You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
The "magic number" and the MSAR.
Started by Karina 07
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
As you move down the list, the difference between Lizzy score of the accepted students (a subset of those who were interviewed) and the Lizzy score of the matriculants diverges. Think about this:
Go with numbers for admitted if you want to maximize your chances of getting interviews. Schools love to interview fabulous applicants who seem to be unlikely to matriculate (but the schools have to try with the hope that they'll snag a few away from Wash U.) If you are wondering if you will be among the most talented in the class, average or toward the bottom, compare your Lizzy score to the average for matriculants. This might come in more handy if you are trying to decide among schools once the offers are on the table.
Go with numbers for admitted if you want to maximize your chances of getting interviews. Schools love to interview fabulous applicants who seem to be unlikely to matriculate (but the schools have to try with the hope that they'll snag a few away from Wash U.) If you are wondering if you will be among the most talented in the class, average or toward the bottom, compare your Lizzy score to the average for matriculants. This might come in more handy if you are trying to decide among schools once the offers are on the table.
I made a list out of sheer boredom because I am unemployed and out of school. The list is based on Exi's post of the MSAR for 2008-2009. There's a lot of the schools so props to Exi. The list is in Excel format. You put in your MCAT and overall GPA. It calculates your LizzyM score. And then compares it to each school's magic number on the list. Based on LizzyM's criteria for 'safety', 'sure to apply', and 'reach' schools in this thread it will show where you fall using the color coded terror alert level. Hopefully it's not copyright infringement if your using public data and listing only portions of it.
Here's the file:
View attachment 8375
Now, see, I put in all my numbers and it told me to go for all the schools I just got rejected from. I'm waitlisted at a reach and a safety, though.

Needs to be adjusted with a checkbox for "complete in January, like the ***** you are."
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Now, see, I put in all my numbers and it told me to go for all the schools I just got rejected from. I'm waitlisted at a reach and a safety, though.
Needs to be adjusted with a checkbox for "complete in January, like the ***** you are."![]()
It only gives a ballpark with regards to academic performance. One should then compare persoal experiences to the experiences generally expected of students matriculating at that school (e.g. research experience, shadowing, clinical exposure).
Now, see, I put in all my numbers and it told me to go for all the schools I just got rejected from. I'm waitlisted at a reach and a safety, though.
Needs to be adjusted with a checkbox for "complete in January, like the ***** you are."![]()
Interstingly enough, you also got an interview at WashU (whose average gpa is a 3.9).
Interstingly enough, you also got an interview at WashU (whose average gpa is a 3.9).
That was the "reach."👍
I just sent them a love letter. Hopefully, they'll see my love and raise me an acceptance.

I just bought the new edition of the USNWR Best Grad Schools Edition for 2009. I only looked at a few schools to which I have currently applied to. I saw either approximately the same stats or a slight increase in both or either GPA and MCAT. However, there are some schools that did not respond to it for whatever reason. This is just to give a heads up to people who don't see an entry for their school at the USNWR website.
I posted an excel spreadsheet of schools ranked by "LizzyM" Score and "Academic Index" here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6478752&postcount=65
Enjoy! 😉
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6478752&postcount=65
Enjoy! 😉
I updated the list with all (I think) allopathic and osteopathic schools so people applying the upcoming cycle have something to go by. The information for the allopathic schools is from the 2008-2009 MSAR. The info for the osteopathic schools is a little more outdated.
View attachment LizzyM comparison - 19 Osteopathic Schools + Allopathic Schools.xls
View attachment LizzyM comparison - 19 Osteopathic Schools + Allopathic Schools.xls
I posted an excel spreadsheet of schools ranked by "LizzyM" Score and "Academic Index" here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6478752&postcount=65
Enjoy! 😉
Dude, great job!!
Dude, great job!!
I second that sentiment
I posted an excel spreadsheet of schools ranked by "LizzyM" Score and "Academic Index" here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6478752&postcount=65
Enjoy! 😉
Oooh, pretty colors...
So apparently I am competitive for Stanford and UCSF...AWESOME!!!!!
too too bad
too too bad
That Lizzy score is really interesting... but it called everywhere a safety... except for Wash U (where I am an Undergrad). I really wouldn't call that may schools safety schools at all.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That Lizzy score is really interesting... but it called everywhere a safety... except for Wash U (where I am an Undergrad). I really wouldn't call that may schools safety schools at all.
Yeah I agree. My LizzyM score is a 74 right now (3.4 after this year), which means that I should be competitive at every school other than WashUStl...and obviously I'm not.
It's an interesting little exercise to calculate these 'Magic Numbers' but you really shouldn't put too much stock into them. They only get you in the door. If you want to seal the deal it takes much more than that.
The so called LizzyM score correlates fairly well with the Academic Index. (funny, cause i was flamed big time in another thread for talking about the AI)
Now, I think that by no means these 'magic numbers' are intended to suggest that if you are above a certain value, that school is a safety! That interpretation is way wrong.
All you can take from that, is that at least you have the minimum standards to be considered ( and that you will likely make the first cuts )
That's a point that I had tried to make all along in that other thread.
Now, I think that by no means these 'magic numbers' are intended to suggest that if you are above a certain value, that school is a safety! That interpretation is way wrong.
All you can take from that, is that at least you have the minimum standards to be considered ( and that you will likely make the first cuts )
That's a point that I had tried to make all along in that other thread.
What is going on with people who have a LizzyM score >74 is that these folks are fortunate to have the academic chops to get in anywhere. It makes sense to make a list that includes schools you like and that are friendly to applicants from your state.
Following that advice, it is unlikely that someone with good academics, the usual ECs, good LORs, no Institutional Actions, well written essays and the good sense not to act like an *** at the interview will be left on the sidelines when the admissions season is finished if they apply early and apply to at least 12 med schools.
Following that advice, it is unlikely that someone with good academics, the usual ECs, good LORs, no Institutional Actions, well written essays and the good sense not to act like an *** at the interview will be left on the sidelines when the admissions season is finished if they apply early and apply to at least 12 med schools.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 972
- Replies
- 24
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 238