The job search

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laurel123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am finally starting my final year of anesthesia residency and I am starting to look for a job. I don't even know where to start! When do I start? Should I use the internet or just the phone book to start looking around?

If anyone has any knowledge about the job market in the San Diego area, I would love to hear the scoop. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

There is another good post in the forum that Jet has answered in detail about the job search process.

For myself (just graduated and praying that I don't have to retake the written boards :scared: ), I looked at areas I thought were desirable for me to live in, narrowed the focus somewhat to five states (California, Texas, Washington, Arizona, and Oregon), came up with cities that I liked in each state, and then sat down to look at what I wanted to look for in a group.

You need to come up with a list of factors that you feel are important for you to consider in joining a practice and you need to rank those factors.

I looked at
1. Reimbursement and reimbursement schedule
2. Location
3. Call schedules
4. Partnership track
5. Single versus multiple facilities
6. Hearts (yes or no)
7. Predominant case type
8. Business model (group of a larger group of a behemoth group, small group, etc.)
9. Benefits package and investment opportunities
10. Composition of the group (age distribution, educational background, personalities, conflicts, etc.)
11. Vacation time
12. Group reputation
13. Distribution of cost, who pays for what overhead, etc.
14. Malpractice insurance cost and cost distribution

There were several others, but I think those were the main points.

Start your job search with your program and any alumni contacts that you can find in the areas you are looking at. Those first hand sources are golden and can usually give you great insight not only into their own group but competing groups as well. Having a first hand reference from someone already in a group you are looking to join pretty much guarantees you a spot, unless you are a poor candidate for whatever reason (probation, etc.).

Look at the various hospitals in the cities you are looking at and you can just call the hospital, ask to be connected to the department of anesthesiology or the medical services department, and just ask which groups are there and if any are looking to hire.

After that, you can look at internet sites like Gaswork, etc. and/or use a recruiter to widen your search. Understand that recruiters have vested interests in placing you with certain groups (i.e. groups that will pay them more for finding a candidate), so having done the above steps may help you avoid a situation that the recruiters are presenting to you in a different light.

San Diego is a tight market with one huge dominant group and some smaller groups. I have heard the partnership track in the big group is lengthy and the reimbursement at the partnership level probably average compared to other areas. There was a smaller group I looked at that was composed of older anesthesiologists looking to hire younger partners and offering a very short partnership track. Elite Anesthesia, if I recall correctly. Cover facilities in San Diego, the valley, and one or two facilities in L.A., all in a close proximity to each other. Contact David Wu at [email protected] if you want to look at it. I had already made my decision when they contacted me.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any more questions.

UTSouthwestern,

Thank you so much for you input, that was really helpful. Do you think now is too early to start calling people? Good luck on passing your boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never too early to start calling. Many people in the current CA-3 class of Southwestern started their job search in the past spring. Just realize that a group you like may not have a job opening now, but may have one much later in the year. You will have to decide what time frame you want to use in making your final decision. If you are lucky, the group you like will have a position available immediately. If not, you may have to play the waiting game, so keep all of your options open.

OK, I have begun the search.

So what do you know about this Elite anesthesia group in san Diego. They don't have a webpage so all I have information on is that huge 180 person group in San Diego.

Thanks

I only have some information that they gave me and a friend who went to UCSD gave me. It seems that they are a smaller sized group (less than 20 members), older age distribution, covering multispecialty anesthesia without hearts or transplants. You as a young anesthesiologist will be able to introduce a lot of the newer concepts to the anesthesiologists in that group.

Head guy seems to be very nice. Asked me to just take trip out there and emphasized that getting into the SD market was very tough and their group offered you an immediate way in with, I believe 5 facilities covered. The opinion of the UCSD resident was that it was a average to good group, average reimbursement, but most importantly was established in the SD market.

Didn't get far enough to ask about call schedules, benefits, etc. I think you should just e-mail David and ask him those questions. Seems like they want to hire more than one person and may be willing to sign you now and wait for you to join next year.

Girlfriend, get medical licenses in 5 of your favorite states now. Hook up with 3-5 locum tenens agencies. Work when and where you want to. Work on gettin' your anesthesia goove down. Make serious coin with minimal HAs. ---Zippy

two sources for info on job search:
1. Great book: "The Ultimate Guide to finding the right job after residency", Amazon, $22
2. Blog "A Physician on Job Search" Comprehensive discussion of job search methods with one post about helpful links. Great source.