drboris

15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Chicago
Status
I am just a first year right now, but I am very interested in ophtho and am trying to learn more.

I know it is in the early match and that you apply for the 1st transitional year separately through the regular match, but what if things don't work out.

I am not exactly at the top of my class, I am however above the mean. What happens if you don't rock the boards and then can't match in the early match. At that point ophtho would be a lost cause, regardless how much a person really wanted to do it, and there wouldn't be any backup match.

Is this right or am I missing something? It just seems really risky to put all your marbles in one jar and then, God forbid, not be able to do ophtho b/c of boards. Are there any programs in the country where 220 and passes in third year will get you matched, or is every program >228 and requires really good clerkship grades?

Thanks

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status
Attending Physician
If you don't try, then you will never know. Take the risk. If you fail to match, then you can match into another specialty. I had similar board scores as yours. It takes more than just rocking the boards to be a strong ophthalmologist.

My backup was internal medicine. During my internship year, the faculty were trying to convince me to switch from ophthalmology to internal medicine.

Good luck and welcome to the ophthalmology forum! :D

JR

15+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2001
Visit site
Status
Andy, I was actually approached several times this year by my IM faculty and asked to consider switching. I wonder if this practice is uniform across the board with all subspecialities. Do you know anyone who has ever switched from Ophtho to IM?

Andrew_Doan said:
If you don't try, then you will never know. Take the risk. If you fail to match, then you can match into another specialty. I had similar board scores as yours. It takes more than just rocking the boards to be a strong ophthalmologist.

My backup was internal medicine. During my internship year, the faculty were trying to convince me to switch from ophthalmology to internal medicine.

Good luck and welcome to the ophthalmology forum! :D