The Lost Tampons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joyness

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello doc, you know it's really embarrassing, and I really didn't want to have to come here, but...

Oh come on. I was just curious as to how many of these you get.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm confused by your post. Are you mimicking a patient, or are you coming on here asking for advice as how to get the tampon out?

Actually my friends and I were kicking back and discussing our unfortunate tampon moments, but a situation did prompt the post. Though it was meant to be a joke, I was also curious as to just how common it is. Kind of makes us feel better you know?

Members don't see this ad :)
I read the thread title and I thought it was a new Disney movie.

Fished out a condom on my FP rotation this month--all these damn kids thinking they need to be rollin' on magnums just to impress their HS-age girlfriends . . . .

I'll be honest, i'm an intern and have had this cc once.

Morbidly obese, totally disguisting.

I couldn't find the darn tampon.

f/u with PMD in AM.

Have definately seen it a number of times. Often times, there is nothing there. (combine alcohol and that time of the month, and sometimes the tampon 'disappears' because its removal has been forgotten).

have removed broken condom twice.

that smell is definitely in the elite class, with only a few rivals.

I've posted this before, but it's been a while, and I never tire of telling the story:

I'm on shift when they wheel in this 40 yo female screaming at the top of her lungs "Get it out! Get it out!" She was diaphoretic, with sweat pouring down her face, and in apparent distress. I follow the nurses into the room we take turns asking her questions as they get an IV in her and get vitals. Apparently, she checked into the ED, and was waiting to be triaged. She was found by a fellow patient in the waiting room with her pants around her ankles screaming, "get it out, get it out!" and reaching up her vagina. In the exam room, now on the gurney, she tells us that she has had a tampon stuck in her vagina that she hasn't been able to get out for several days. She is tachycardic, and I'm suspecting toxic shock syndrome, so I go get the pelvic tray to see what I'm going to find. I put her on a bed-pan, rather than the stirrups, to hasten the exam, stick the speculum in thinking, "this is going to be scary", and I see... nothing... normal cervix, no significant discharge, no bleeding. I say, maam, I don't see a tampon in there." All of a sudden, she starts straining like crazy." She is in mega- pushing mode, face beat-red, jugulars poppling out, eyes protruding. I keep angling the speculum around to make sure I'm not missing something, and the nurses are telling each other, "she's going to have a baby!" All of the sudden, she pushes the speculum out with her straining. I stand back and, with 2 nurses and a tech, watch this lady have a massive bowel movement on the bed. She looked so bad, that I got some labs looking for metabolic derangement, or signs of infection, and a head CT to evaluate for a mass, or an abscess or something that would cause altered mental status. Everything was normal, and when I checked on her again, she looked perfectly normal, and had no complaints. Discharge diagnosis: Severely urgent need to defecate.

On discharge, she said that she had schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. In addition to her mental illness, she was about as sharp as a bowling ball.

Well, that's one way to dodge triage...or a long line at the bathroom...

Had 3 shifts in a row recently where I pulled something out once per shift. I pulled out one tampon then 2 condoms. I guess everything comes in 3's.

On same visit?

The Nuva ring I pulled out of a patient recently was just peachy.
Chief complaint "Pregnant with vaginal bleeding"
My first comment after landing my catch, "Guess you weren't trying to get pregnant."
The smell was horrid and the ring was like 5 different colors.