The new FSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BackTalk said:
Chiros already have a very hard time setting up practice. Thats why they make up the biggest group of student loan defaulters in the nation. If there were really a huge unmet demand for chiro then you wouldnt see so many of the chiro students defaulting.

I wouldn't deny this. But regardless of profession it is tough to start a business from scratch. Yes, we have the highest number of defaulters too.

The job situation for chiros is so dire that its not uncommon to see them advertising their services in flea markets or setting up spinal screening booths at the local WalMart.

True. I've seen many MD's being equally creative. I believe the local hospital likes to solicit Wal-Mart customers with their free blood pressure checks. I've even seen them do bone density screenings at Wal-Mart. We even have a doctor in town that is an orthopedic surgeon that does "dessert with the doc". The dude totally stole that idea from chiropractors :mad: . It's ok for us to do those things because it's expected, but MD's? Come on, I guess things are getting tough for you guys too. Anyway, the orthos whole spiel is how to avoid knee surgery but his whole business is knee surgery. Who is he trying to fool? That's just one guy; we have OB/GYNS doing it at the local pizza shop "natural hormone therapy". The hospital sets these things up all over town. Doing it in a flea market is a rather new approach, Maybe rooster and I will team up and try that. Hey rooster, I'll bring the chicken. :D

Now everybody knows thats humiliating for a so-called "doctor" who just spent 4 years in chiro school beyond college.

What are you knocking them for, there are providing a valuable service. :D

I've seen multiple chiros with a WalMart booth. Their sign says "free bucket of chicken for a spinal screening."

Now that's a new one LOL :laugh: . Did you get your free bucket of chicken? I bet you had your whole family lined up didn't you? I bet when you got home you called all your friends and told them to head up there too. We usually give you a six-pack of beer with a spinal exam. I think my method works better than the chicken.

There's no way in hell anybody would choose to do that.

You would if it got you 25 new patients every time you did it. I think when the local chiropractor does that in town and then rolls around in town in his Benzo, he could give a phuck what anyone thinks. Talk to the Rolex baby. :p

Like I said, the job environment for chiros is so bad that newly minted chiros MUST prostitute themselves at flea markets just to make any money at all.

I wonder if you can get like a free lamp or something with a spinal exam :thumbup: . Doesn't the hospital ***** themselves to physicians? Hell, the local one here in town wants to be my bitch if I send some scans their way. Hey, maybe rooster and I will try flea market thing. Hey rooster, you bring the chicken, I'll bring the beer.

The oversupply of chiros is also evidenced by the way chiro schools do clinical "training." Instead of the school having its own clinic that provides patients for chiro students, the vast majority of chiro schools REQUIRE that the students themselves bring in "new patients" to the clinic to graduate. Its absolutely scandalous.

That's right, because when you get out of college, the school isn't going to be there supplying you with patients. Unlike MD's, we don't get everything handed to us on a silver platter. Why don't you go talk to some dental students and see how bad they have it. In fact, some will even pay bums off the street to come in as patients. I guess its tough but who cares when you make more than any other health profession and work three days a week. You gotta love that!

My point is that the quacks scamming people that SMT can treat those things is not a fringe view, its the mainstream.

What" things" are you talking about?

BackTalk and others of his ilk have continually asserted that only a small minority of chiros believes in that kind of quackery. :sleep:

That's right.

THe ACA website which is the largest chiro organization in the country is irrefutable proof that their assertions of quackery as a fringe group of chiro is outright FALSE.

There are probably 65000-70000 chiropractors in the US. Do you know how many belong to the ACA? I bet less than half. I would be interested in knowing.

Backtalk-
You're cracking me up!!!!
Maybe after our "chicken dinner" we can have "dessert with the doc"!
Which sounds better?- hip replacement dessert? or maybe the gastric bypass dessert. Then again, maybe the laser eye surgery dessert-----------Too many choices! :laugh:

We had better not tell Mcgyver that there are DCs teaching in med schools, :eek: (T. Yochum- 13 years now) he may throw a clot!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have no doubt that there are a few DCs who have PhDs or MDs who have "seen the error of their ways".

I also have no doubt that NONE of these DC/PhD/MD types are teaching BS subluxation theory that the CCE uses as standard curriculum.

I also have no doubt that NONE of these DC/PhD/MD types are teaching med students ANYTHING about the quackery that is evident on the ACA website (i.e. SMT treats osteoporosis, etc).

So let me get this straight...

The only SYMPTOM Chiropractic has been proven effective in treating is lower back pain.

So now we need a publicly funded Chiropractic school? How do you justify that this is a good investment in the public's interest? Is there really that much lower back pain in Florida?

Is there some underreported epidemic of lower back pain costing the state of Florida enough money to justify publicly funding a Chiropractic school? Somehow I really do not think so.

Members don't see this ad :)
ramblin_med said:
So let me get this straight...

The only SYMPTOM Chiropractic has been proven effective in treating is lower back pain.

So now we need a publicly funded Chiropractic school? How do you justify that this is a good investment in the public's interest? Is there really that much lower back pain in Florida?

Is there some underreported epidemic of lower back pain costing the state of Florida enough money to justify publicly funding a Chiropractic school? Somehow I really do not think so.

Of course the answer to all your questions is NO. The chiro cronies know that they cant justify it based onthose grounds. Therefore they pull out the race card, saying that minorities are being denied a chiro eductation and therefore a publicly funded program has to step in. Its all smoke and mirrors of course. I wonder if the chiro cronies who hatched this plot in the back of their strip mall clinic were able to keep a straight face while discussing their plot.

MedNole said:
All of your responses reference the MGT report without citing any specific areas of it. I've read a lot of the MGT report, and I doubt you have. Please point me to the specific location where it says that there is currently a need for more chiropractors in Florida....you will not find it.

As for all the other points, I think your arguments are extremely weak, and they don't merit me wasting my time refuting them. I guess we'll just let the other readers decide who is more convincing.

ROOSTER is by far more convincing. The basis of this debate is whether chiropractic is a ligit profession and with the help of many studies on LBP and chiropractic it had proven such.

MacGyver said:
I have no doubt that there are a few DCs who have PhDs or MDs who have "seen the error of their ways".

I also have no doubt that NONE of these DC/PhD/MD types are teaching BS subluxation theory that the CCE uses as standard curriculum.

I also have no doubt that NONE of these DC/PhD/MD types are teaching med students ANYTHING about the quackery that is evident on the ACA website (i.e. SMT treats osteoporosis, etc).

A little bit on Terry Yochum, DC:

Recognized as an outstanding teacher, Dr. Yochum was invited to lecture at the University of Colorado's School of Medicine, Department of Radiology. Dr. Michael Manco-Johnson put his reputation on the line and lobbied for Dr. Yochum to be appointed to a position on the staff at the medical school, teaching medical radiology residents skeletal radiology. The Yochum edge cut through the medical prejudices, and in his 13 years of teaching, the students have elected him "Outstanding Teacher of the Year" eight times.

In July 2004, the third edition of a textbook that is required reading for all chiropractic students worldwide and for students in more than 100 medical colleges was published. The book is The Essentials of Skeletal Radiology (third edition, 2004; Lippincott Williams & Wilkins). One of the authors of that book is Terry Yochum, DC, who co-wrote the text with Lindsay J. Rowe, DC, MD, DAC, DACBR. (Dr. Yochum, DC established the department of radiology and a full-time residency program at the International College of Chiropractic in Melbourne Austalia. It was this residency program that produced Dr. Lindsay Rowe (his co-author) and four other radiology residents, Drs. Gary Guebert, Jeffrey Thompson, Michael Montileone and Tom Molyneux.)

While most medical texts sell less than 5,000 copies in a lifetime, Essentials sold out the first printing of 5,000 copies in three weeks - a record yet to be surpassed by any book published by now Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. It was printed six more times in the first year. All told, the 1st edition sold more than 45,000 copies and the 2nd edition has sold over 30,000 copies, making this one of the most widely sold textbooks ever to be published in chiropractic (and also in medicine).

If you want any further verification that he is DC ONLY...... has NO PhD, MD, ......... look it up yourself. It is getting tiresome to have to do your homework for you.

and BTW: There are many more(hundreds) than a "few" DCs that have Phds and MDs.
And Many MDs also teach in DC schools.
Where are you getting your information- or more aptly, lack of information, or more aptly yet- MISinformation?

jesse14 said:
ROOSTER is by far more convincing. The basis of this debate is whether chiropractic is a ligit profession and with the help of many studies on LBP and chiropractic it had proven such.

LOL, this has nothing to do with justifying whether or not chiropractic is a "ligit" profession. Please, read the thread over again, because I never made any such argument. It has to do with whether or not FSU should risk its reputation on a chiropractic school. Or whether or not the state should spend taxpayer money on a an unnecessary chiropractic school. I'm STILL waiting for ANY justification for a chiropractic school at FSU. Does ANYONE have ANY reason why the state should spend money on a chiropractic school when the state does not need chiropractors?

In a previous post, Mednole opines:

4. If chiropractic research is so profitable, then why isn't any other university trying to open a chiropractic college?

If you had read the MGT report(as you assert) you would know that:

"One Canadian and one American institution are university based, with the

other Canadian college currently undergoing a merger with a provincial university.

Chiropractic colleges are also established in Japan, New Zealand, Australia, the United

Kingdom, Denmark, and South Africa, with most of them university based. "( MGT Dec 15, 2000)

MedNole said:
LOL, this has nothing to do with justifying whether or not chiropractic is a "ligit" profession. Please, read the thread over again, because I never made any such argument. It has to do with whether or not FSU should risk its reputation on a chiropractic school. Or whether or not the state should spend taxpayer money on a an unnecessary chiropractic school. I'm STILL waiting for ANY justification for a chiropractic school at FSU. Does ANYONE have ANY reason why the state should spend money on a chiropractic school when the state does not need chiropractors?

It has to do with whether or not FSU should risk its reputation on a chiropractic school

I understand the purpose and debate of this post but i have a question. Why would FSU be risking its reputation if they open a chiro school? Just because some profs threaten to leave the school if the chiro school opens doesn't mean it's bad. It just reminds me of a baby crying over not getting what they want (or in this case getting something they don't want). MY statement on the effectiveness of chiropractic was said to prove a point. Why should something that helps so many be refunded as reputation risker? What if FSU opened lets say, a podiatry school? They to provide a great service.......would this be considered a risk to FSU's reputation too? I'm just trying to say that chiropractic is a great service and that by no means should it be considered a "risk" to any schools reputation. Believe me, i have experience with this. I go to York University in Toronto. Yes, the same university that the Canadian memorial Chiropractic College tried to merge with a few years back. York was too scared to be an innovator on health education. They too were compliant with following the rest if the academia pack. I fought for that too, but to no regard. All I want is for FSU to be an innovator, not a follower.

Mednole-

I have, REPEATEDLY, cited references and links that address your "question", yet you ignore them and keep repeating your "question"(?). This is getting very tiresome, and I am seriously questioning the genuinous of your "question"........but ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I trust that future replies will contain substance and references, to support your position.

>>> It has to do with whether or not FSU should risk its reputation on a chiropractic school.

What is the "reputation" you are "risking"?

>>> Or whether or not the state should spend taxpayer money...

-3.5 million "taxpayers" seek chiropractic treatment each year. As" taxpayers" should their tax dollars go only to the medical parqadigm? What justification do YOU have, that their tax dollars should not explore and investigate those therapies that are providing them resolution/relief of their afflicitions? As for MSK afflictions alone, -- how many have died as a result of prescribed Vioxx(most commonly Rx"ed pain med) especially in light of the fact that when efficacious chiropractic care SHOULD have been the choice? This is particularily crucial in Florida, known for it's high elder population, that is already at high risk for CVD . This same population is already extrordinarlily high on RXs for other conditions, and adding another unecessary RX is not only careless, and dangerous, it is outright malicious.

>>> on a an unnecessary chiropractic school.

---"unecessary"? In whose opinion? What are those opinions based on?

>>>I'm STILL waiting for ANY justification for a chiropractic school at FSU.

---I have already provided you with more than ample justfication and backed it up with data. Maybe you should read it before posting further.

Perhaps you may find it enlightening to read the following the following:

["Barriers in Associations

AAMC may also not be too enthusiastic about some new medical schools, could they be influenced by existing schools and deans? see Need It or Not, Florida Gets a New Medical School http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporter/july2000/florida.htm from the article:

When the charter class of medical students enters Florida State University's new School of Medicine in 2001, it will mark the first time a new medical school has opened in the state in 30 years. FSU will also be the first new U.S. allopathic medical school in nearly 20 years; Mercer University School of Medicine graduated its charter class in 1986.

The new medical school will have no affiliated teaching hospital. Instead, students will receive much of their practical patient care experience in nursing homes and rural clinics, with an eye toward serving the school's stated mission of expanding Florida's population of primary care physicians and improving geriatric care. And university officials maintain that without the expense of a hospital, they can operate the school on an annual budget of $34 million, one-eighth of rival University of Florida College of Medicine's total operating budget. The FSU plan is built on the Michigan State model and was designed by MSU Professor Emeritus Tom Johnson. (The one who has an AAFP educator award named after him. He also lost out as dean to Joe Scherger even though favored by FSU leadership)

Why a new medical school in Florida now? That's the question many inside and outside the state are asking. Backers of the plan-including Florida House Speaker John Thrasher (R), an FSU alumnus who championed the deal that created the new medical school in the state legislature-argue that the $50 million-plus medical school project is merited because rural areas of the state need more doctors and elderly Floridians, in particular, are underserved.

"Believe me, we do not have access to the same quality of health care in our areas that many of you do," state Rep. Dwight Stansel (D) told the Florida House Health Care Services Committee in March. Stansel's district includes five of the 13 counties identified as "underserved." Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R) also supports the plan.

Many others, however, including members of FSU's Board of Regents, attribute the decision to politics, saying there's no need for a new medical school and no shortage of physicians in Florida. "In 1975, Florida had 185 physicians per 100,000 people," says Robert Watson, M.D., senior associate dean for Educational Affairs at the University of Florida College of Medicine and chair-elect of the AAMC's Group on Educational Affairs. "As of 1998, according to AMA statistics, the proportion had reached 283 physicians per 100,000 people. I don't quite see how there's a shortage." The deans of all three existing allopathic medical schools in Florida-the University of Florida, the University of South Florida, and the University of Miami-have publicly expressed skepticism about the FSU plan.

A study conducted for FSU by consulting company MGT of America found different numbers: 210 physicians per 10,000 people, below the national average of 224. Why the big difference? MGT used a calculation known as "age-weighting," counting every Florida resident aged 65 or older at least twice in order to reflect the disproportionate impact older people have on the health care system. FSU Provost Larry Abele calls that "a legitimate calculation," while the St. Petersburg Times calls it "a convenient calculation."

Even if the MGT figures are correct, medical educators point out that simply because a medical student trains in a rural area doesn't mean she will practice there. "The AAMC and several other organizations have shown fairly clearly that there are very few things schools can do to target graduates to practice primary care in rural, underserved areas," says Dr. Watson. "The fact of the matter is that schools that have an explicit, stated goal of producing primary care physicians are very fortunate if 35 percent of their graduates actually end up practicing primary care. And most of those don't end up practicing in rural areas."

Perhaps Dr. Watson should actually read the FSU reports that helped them get started, as well as articles in JAMA, NEJM, and other locations that document that we can select, train, and locate physicians in rural and underserved areas and admissions are the key. See below

FSU's Abele predicts that the new medical school will beat traditional expectations through recruitment strategies. "Studies show that if you recruit students from rural and inner-city areas, they are more likely to return to those areas and practice," he told the St. Petersburg Times. The Program in Medical Sciences (PIMS) at FSU, which provides the first year of medical school to about 30 students who complete their remaining three years at the University of Florida, does appear to steer slightly more of its graduates to primary care than students who complete the full four years at UF: 50 percent of PIMS grads choose primary care residencies, while 46 percent of other UF graduates opt for primary care.

Members of FSU's Board of Regents have said that the better, cheaper way to address a physician shortage in rural areas is through expanding programs and enrollment at the state's existing medical schools. But the Regents won't have much to say about the matter for long-during the same session in which it created the medical school, the state legislature voted to abolish the Board of Regents. - Gina Shaw"]

---What is the "reputation" you are "risking"?
The reputation of being a major research university based in science. Why would over 500 faculty members sign a petition opposing the chiropractic school if they thought it would be good for the university? Why would the Graduate Policy Committee vote 22-0 against the chiropractic school if they thought it would be a good thing for FSU? Why are there ZERO state-run chiropractic schools in North America? Do you honestly believe that a chiropractic school won't hurt FSU's reputation among academics and in university rankings? You've yet to address this issue of FSU's reputation being harmed by a chiropractic school. I'm under the impression that you don't care about it, which is fine for someone not associated with the school. However, nobody wants a chiropractic school at their alma mater. Check out warchant.com for FSU alumni reaction to the chiro school.

---"3.5 million "taxpayers" seek chiropractic treatment each year. As" taxpayers" should their tax dollars go only to the medical parqadigm? What justification do YOU have, that their tax dollars should not explore and investigate those therapies that are providing them resolution/relief of their afflicitions? As for MSK afflictions alone, -- how many have died as a result of prescribed Vioxx(most commonly Rx"ed pain med) especially in light of the fact that when efficacious chiropractic care SHOULD have been the choice? This is particularily crucial in Florida, known for it's high elder population, that is already at high risk for CVD . This same population is already extrordinarlily high on RXs for other conditions, and adding another unecessary RX is not only careless, and dangerous, it is outright malicious."

This STILL doesn't justify a new chiropractic school. You can make the case for more chiropractic research, but why should there be a new chiropractic program at FSU?? We both know the answer to this. Chiropractors are using their political influence to try to legitimize the profession. Honestly, I don't blame them for trying, but it's an embarrassment to the school....and you can't deny that.

---"unecessary"? In whose opinion? What are those opinions based on?

It is unnecessary based on the findings of the MGT report and the Board of Governor's staff report. Both reports state that Florida has more chiropractors than the average state, and the BOG report says that the current supply of graduates is more than enough to serve the chiropractic needs of Florida. It's unnecessary in the opinion of FSU faculty and alumni, who don't want the school.
http://www.fldoe.org/bog/meetings/2005_01_27/Chiro_Item.pdf

---I have already provided you with more than ample justfication and backed it up with data. Maybe you should read it before posting further.

I must have missed the part where you explain why a state that DOES NOT NEED CHIROPRACTORS should use taxpayer money to establish the first state-fun program to GRADUATE MORE CHIROPRACTORS. All you have provided is a link to the MGT report (which you clearly haven't even read) and a list of chiropractic research projects. None of what you have provided has justified spending $9 million/year in state money plus $63 million in start up costs to glut the market with more chiropractors. The state would be better off providing 450 scholarships annually for students to attend existing chiropractic schools, which is mentioned in the BOG staff report. How does the state benefit by spending $9 million per year on a program that nobody wants (except the chiropractic lobby)? Wouldn't other schools with existing physical therapy and CAM schools be a better place than FSU? Why not push for a chiro school at YOUR alma mater...leave FSU alone, because nobody here wants it.

jesse14 said:
It has to do with whether or not FSU should risk its reputation on a chiropractic school

I understand the purpose and debate of this post but i have a question. Why would FSU be risking its reputation if they open a chiro school? Just because some profs threaten to leave the school if the chiro school opens doesn't mean it's bad. It just reminds me of a baby crying over not getting what they want (or in this case getting something they don't want). MY statement on the effectiveness of chiropractic was said to prove a point. Why should something that helps so many be refunded as reputation risker? What if FSU opened lets say, a podiatry school? They to provide a great service.......would this be considered a risk to FSU's reputation too? I'm just trying to say that chiropractic is a great service and that by no means should it be considered a "risk" to any schools reputation. Believe me, i have experience with this. I go to York University in Toronto. Yes, the same university that the Canadian memorial Chiropractic College tried to merge with a few years back. York was too scared to be an innovator on health education. They too were compliant with following the rest if the academia pack. I fought for that too, but to no regard. All I want is for FSU to be an innovator, not a follower.

It's not just "a few" professors who oppose the school. To date, over 500 faculty members have signed a petition opposing the school, including both of FSU's Nobel laureates and Dr. Robert Holton (the inventor of Taxol). Also, the Graduate Committee on Policy Education voted 22-0 not to move forward with a chiro program at FSU...clearly the faculty do NOT want a chiropractic school.

rooster said:
In a previous post, Mednole opines:

4. If chiropractic research is so profitable, then why isn't any other university trying to open a chiropractic college?

If you had read the MGT report(as you assert) you would know that:

"One Canadian and one American institution are university based, with the

other Canadian college currently undergoing a merger with a provincial university.

Chiropractic colleges are also established in Japan, New Zealand, Australia, the United

Kingdom, Denmark, and South Africa, with most of them university based. "( MGT Dec 15, 2000)

That was in 2000. Where are the results? What U.S. universities opened a chiropractic college in the past four years? Also, according to your passage above, how did the "Canadian college currently undergoing a merger with a provincial university" work out? (aka York University)

Members don't see this ad :)
Good news boys and girls!

The florida board of governors voted to reject the chiro school. Looks like the quacks will have to try another state, as the BOG has control over all public universities in florida.

ding dong the witch is dead!

"We still have a bill in front of us," said Jack Hebert, director of governmental relations for the Florida Chiropractic Association, which represents about 3,800 practitioners in this state. "It doesn't just go away."

She may have lost her broom, but she's not dead yet....

devildoc2 said:
Good news boys and girls!

The florida board of governors voted to reject the chiro school. Looks like the quacks will have to try another state, as the BOG has control over all public universities in florida.

ding dong the witch is dead!

After reading a good deal of this thread, and on the course to being an MD, it scares me that the MD students that have posted in this thread are planning on calling themselves physicians.

Do what works for your patient. If it is chinese herbs, if it is shamen, if it is chiropractic, if it is manipulation by a DO, if it is hanging by your toes.. do what is in the best interest of the patient. Just because you do not believe something works, or do not know enough about it to warrant posting your opinion on the subject (many of your should have abstained on this subject) this does not give you the right to completely discredit another profession. And yes folks, DCs are just that... PROFESSIONALS. So suck it up and deal with it. We are all working TOGETHER for the betterment of our patients. Put aside your own beliefs and learn about what is out there. You don't have to believe in it, but you need to learn tolerance, acceptance and how to have an open mind.

Frankly, I am ashamed to be entering the work force with such a close minded population.

BackTalk said:
Its funny how everyone is opposed to this yet continues say chiropractic is unscientific, the education is substandard, and the research is a joke blah blah blah. Well here is an opportunity for chiropractic to be cleaned up yet so many are against it. Really, what are you afraid of? Are you afraid chiropractic might earn the respect it deserves?

Chiropractic research is an oxymoron-there is nothing to research and chiropractors are not interested in legitimate research. Doing so would potentially threaten their belief system.

twiceadoc said:
Chiropractic research is an oxymoron-there is nothing to research and chiropractors are not interested in legitimate research. Doing so would potentially threaten their belief system.

Good chiropractors like good medical doctors are interested in legitimate research. If chiropractors were worried about potential research threatening their belief system, they would have been opposed to the school.

BackTalk said:
Good chiropractors like good medical doctors are interested in legitimate research. If chiropractors were worried about potential research threatening their belief system, they would have been opposed to the school.

They are interested in the school as a means of legitimizing their marginal position. To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever proven the tennents of chiropractic (in all fairness, these have never been blatently disproven either, saving perhaps Krelin). The matter is complicated by the fact that chiropractors can't agree amongst themselves what they are or what they do. You know as well as I that there has always been and will always be a fringe of chiros who can't get on board with anything that they feel encroaches their 'philosophy'.

I suspect that there is something useful in SMT, but I firmly believe that most chiros are out in left field about it. They are too emotionally and spiritually invested in the 'big picture' to be able to deal with the potential truth. Meaningful research may disprove, invalidate their place in life. So it is safer for them to invest in 'philsophy', which they can meld and conform to their needs and observations.

Anyways, being associated with a public school no doubt adds an aire of legitimacy, but it is false in this case. Chiros have had over 100 years to prove something about what they do, and they haven't. They have demonstrated some positive clinical outcomes, but no clear mechanism or rationale has ever been established (to my knowledge).

As a larger issue, a profession which contains a significant fraction of practioners who refuse to 'diagnose' should not be elevated to the level of 'physician'. To do so is misleading to the public and irresponsible.

twiceadoc said:
They have demonstrated some positive clinical outcomes, but no clear mechanism or rationale has ever been established (to my knowledge).

Well, you just opened yourself up for Backtalk or Rooster to use their infinite ability to dance around the issue at hand. "Well, clearly you DON'T know anything about that the miracle that is chiropractic". Don't give these guys an inch...

Flobber said:
Well, you just opened yourself up for Backtalk or Rooster to use their infinite ability to dance around the issue at hand. "Well, clearly you DON'T know anything about that the miracle that is chiropractic". Don't give these guys an inch...

That's a funny line to end with because I remember seeing this special on how chiropractors and osteopaths only need to move ____ (joint, bone, humor, chi, whatever) much less than an inch to achieve the desired clinical effects...

Flobber said:

The 'chiro dance' is at the heart of the matter here-at every challenge there is a 'philosophical ho-down' to avoid real dialogue and meaningful progress. Chiropractic was 'discovered' in 1895 and it's benefactors prefer that it stay there. That is the real shame-that chiros are unwilling or unable to 'put up or shut up', to put their precious belief system up for scrutiny, for fear that their straw man will be bashed to bits. This gaurded stance makes it impossible for any advancement, and will make any attempt to integrate chiros into mainstream healthcare fail miserably. The fact that the school in Florida has been nixed already has the chiro community crying 'bigotry' and 'discrimination', and not causing them to look closer at themselves for answers.

Then again, I don't know why I care so much-I don't have to deal with this issue any longer...

BackTalk,

you dont understand the law in Florida.

The florida state constitution says that the Board of Governors, NOT the state legislature has purview over new programs at state colleges and universities.

It doesnt matter how many bills the state legislature passes, ultimatey the BOG has full authority to decide if those bills are implemented.

So yes, chiro is dead in florida for the moment.

If you listened to the BOG meeting, you'd understand why they killed it. All 13 members rejected it as a porkbarrel project which is a waste of taxpayer dollars.

The motion on the floor was to kill the chiro project. 10 people voted for it, and 3 people voted against it. The 3 people who voted against it did so ONLY because they wanted the florida state board of trustees to vote on it first before the BOG considered it. All 3 people who voted NO said that they dont feel FSU needed a chiro school and that taxpayer dollars are better spent on other items.

you guys would also be interested to note that there was one group of chiros at the BOG meeting who spoke and said they opposed the school.

Of course these were straigth chiro quacks. They wanted the project killed because of rumors that FSU would not teach teh "subluxation" model of disease.

Never mind that any school which doesnt teach subluxation would have a very difficult time getting accredited by the CCE. Subluxation is a specific part of the curriculum that the CCE mandates.

Not to add fuel to the dying embers of a fire, especially since the issue has already been decided, but I came across a very intersting article from the World Chiropractic Alliance that was strongly against the idea of a Chiropractic College at FSU. See: http://www.worldchiropracticalliance.org/tcj/2005/feb/rondberg.htm

A great quote from the article,
"First, we must safeguard our unique identity as non-medical, subluxation-centered wellness providers. We can't merely be one of a slew of practitioners offering spinal manipulation for neuromusculoskeletal disorders. Subluxation correction is the one thing we do that no one else does, and this will be the key to bringing patients into our office and helping them lead healthier lives without drugs and surgery."​

- H

Good quote. It shows how screwed up our profession is and shows how divided it is. Every time someone attempts to legitimize the profession, we have the quacks show up.

They have their own condition in which they are the only ones trained to correct....how convenient.

The problem with chiropractic is that we can’t agree on what a subluxation is. If you look at it as an area of joint dysfunction and leave it at that, then I think we wouldn’t have such a problem in our profession and with others. It’s when they mention nerve interference we have a problem. The thing is, they can’t prove that this area of joint dysfunction actually causes nerve interference and adjusting the spine removes this interference, which increases heath and or wellness. It sounds like a logical concept; all I ask is for them to prove it.

We do know that if a patient has a herniated disc and that disc is compressing a nerve, it’s only a matter of time before the muscles supplied by the nerve begin to lose tone and strength. So if we remove the pressure from the nerve, whether by manipulation or surgically, the muscles will once again begin to function normally. So in that sense, aren’t we removing nerve interference? What do you think of this?

BackTalk said:
Good quote. It shows how screwed up our profession is and shows how divided it is. Every time someone attempts to legitimize the profession, we have the quacks show up.

They have their own condition in which they are the only ones trained to correct....how convenient.

The problem with chiropractic is that we can’t agree on what a subluxation is. If you look at it as an area of joint dysfunction and leave it at that, then I think we wouldn’t have such a problem in our profession and with others. It’s when they mention nerve interference we have a problem. The thing is, they can’t prove that this area of joint dysfunction actually causes nerve interference and adjusting the spine removes this interference, which increases heath and or wellness. It sounds like a logical concept; all I ask is for them to prove it.

We do know that if a patient has a herniated disc and that disc is compressing a nerve, it’s only a matter of time before the muscles supplied by the nerve begin to lose tone and strength. So if we remove the pressure from the nerve, whether by manipulation or surgically, the muscles will once again begin to function normally. So in that sense, aren’t we removing nerve interference? What do you think of this?

I think that your quote is equatable to a supporter of cranial osteopathy saying: "If someone smashes a person's skull in with a hammer, it affects the brain. If the skull is fixed, then the person may survive. Isn't manipulation of the cranial bones along the same lines, of correcting the skull to enhance the health of the brain?".

Give up. There is no such thing as a subluxation. You are a massage therapist with a more thorough knowledge of anatomy and physiology.

Flobber said:
I think that your quote is equatable to a supporter of cranial osteopathy saying: "If someone smashes a person's skull in with a hammer, it affects the brain. If the skull is fixed, then the person may survive. Isn't manipulation of the cranial bones along the same lines, of correcting the skull to enhance the health of the brain?".

Give up. There is no such thing as a subluxation. You are a massage therapist with a more thorough knowledge of anatomy and physiology.

Whatever jerkoff. If you have ever read any of my posts you would know I don’t support subluxation the way most chiropractors describe it, nor do I support cranial therapy. I was looking for a meaningful conversation on what others thought, not some bonehead prick trying to start a fight.

First off I would like to say that I am a chiro going back to med school for a lot of the reasons above. However, I think most of you overlook a certain aspect that is beneficial to the public. For instance, the fact that I found a malignancy in a patient way before any MD or DO. Or that fact that sometimes a Chiro is the first place that a pt. shows up when you guys are playing golf. I have many colleagues that have caught fractures, Mets., Mult. Myeloma on an X-ray. Is this quackery? Tell that to the patients that were treated in time to save their lives. Of course the subluxation theory is B.S. But how bout growing up and noticing that some chiros provide a valuable service as a gateway provider that some of the public actually perceives value in. Not to mention that anything can be considered quackery, including prescribing accutane continually after it has been shown to cause suicidal tendencies and birth defects. Look in the mirror my friends, we are all guilty.

BMW-

MacGyver said:
you guys would also be interested to note that there was one group of chiros at the BOG meeting who spoke and said they opposed the school.

Of course these were straigth chiro quacks. They wanted the project killed because of rumors that FSU would not teach teh "subluxation" model of disease.

Never mind that any school which doesnt teach subluxation would have a very difficult time getting accredited by the CCE. Subluxation is a specific part of the curriculum that the CCE mandates.

No responses?

BMW19 said:
First off I would like to say that I am a chiro going back to med school for a lot of the reasons above. However, I think most of you overlook a certain aspect that is beneficial to the public. For instance, the fact that I found a malignancy in a patient way before any MD or DO. Or that fact that sometimes a Chiro is the first place that a pt. shows up when you guys are playing golf. I have many colleagues that have caught fractures, Mets., Mult. Myeloma on an X-ray. Is this quackery? Tell that to the patients that were treated in time to save their lives. Of course the subluxation theory is B.S. But how bout growing up and noticing that some chiros provide a valuable service as a gateway provider that some of the public actually perceives value in. Not to mention that anything can be considered quackery, including prescribing accutane continually after it has been shown to cause suicidal tendencies and birth defects. Look in the mirror my friends, we are all guilty.

BMW-

BMW19 said:
For instance, the fact that I found a malignancy in a patient way before any MD or DO. Or that fact that sometimes a Chiro is the first place that a pt. shows up when you guys are playing golf. I have many colleagues that have caught fractures, Mets., Mult. Myeloma on an X-ray. Is this quackery?

Most patients know they should see a doctor when they feel a mass. The point of self-exams is that people will easily find these masses if they just look.

Of course the subluxation theory is B.S. But how bout growing up and noticing that some chiros provide a valuable service as a gateway provider

Uh, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to say that "you should get that looked at" when something doesn't look quite right. This is why MOST patients come in. Perhaps there's a pre-selection of patients who go see chiros who don't realize they should get the grapefruit-sized bump checked out.

I might agree with you in the slightest, if what I found was a "mass". It so happens that I found it on an x-ray. In fact I would say that a good chiropractor can diagnose something on an x-ray (spinal x-rays) than a lot of GP's out there. I once put up a lateral thoracic view for a GP and he didn't even know what he was looking at.

tofurious said:
Most patients know they should see a doctor when they feel a mass. The point of self-exams is that people will easily find these masses if they just look.

Uh, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to say that "you should get that looked at" when something doesn't look quite right. This is why MOST patients come in. Perhaps there's a pre-selection of patients who go see chiros who don't realize they should get the grapefruit-sized bump checked out.

BMW19 said:
I might agree with you in the slightest, if what I found was a "mass". It so happens that I found it on an x-ray. In fact I would say that a good chiropractor can diagnose something on an x-ray (spinal x-rays) than a lot of GP's out there. I once put up a lateral thoracic view for a GP and he didn't even know what he was looking at.

Wow, anecdotal evidence to prove your point. The story of chiropractic research. :rolleyes:

A GP doesn't need to know what he's looking at---that's why we have Radiologists. A GP shouldn't be interpreting his/her own films without having them interpreted by a Radiologist as well. Anyhow, I know that you guys are trained in basic x-ray interpretation, so I would expect you to pick up that sort of thing when you take films.

But how bout growing up and noticing that some chiros provide a valuable service as a gateway provider that some of the public actually perceives value in

I agree with this statement.

I like your avatar, by the way :D

Fantasy Sports said:
Wow, anecdotal evidence to prove your point. The story of chiropractic research. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

What would you like me to do, send you the x-ray? All though these days I probably could.

How much evidence based research went into Vioxx and Celebrex? Accutane?

Pharm companies seem to like "research" and "evidence" when it benefits them, but some minor things conveniently are overlooked by them and the FDA.

Fantasy Sports said:

BMW19 said:
What would you like me to do, send you the x-ray? All though these days I probably could.

Pharm companies seem to like "research" and "evidence" when it benefits them, but some minor things conveniently are overlooked by them and the FDA.

No, I am no doubt disputing that this even happened. By EBM I mean your statement that "In fact I would say that a good chiropractor can diagnose something on an x-ray (spinal x-rays) than a lot of GP's out there. I once put up a lateral thoracic view for a GP and he didn't even know what he was looking at."

In other words, one anecdote (one GP who didnt read a radiograph and you did) has resulted in your conclusion that a "good chiro can diagnose something on an x-ray than a lot of GPs out there"

My joke isnt so funny now that I had to explain it though...

BMW19 said:

Uh, I think there is PLENTY of evidence for the EFFICACY of these drugs. The problems with these drugs are with the SIDE EFFECTS after a large number of patients (much larger than feasible for clinical trials) have been taking the drug. Chiro has no evidence for EFFICACY (except possibly for simple mechanical low back pain) so you can't possibly compare the two.