The New MSAR and other resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD2BN10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when the new MSAR is available and is it worth purchasing a copy? Also, do you know of any other helpful resources for students unsure of where they want to go to Med school? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I saw that site, but it only said that the new edition will be ready in the spring. I wanted to know if anyone had anymore information, because this is spring. Thanks to anyone else who can help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the MSAR worth purchasing? It's not just worth it, it is essential. I find the US News listings helpful also; it's not just rankings, but information similar to the MSAR, and more complete in some way (regarding application numbers, acceptance %s, etc)
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/medindex_brief.php

If you have $30, I suggest purchasing both. It's a good investment for anyone applying to medical school.

jrdnbenjamin said:

Don't be a smartass.

SandiegoSOD: good input.

The MSAR has general descriptions on practically every allopathic school in the US. It displays a bit about a med schools history, stats, entering class GPA/MCAT score, etc. Own a copy or borrow one for choosing those schools.

G'luck.

I agree with everyone else, the MSAR is essential. If you want to apply to state schools but are not a resident of that state, the MSAR gives you info on how many in-state/out-of-state students applied/interviewed/accepted. That will help you save a lot of money applying to schools where you have no chance of getting in.

well, if like me, you're on a budget, you could always go to your library and make copies of the schools you want. there are a lot of schools, and frankly, i can't think of anybody applying to all of tehm, or even looking at all of them. i for one plan on staying on the east coast, so a lot of the states, i'm not interested in. why waste my money? so i go to my library, take it from them, and make copies of the schools i'm interested in, as well as some pages from the beginning, put them in a binder, and voila, the important parts of the MSAR for under $5

jrdnbenjamin said:
Oh come on, I also gave some relevant information. ;)

Sorry, I was being a tad harsh myself. Good looking out bro.

MD2BN10 said:
Does anyone know when the new MSAR is available and is it worth purchasing a copy? Also, do you know of any other helpful resources for students unsure of where they want to go to Med school? Thanks.
In middle of May.I just talked to them.

Is there a BIG difference between the online MSAR and the MSAR book?

The MSAR isn't that important. I got by (and got in) without it. Besides, you can usually look up the schools' average numbers online. When that fails, just ask the people here and some know-it-all will be happy to tell you the exact average MCAT and GPA of whatever random school you might be interested in.

Seriously, on the principle of the thing, don't give the AAMC any more money!!! They're evil.