck. Oh well. The international index brought it down.

I was ahead of the curve, but it took a pretty bad hit last week and got me under the line.

After yesterday's bloodbath:
My 401k: 3.1891%
S&P YTD: 4.19%

I keep getting crappier and crappier at this, lol.