The Miscellanea Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwopty99

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thread for miscellanea. Please contribute whatever you see fit.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Heh that's funny. I have seriously (well, not so seriously) considered having a little side-service of proofing things like Powerpoint presentations for professionals. I'm pretty good at the English language when I want to be. :p But really, I have seen so many presentations by EXCELLENT, highly regarded ODs, but their slides have stupid errors in them. I'm sure they are brilliant people, and their ability to make perfect slides doesn't really affect how they perform clinically. But when you don't use the correct their/there/they're (just an example)...it just makes you look not-so-smart. I guess it's just one of my pet peeves....

That reminds me. I work at a private practice half time, and while things are building up there, I work at a Penney's optical to add up to full time. The first time they ordered business cards for me, they came back with my name spelled incorrectly. Finally, the new ones came in. I take a look at my name, and it's right, so I take a stack back to my room, and they put a stack out front. A few days later, I look closer, and under my name it says:

Optomertrist

Oh geez.

Another random thing. I knew a speaker/teacher who couldn't pronounce epithelium. He said it like epi - thee - yum. It kinda made me smile.

I guess it boils down to this: Poor spelling/grammar drives me crazy, but you can pronounce it however you like. :laugh:

UGH how embarassing!! I can't STAND typos a) in my professor's notes/slides or b) anywhere where proofreading is, you know, important.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took a Marine Biology class this semester (I'm still undergrad...opt school next year!) because I thought it'd be cool and I love learning about whales and dolphins...so we get to the LAST lecture of the year for this awful class and she spends 5 minutes on cetaceans (whales and dolphins) and spells "dolfins" incorrectly. For an established marine biologist with printed material to her name I found this saddening! Especially since the f isn't really near the p or the h on the keyboard...oh and of course it irritated the heck out of me!

What's your take?

Last edited:
This bothers me to no end. If you have to lie to make yourself sound great, then that is proof that you really aren't.

There are people on the UW Optometry website listed with the title "assistant clinical professor."

The notion of a "part time professor" is not something that I feel is self aggrandizing in any way. Most of the general public who is not or who have not been in academia do not know what the term "adjunct" means so I believe that "part time professor" is a legitimate substitute.

Last edited:
Neither of those two are listed on the site though haha

That's certainly true.

Last edited:
Follow-up question from above?

What's your take?

Last edited:
I've also found it very interesting that so many Ontario OD's list on their websites the names of all the products they sell in their dispensaries... something that is very clearly an act of professional misconduct in Ontario.

Don't these people read the College regulations? Why follow any of the college rules?

I've also found it very interesting that so many Ontario OD's list on their websites the names of all the products they sell in their dispensaries... something that is very clearly an act of professional misconduct in Ontario.

Don't these people read the College regulations? Why follow any of the college rules?

Forgive my complete ignorance on the topic, but what is wrong with listing the products they sell?

There is no "clinical professorship" track at the University of Waterloo, and I don't see anybody on that faculty page link that holds the title. At the University of Waterloo,

Assistant Professor: Yes this exists.
Assistant Clinical Professor: No this does not exist.

Further, to obtain "Assistant Professor" status at UW, it almost absolutely required that you have a PhD. The last non-PhD to get this faculty appointment at UW was (I believe) in 1979, and the person was an OD, MSc and he likely got that appointment because there was no PhDs who applied that year.

To me, this is much ado about nothing. I don't see that as a real self-aggrandizing situation. It may not be technically correct, but to me saying "assistant clinical professor" or "assistant professor" matters little when the information is for consumption by the general public. I beleive that the person is just trying to say that they teach, or have taught student clinicians in the clinic at UW.

Again, I don't have a real issue with it.

Forgive my complete ignorance on the topic, but what is wrong with listing the products they sell?
According to the professional misconduct regulations for the Ontario College of Optometrists this is not permitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really?

Last edited:
To me, this is much ado about nothing. I don't see that as a real self-aggrandizing situation. It may not be technically correct, but to me saying "assistant clinical professor" or "assistant professor" matters little when the information is for consumption by the general public. I beleive that the person is just trying to say that they teach, or have taught student clinicians in the clinic at UW.

Again, I don't have a real issue with it.

Neither do I

Last edited:
I beleive that the person is just trying to say that they teach, or have taught student clinicians in the clinic at UW.

I agree.

Last edited:
Dr. YYY is a part time professor at the University of Waterloo, College of Optometry where her primary academic interests include the areas of specialty contact lens fitting, ocular disease and primary care optometry.

Are residencies ever referred to as fellowships? That's a new one to me.

Last edited:
I also have my doubt that either of these folks have significant (if any) roles as clinicians at UW. I was there recently and I've never heard of either of them.

I'm finishing up my 4th year at UW.

I have to agree with qwopty99 on this one. I think the best part is "UW College of Optometry"... at least get the name right!

Last edited:
Jesus H. Christ....4 replies to one three line posting?

I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

You don't have to take it personally (not that you necessarily did, I don't know).

Last edited:
duplicate post.

Last edited:
Anyone have any interesting dispensing story to share?

Last edited:
Hi folks

Anyone know or care to make an educated guess on what's the most widely read/circulated eye-care industry publication in the world?

Last edited:
2qd09l4.jpg

They are taking this wayy too far! ;)

Ophthalmologists and Optometrists – What’s the Difference?
http://www.accessdoconline.com/odrich/insights/diff_opth_opt.html
"It is very likely that this will result in inappropriate care, missed diagnoses, and potentially even deaths due to prescribing errors on the part of newly empowered optometrists.".

make this a dull forum.

Discuss. +pity+

Ironic that you should say that they are "just trying to say that they teach, or have taught student clinicians in the clinic at UW." If that's the case, why don't they just say that? They can say they act as clinic supervisors in the UW clinic.

But apparently that's not good enough, so they call themselves part-time professors and what not.

Hey qwopty99,
are you even a real OD? why don't you worry about improving your own biography than ragging on others who are clearly more intelligent that you are. You are nor never will be a professor of any kind since you spend all your time writing on message boards complaining about accomplished doctors.
You are the most pathetic person i have come across in a while.. do something worthwhile with your time and stop being so jealous of others.
In other words, get a ****ing life you cock sucking piece of ****...

Hey qwopty99,
are you even a real OD? why don't you worry about improving your own biography than ragging on others who are clearly more intelligent that you are. You are nor never will be a professor of any kind since you spend all your time writing on message boards complaining about accomplished doctors.
You are the most pathetic person i have come across in a while.. do something worthwhile with your time and stop being so jealous of others.
In other words, get a ****ing life you cock sucking piece of ****...

Potty mouth, potty mouth.

I HATE that stuff... what the hell, why do people think that's even a remotely good idea? SO stupid. I also saw one thing that was a contact lens but there was a piece of jewelry hanging from it. I have no idea how that would even work (the weight of the jewel would surely pull it out) and how would you BLINK? What ARE these people thinking?!

the tattoo artists that have been doing these should be ashamed of themselves...... a big blue blob? Where's the art in that? At least I would be able to dye the entire conjunctiva:rolleyes:

This is what that guys eye looked like a few day following...
200707041317-pix1.jpg

umm...

Last edited:
Hey, I'm sorry I trashed your cheap bio. But you're the one who put it online for the world to see.

I stand by my opinions.

Regrettably i am not the author of any of the bios you trashed nor am i an optometrist, i was just defending those doctors whom you were complaining about, but i find it amusing that you think so...

Last edited:
well?

Last edited:
What happened to the reputation stuff? Or is it all gone? One-day experiment gone bad?

There was all that "advertising" in the headers saying after much deliberation and everyone requesting it, the forums were changed BACK to reputation feedback.

But now I see my post count...

What happened to the reputation stuff? Or is it all gone? One-day experiment gone bad?

There was all that "advertising" in the headers saying after much deliberation and everyone requesting it, the forums were changed BACK to reputation feedback.

But now I see my post count...

It was an April Fool's joke. Back in the day, SDN tried out the karma points thing, and it didn't go so well. They brought it back for the day only.

It was an April Fool's joke. Back in the day, SDN tried out the karma points thing, and it didn't go so well. They brought it back for the day only.

LOL! :thumbup:

I think I can see "why" karma points wouldn't work so well here...

Last edited:
What is the meaning of the clickable option,

"Also search in child forums" ?

Perhaps a mod can reply.

Always wondered about this...

I can make a "guess" as to why there is no chiropractic forum (my guess would be that SDN has taken a specific position on the medical nature of chiropractic), but I thought I'd ask.

Perhaps a mod can reply.

Always wondered about this...

I can make a "guess" as to why there is no chiropractic forum (my guess would be that SDN has taken a specific position on the medical nature of chiropractic), but I thought I'd ask.

Not sure why.

Here is the link the the "Contact SDN" page. An admin there may be able to answer your question.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/contact-us/

And I'm not sure what you are talking about in regards to the "search the child forum" comment. I couldn't get anything like that to come up. SDN does have a high school forum now, so perhaps that's what you are seeing?

Not sure why.

Here is the link the the "Contact SDN" page. An admin there may be able to answer your question.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/contact-us/

And I'm not sure what you are talking about in regards to the "search the child forum" comment. I couldn't get anything like that to come up. SDN does have a high school forum now, so perhaps that's what you are seeing?

On the search page under the selection box of which forum you wish to search under there is a small check box that says "also search in child forums"

Child forum = sub forum.

For example, under the Optometry Forum umbrella, there are 4 sub (child) forums.

1) Optometry
2) Pre Optometry
3) OAT discussions
4) NBEO discussions

Child forums = sub forums.

LOL.

Had me wondering for the longest time.