The Myth of Improving a GPA.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im confused as well....
So, my undergrad is like this
-2000-2004 (B.S im computer science)

-took 3 years off

-January2007 - may2009 (informal post-bacc at local university),

are you saying Im going to get 2 seperate columns one from 2000-2004 and the other 2007-2009 ???

After your AMCAS has been verified, try to print out your application and you'll see that they calculate your GPA for you. They should have a space for undergraduate GPA and post-baccalaureate GPA, thus AMCAS breaks them up into 2 sections. This is also completely separate from graduate GPA, so as soon as you graduate with your first degree, your undergraduate GPA will NEVER change. Some schools may decide to mix together your undergraduate gpa and postbacc work, but that's really up to them.

Members don't see this ad.

After your AMCAS has been verified, try to print out your application and you'll see that they calculate your GPA for you. They should have a space for undergraduate GPA and post-baccalaureate GPA, thus AMCAS breaks them up into 2 sections. This is also completely separate from graduate GPA, so as soon as you graduate with your first degree, your undergraduate GPA will NEVER change. Some schools may decide to mix together your undergraduate gpa and postbacc work, but that's really up to them.

I hope someone else chimes in here, because this is not what I assumed based on everything I have read about the AMCAS GPA calculations - it is my understanding that all post bacc work done on the undergrad level is rolled into the cumulative undergrad GPA. Therefore I don't think post bacc GPA and undergrad GPA are separate (although I think that GPA by year is listed (showing yearly trends), and post bacc work falls under the "5th or post bacc year" or something like that).

I hope someone else chimes in here, because this is not what I assumed based on everything I have read about the AMCAS GPA calculations - it is my understanding that all post bacc work done on the undergrad level is rolled into the cumulative undergrad GPA. Therefore I don't think post bacc GPA and undergrad GPA are separate (although I think that GPA by year is listed (showing yearly trends), and post bacc work falls under the "5th or post bacc year" or something like that).

On the physical printout that AMCAS generates, it is listed separately. That's what I mean. I don't know whether schools themselves decide to format applicants' info differently when being processed through their systems or whatever... but I only know what I see.

With everything initially done by computer before actually reaching an adcom's desk, some adcom had to make the conscious decision to mix the two GPAs or keep them separate. That's why I say that it could vary from school to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the physical printout that AMCAS generates, it is listed separately. That's what I mean. I don't know whether schools themselves decide to format applicants' info differently when being processed through their systems or whatever... but I only know what I see.

With everything initially done by computer before actually reaching an adcom's desk, some adcom had to make the conscious decision to mix the two GPAs or keep them separate. That's why I say that it could vary from school to school.

I just looked at an AMCAS pdf on this subject, and there is no cumulative undergrad GPA calculated until after any post bacc courses have been included. So for any applicant with post bacc grades, those will be rolled into the cumulative undergrad GPA calculated by AMCAS - they are not separately reported. The cumulative overall GPA is further divided into BCPM and AO.

I just looked at an AMCAS pdf on this subject, and there is no cumulative undergrad GPA calculated until after any post bacc courses have been included. So for any applicant with post bacc grades, those will be rolled into the cumulative undergrad GPA calculated by AMCAS - they are not separately reported. The cumulative overall GPA is further divided into BCPM and AO.

Mmk. I was wrong then. It's been a while since I looked at mine.

I think the trend for GPA matters alot. I got accepted to med school with a 3.3 gpa. I did very poorly my first three semesters (played a sport in college), but I got my act together and was a dean's list student throughout the rest of my time.
Though my GPA is lower than whatever the national average, I think my consistent high gpa later on and positive trend showed that I was capable of doing well in med school and that I was committed to being a physician.
Don't get discouraged by OP's post, there are many people with less than 3.5 GPAs that get into med school, not everyone is a mature student when they're 18.

I think the trend for GPA matters alot. I got accepted to med school with a 3.3 gpa. I did very poorly my first three semesters (played a sport in college), but I got my act together and was a dean's list student throughout the rest of my time.
Though my GPA is lower than whatever the national average, I think my consistent high gpa later on and positive trend showed that I was capable of doing well in med school and that I was committed to being a physician.
Don't get discouraged by OP's post, there are many people with less than 3.5 GPAs that get into med school, not everyone is a mature student when they're 18.

Or 23... or 40.. or ever at all. :p