The lifestyle of a dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentisting

Pure Awesome
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone talks about the lifestyle of the dentist... it sounds as though every dentist has the same "lifestyle". My question is how do you define the "lifestyle of a dentist"?

When I think of dentistry, I think of the work, the patients, the dental office, and what it means to be involved in those things.

Are there any specific things that I am missing? Does it all usually in relation to another career?

For some reason when people talk about the "lifestyle" i think money...

How should I start understanding the phrase better, so that I am not completely lost when people mention it in other topics?

Members don't see this ad.

When I think of dentistry, I think of the work, the patients, the dental office, and what it means to be involved in those things.

What you've mentioned are all significant aspects of the lifestyle. Life, however, extends beyond work.

From what I understand and have experienced, denstistry as a career offers a lot of freedom for the simple fact that we can be our own bosses, (ie. opening a practice) if we so choose. We therefore have control over what hours we work so on and so forth. This could mean spending more time with your family etc.

Another factor of the lifestyle that doesn't hurt at all is the financial stability. :laugh: