The layman's ranking of specialty prestige

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought it would be interesting to make some rankings as to how I feel medical specialties are perceived by laymen

Top 3 Most Prestigious

1. Neurosurgeon - I guess the brain is cool and surgery is cool too?

2. Cardiologist - IDK why people get so excited about cardiologists tbh

3. Neurologist - I feel like people just love neuro- anything

Top 3 Least Prestigious

1. Psychiatry - "Wait... you have to go to med school to become a psychiatrist? I didn't even know they were doctors."

2. Ophthalmology - "Oh yeah my cousin is an optometrist too..."

3. PM & R - "Oh yeah my cousin is a physical therapist too..."

Feel free to share your thoughts/layman's ranking

Members don't see this ad.

You must be bored.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Idk I think with shows like Friaser people tend to view phychaitry as more prestigious than it actually is.

Reactions: 1 user
This is the point I usually go prove you are a troll, but honestly, it be like pushing a blind person down at this point.

Reactions: 3 users
This is the point I usually go prove you are a troll, but honestly, it be like pushing a blind person down at this point.
Sorry man. I'm not trying to troll. Just bored I guess :(

I would delete this thread if I could... but I can't.

You guys disparage this post, but I think that secretly you really care about "layman's prestige" :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I'm still going for psychiatry, prestige be damned.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Layman reputation rankings are useless. They don't know that ENT, Optho, and Derm physicians were mostly at the top of their med school classes. They just think anything neuro or cardio related is uber prestigious.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
Being a layperson, I have the utmost respect for ophthalmologists....but my cousins are accountants.

Edit: grammar fail

Last edited:
Lol you guys are ruthless.

farva-sugar.png

Reactions: 1 users
Idk I think with shows like Friaser people tend to view phychaitry as more prestigious than it actually is.
Frazier was a morning drive time radio psychiatrist, who used to hang out at a sports bar with a bunch of blue collar stiffs. Except for his minor celebrity status nobody considered him particularly prestigious.

Reactions: 1 users
Basically anything where you wear scrubs. It doesn't matter what you do if you show up to family gatherings or public events in scrubs, everyone will think you are the shiz biz

Brain surgery...it's not rocket science. Spoken as the daughter of a neurosurgeon and sister of a rocket scientist.

Brain surgery...it's not rocket science. Spoken as the daughter of a neurosurgeon and sister of a rocket scientist.

"Rocket Science", eh it's soooo 1960's. Update to Nano Science...you know the ppl building cell sized cyborgs to rule the wor, I mean, assist surgeons, lol.

Thought it would be interesting to make some rankings as to how I feel medical specialties are perceived by laymen

Top 3 Least Prestigious

1. Psychiatry - "Wait... you have to go to med school to become a psychiatrist? I didn't even know they were doctors."

2. Ophthalmology - "Oh yeah my cousin is an optometrist too..."

3. PM & R - "Oh yeah my cousin is a physical therapist too..."

Feel free to share your thoughts/layman's ranking
The laymen you know obviously have no idea of the extent to which psychiatrists save lives and can drastically improve the quality of life for those in their care.

The laymen you know obviously have no idea of the extent to which psychiatrists save lives and can drastically improve the quality of life for those in their care.
I mean I agree. The reason I put that there was because sometimes I tell people I want to go to medical school. Then they inevitably ask me what specialty I want to pursue. When I tell them my interests (which include psychiatry) the response I get is usually what I posted. Feelskindabadman

I mean I agree. The reason I put that there was because sometimes I tell people I want to go to medical school. Then they inevitably ask me what specialty I want to pursue. When I tell them my interests (which include psychiatry) the response I get is usually what I posted. Feelskindabadman

It's ok, I'm sure you manage to nimbly navigate those conversations. Ah hah. Ha ha ha. Ha. I made a funny.

Sounds like a good chance to educate your audience.