The long way around...

Started by RevGood
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RevGood

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm back. Came to this forum about 10 years ago when I began to consider medical school. Now, it is 10 years later and I'm 10 years old considering it again. I'm 43, with a 15 year old in high school, a wife and a full-time job (career) that I am wanting to transition out of. Every time I drive by a hospital I think about becoming a doctor.

So, I'm here again to glean your wisdom.
 
I'm back. Came to this forum about 10 years ago when I began to consider medical school. Now, it is 10 years later and I'm 10 years old considering it again. I'm 43, with a 15 year old in high school, a wife and a full-time job (career) that I am wanting to transition out of. Every time I drive by a hospital I think about becoming a doctor.

So, I'm here again to glean your wisdom.

I hear ya , came to this forum 7+ years ago when I was debating PA and MD. Well now I'm back too...
should have fulfilled by desires when it would have been a lot easier without a child, PA school debt, mortgage and being 7 years older.
But I always come back to this thought: I still have 20-25 working years that I could be fulfilled as a physician when it's all said and done
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm back. Came to this forum about 10 years ago when I began to consider medical school. Now, it is 10 years later and I'm 10 years old considering it again. I'm 43, with a 15 year old in high school, a wife and a full-time job (career) that I am wanting to transition out of. Every time I drive by a hospital I think about becoming a doctor.

So, I'm here again to glean your wisdom.
So what's your plan? Whatcha gonna do about it? :banana:

I have a 15 year old as well-- perfect timing because he will be driving when I go to med school next year!
 
I graduated one of my best students in 2015 at the age of 50, so if you want to go down this road, it's time to **** or get off the pot. We can't tell you what to do when you grow up.

Start by shadowing some doctors. Then start volunteering with patients. Then start on your pre-reqs and MCAT prep.

Also read everything written in this forum by the wise @DrMidlife.

But wanting to go into Medicine because you don't like your current job is a bad reason to go into Medicine.

I'm back. Came to this forum about 10 years ago when I began to consider medical school. Now, it is 10 years later and I'm 10 years old considering it again. I'm 43, with a 15 year old in high school, a wife and a full-time job (career) that I am wanting to transition out of. Every time I drive by a hospital I think about becoming a doctor.

So, I'm here again to glean your wisdom.
 
I graduated one of my best students in 2015 at the age of 50, so if you want to go down this road, it's time to **** or get off the pot. We can't tell you what to do when you grow up.

Start by shadowing some doctors. Then start volunteering with patients. Then start on your pre-reqs and MCAT prep.

Also read everything written in this forum by the wise @DrMidlife.

But wanting to go into Medicine because you don't like your current job is a bad reason to go into Medicine.


I shouldn't have included that in my original post. It isn't that I hate my current job - I have just been considering medicine for years, and am not content with what I'm doing now because of it.
 
So what's your plan? Whatcha gonna do about it? :banana:

I have a 15 year old as well-- perfect timing because he will be driving when I go to med school next year!

Well, I have started looking into taking my pre-reqs. I am near Indianapolis, so IU is a first choice, but if not there than maybe at Marian University - which just opened up a new DO school recently.

That, and getting ready for the MCAT are my plans at the moment.
 
Well, I have started looking into taking my pre-reqs. That, and getting ready for the MCAT are my plans at the moment.

If you haven't taken the pre-reqs lately, then no need to start MCAT prep. cart-horse sort of thing.