the next round of acceptance for VCU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you know the reason behind the increase? Where's the money going? and Why so drastic? I've heard rumors about the new building and not being able to meet costs. Could be just rumors though.

I just don't understand how the state gives funding to a "state" school when it's 55%\45%. Georgia is solely in-state, and I think South Carolina is similar. Florida (UF), for example, accepts maybe 10 out-of-state students per year. Florida residents, albeit the State is larger than VA, also has NOVA who accepts a good amount of state residents.

Again, I'm not complaining (thanks to military scholarships) but I don't think the current system adequately serves the residents of Virginia, and that's a shame.
Yeah there's the new building, I'm sure that plays into it a bit. We got some email blaming, "Rising fuel costs and the economy," etc.
Oh well, for me it just made them equally as expensive as the other schools I was considering, and I think VCU is a better school.

Members don't see this ad.

NY is the same way. Yes, we have four dental schools but 3 are essentially not part of the state. NYC is worlds away from a lot of new yorkers. Actually, i think my trip to VCU took me as long as my trip to stony brook. Anyways, that leaves us with essentially one school for the rest of the state: Buffalo. And buffalo accepts the same out of state ratio as VCU, but virtually any US citizen can get in state tuition at buffalo after one year. This makes buffalo even more competitive for NYS residents. At least virginians retain some advantage because VCU doesn't give out instate after a year. There are many states that don't even have dental schools so virgina is doing alright. Also, Maryland and Howard are within an hour or 2 of VCU so their graduates should be roaming the area as well.

I don't think you can argue 3 aren't part of the state, but I understand your point. Maryland (instate for Md residents) and Howard (historically African American) are more than two hours away from Richmond. VA does have it better than other states, but we also have a much larger population than those states (ie. Idaho), and also contain the two fastest growing counties in the nation (which is also forcing the migrant workers further out, and farther from adequate care). I know they've started to take more students from Southwest VA, and those saying they will practice in underserved areas, and I highly support this. However, accepting 55 (with 10 of those from southwest VA) in staters, just isn't going to cut it considering the population boom in the state. Am I bitter for having to go half-way across the country to go to dental school (and not even getting interviewed by my state school)? Yes, I am, and I guess I'm taking out my frustrations on SDN. Hopefully this'll change soon, if not, I'll try and change it (Barack=my inspiration).

Last edited:
mine says OFFER MADE also

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! Congrats on your acceptances so far. I am a current D1 at VCU and I spoke with one of our professors today about the 2013 interviews. He said: "we're almost done, only 2-3 weeks left"...so just in case anyone was wondering about that, there's a rough figure!

Best of luck!

I believe that the next acceptance is Feb.23.