The MPH- HPM v/s MHA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulMHA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!
I know this is a question very commonly asked on the forum, but it would be great if you guys could help me out with this decision.
So I got into the MHA at Pitt and the MPH Health Policy and Management at Boston University ( Healthcare Management Specialization -- will show up on my transcript ).
The program at BU isn't CAHME accredited which to me seems to be the only drawback.
I have received a 12000$ merit award at BU, can complete the coursework in 3 semesters, as opposed to 4 at Pitt, which also means that I am paying tuition for one less semester, and BU overall is a great school with a great alumni network (or so I believe).
The programs at both schools are comparable, another reason why I feel I wont have much to lose even without the accreditation. I guess I just need you guys to tell me if I am on the right track here, or there is something I am missing.
I am hoping for a career in health care consulting, or working in quality improvement and patient safety in a hospital/ healthcare facility. Any difference in opportunities for these areas thru the MPH and MHA?

P.S : I am currently studying my Bachelor of Engineering in Biotechnology in India, in case that helps you in any way.

Members don't see this ad.

For what you want to do, I don't think there's much difference between MPH and MHA. But most people who want to strictly do hospital administration go for the MHA. I'm not informed about BU's program or the local market there, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. But first I would not go for a program that is not CAHME-accredited. Secondly, I would definitely not go for an MPH health management program that is not CAHME-accredited.

For what you want to do, I don't think there's much difference between MPH and MHA. But most people who want to strictly do hospital administration go for the MHA. I'm not informed about BU's program or the local market there, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. But first I would not go for a program that is not CAHME-accredited. Secondly, I would definitely not go for an MPH health management program that is not CAHME-accredited.

Isn't CAHME accreditation mostly only important if you want to go into hospital administration specifically?

EDIT: for reference, I did a little research, and most top schools of public health do not have MPH programs in health management and policy that are CAHME accredited. Harvard, Johns Hopkins, UNC, Emory, UWashington, UC Berkeley, UMinnesota, BU, Yale... None of them have an MPH in HPM that is CAHME accredited, though some of them offer a CAHME accredited MHA. In fact, the only ones that really seem to have CAHME accreditation for the MPH are UCLA, Columbia, and Michigan. As such, I think saying you should never go to a non-CAHME accredited MPH in HPM is a bit alarmist... If that were true, the vast majority of the MPH HPM grads in the country would be in trouble. If you know you specifically want to do hospital admin, then yes, CAHME accreditation might matter, but if you know you specifically want to do hospital admin, you should probably just go MHA in the first place.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Isn't CAHME accreditation mostly only important if you want to go into hospital administration specifically?

EDIT: for reference, I did a little research, and most top schools of public health do not have MPH programs in health management and policy that are CAHME accredited. Harvard, Johns Hopkins, UNC, Emory, UWashington, UC Berkeley, UMinnesota, BU, Yale... None of them have an MPH in HPM that is CAHME accredited, though some of them offer a CAHME accredited MHA. In fact, the only ones that really seem to have CAHME accreditation for the MPH are UCLA, Columbia, and Michigan. As such, I think saying you should never go to a non-CAHME accredited MPH in HPM is a bit alarmist... If that were true, the vast majority of the MPH HPM grads in the country would be in trouble. If you know you specifically want to do hospital admin, then yes, CAHME accreditation might matter, but if you know you specifically want to do hospital admin, you should probably just go MHA in the first place.

So what I am getting from this is that Hospital Administration definitely needs an MHA, but this shouldn't be the case for Healthcare Consulting, correct?

Edit: Also I had emailed the program coordinator at BU with a few questions, and she replied yesterday that BU's MPH HPM is already a candidate for CAHME accreditation. Any idea how long it takes for the accreditation?

So what I am getting from this is that Hospital Administration definitely needs an MHA, but this shouldn't be the case for Healthcare Consulting, correct?

Edit: Also I had emailed the program coordinator at BU with a few questions, and she replied yesterday that BU's MPH HPM is already a candidate for CAHME accreditation. Any idea how long it takes for the accreditation?

No, you do not need a MHA for hospital administration. A MPH in HCM will "suffice". Same goes for healthcare consulting. You may have a harder time breaking into healthcare consulting, and consulting in general, coming from those (MHA, MPH) programs as most consulting firms recruit at selective schools. If you applied to the MBA in HCM at BU you would have a much better chance at firms like Deloitte and PwC.

I thought it would be a good idea to bump an old thread rather than make my own. Does anyone have any new insight on this?

I am having a difficult time deciding between Emory's Health Policy & Management program and UIC's MHA. I am most concerned with financing my degree and prospects after graduation, just like everyone else. Both schools are pricey; both have a huge metropolitan network.

Emory pros: much, much, much bigger name, 3 semesters, lower cost of living.

UIC pros: might be a more appropriate degree for healthcare consult/admin which is what I think I may want to pursue, closer to "home", though I am not from Illinois.

Is anyone else facing a similar decision? I'd appreciate any advice! PM me please.

I'm an MD with residency training in a top specialty. I'm interested in a career in healthcare management/physician leadership. Which degree would offer me more opportunities: MPH with HCM vs MHA?