The Next Step - Any insight is appreciated

Started by dc2014
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dc2014

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, I'm currently a P4 student trying to get some insight on what to do going forward. Initially all I wanted was to do a residency and for the past few years I've tried to prepare myself for that route. Recently I've had this change of heart and a lot of doubt about going forward with my process. I work at an independent pharmacy and one of the major hospitals in the city, have ton's of volunteer and leadership experience. The one thing that could be better are my grades, but even that isn't much of a concern to me. I've had the first two blocks off to kind of sit and reflect on what to do next and just can't really find something that fits. My new thing now is understanding the VA system better, as the majority of the residencies I looked at prior were in the VA. Getting additional clinical experience via the residency seems like what everyone is suggesting and pushing for, but I'm not sure if it's the right thing for me. Registration for Mid Year 2013 opens today so I kind of need to get my ducks in a row soon so I can plan accordingly.

Thanks for any insight everyone.
DC
 
If you're considering a residency, just try it. The worst that could happen is that you don't get one and just work at the independent pharmacy after you graduate. I tried for residencies, didn't get one, and just went ahead to work at an independent pharmacy. For me, I feel like at least I tried for it so I didn't have to wonder about what could have been if I didn't?
 
I'd say if you're on the fence go to mid year. I'm kind of in the same boat. I know I don't want to do a traditional hospital residency but I've been researching community ones with ambulatory care components because that's what I really like.

I've never thought about doing one until I started my rotations so I feel like my resume isn't up to par with others but I feel like it will never hurt to try

This way you won't have any regrets about not trying.

Go to the ASHP residency directory and take a look at all the different ones for PGY1. It will give you a good idea of how many options are out there!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd say if you're on the fence go to mid year. I'm kind of in the same boat. I know I don't want to do a traditional hospital residency but I've been researching community ones with ambulatory care components because that's what I really like.

I've never thought about doing one until I started my rotations so I feel like my resume isn't up to par with others but I feel like it will never hurt to try

This way you won't have any regrets about not trying.

Go to the ASHP residency directory and take a look at all the different ones for PGY1. It will give you a good idea of how many options are out there!

This. Sounds like you already are prepared CV wise. Go see what's out there (midyear). Something might catch your eye. Plus, there's lots of free stuff at midyear, and it's in Orlando. Why not? If you get bored, go to Universal 😀
 
I went to mid year last year in vegas and got a lot of cool insight from people there. I might as well go again, worst thing to happen is that I don't match. I can't say I didn't try
 
I'd say if you're on the fence go to mid year. I'm kind of in the same boat. I know I don't want to do a traditional hospital residency but I've been researching community ones with ambulatory care components because that's what I really like.

I've never thought about doing one until I started my rotations so I feel like my resume isn't up to par with others but I feel like it will never hurt to try

This way you won't have any regrets about not trying.

Go to the ASHP residency directory and take a look at all the different ones for PGY1. It will give you a good idea of how many options are out there!

Yea, I have a list already put together and even looked at ACCP's directory for not ashp accreditated residencies. The CV is mostly complete, the last things I need to do is the letter of intent, but I guess I'm just gun shy and not ready for rejection haha lol. Good luck with everything though
 
That's so true. My supervisor at the independent I work at told me, he would love to hire me, but there isn't a need at the moment. Maybe through him I could get a lead if need be.