The long way around...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RevGood

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm back. Came to this forum about 10 years ago when I began to consider medical school. Now, it is 10 years later and I'm 10 years old considering it again. I'm 43, with a 15 year old in high school, a wife and a full-time job (career) that I am wanting to transition out of. Every time I drive by a hospital I think about becoming a doctor.

So, I'm here again to glean your wisdom.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm back. Came to this forum about 10 years ago when I began to consider medical school. Now, it is 10 years later and I'm 10 years old considering it again. I'm 43, with a 15 year old in high school, a wife and a full-time job (career) that I am wanting to transition out of. Every time I drive by a hospital I think about becoming a doctor.

I hear ya , came to this forum 7+ years ago when I was debating PA and MD. Well now I'm back too...
should have fulfilled by desires when it would have been a lot easier without a child, PA school debt, mortgage and being 7 years older.
But I always come back to this thought: I still have 20-25 working years that I could be fulfilled as a physician when it's all said and done

Members don't see this ad :)

So what's your plan? Whatcha gonna do about it? :banana:

I have a 15 year old as well-- perfect timing because he will be driving when I go to med school next year!

Finally, somebody older than me!
:( I've always been older than you (and almost everyone else here...)

welcome back OP... that passion never leaves you.

I graduated one of my best students in 2015 at the age of 50, so if you want to go down this road, it's time to **** or get off the pot. We can't tell you what to do when you grow up.

Start by shadowing some doctors. Then start volunteering with patients. Then start on your pre-reqs and MCAT prep.

Also read everything written in this forum by the wise @DrMidlife.

But wanting to go into Medicine because you don't like your current job is a bad reason to go into Medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
50, so if you want to go down this road, it's time to **** or get off the pot.
It was meant for OP, but thank you from the bottom of my heart. I'm stickying it on my LI and FB pages.

Reactions: 1 user
I graduated one of my best students in 2015 at the age of 50, so if you want to go down this road, it's time to **** or get off the pot. We can't tell you what to do when you grow up.

Start by shadowing some doctors. Then start volunteering with patients. Then start on your pre-reqs and MCAT prep.

Also read everything written in this forum by the wise @DrMidlife.

But wanting to go into Medicine because you don't like your current job is a bad reason to go into Medicine.

I shouldn't have included that in my original post. It isn't that I hate my current job - I have just been considering medicine for years, and am not content with what I'm doing now because of it.

So what's your plan? Whatcha gonna do about it? :banana:

I have a 15 year old as well-- perfect timing because he will be driving when I go to med school next year!

Well, I have started looking into taking my pre-reqs. I am near Indianapolis, so IU is a first choice, but if not there than maybe at Marian University - which just opened up a new DO school recently.

That, and getting ready for the MCAT are my plans at the moment.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, I have started looking into taking my pre-reqs. That, and getting ready for the MCAT are my plans at the moment.

If you haven't taken the pre-reqs lately, then no need to start MCAT prep. cart-horse sort of thing.