The Next Step

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oonasna1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys

Hopefully by the grace of God I will be graduating this spring. My issue at hand is that I am graduating with with no real connections or perks to sway applicant viewers that I'm serious about medicine. I don't have a strong GPA so I'm not sure if my GPA will land me into Grad school or Post-bac. I decided I wanted to pursue a path in being an EMT. That way I could get my feet wet with emergency medicine , make connections and possible recommendations. It shows initiative. Also would it be advised that I should take my MCATS in advanced so as to show Post bac programs that I have a strong grasp of the sciences, ( a feet that I failed to show in undergrad). My main concern is to get into Post-bac because it really looks like my last shot.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys

Hopefully by the grace of God I will be graduating this spring. My issue at hand is that I am graduating with with no real connections or perks to sway applicant viewers that I'm serious about medicine. I don't have a strong GPA so I'm not sure if my GPA will land me into Grad school or Post-bac. I decided I wanted to pursue a path in being an EMT. That way I could get my feet wet with emergency medicine , make connections and possible recommendations. It shows initiative. Also would it be advised that I should take my MCATS in advanced so as to show Post bac programs that I have a strong grasp of the sciences, ( a feet that I failed to show in undergrad). My main concern is to get into Post-bac because it really looks like my last shot.
You'll get better advice if you include your numbers.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
MD is out of the picture.

DO allows grade replacement so either re-enroll in your college or go to a community college and retake any courses that you got an F, D or C in for A's. AACOMAs allows grade replacement so your GPA can shoot up quickly and within a year or two of retakes, you should e fine.

Did you major in a science degree?

I was a Biology Major but I just didn't have the drive and I ran into a couple of issues from family and depression. Its really different now because I'm graduating in may and I really see myself as a practicing physician in the future. Why not attempt a Post bac program? Also what are some things that I may pursue to draw attention away from a low GPA? (More volunterring, EMT maybe).

would it be advised that I should take my MCATS in advanced so as to show Post bac programs that I have a strong grasp of the sciences, ( a feet that I failed to show in undergrad).
You are more likely to perform well on the MCAT if you wait until you've retaken the prerequisites that you didn't master the first time around.

I was a Biology Major but I just didn't have the drive and I ran into a couple of issues from family and depression. Its really different now because I'm graduating in may and I really see myself as a practicing physician in the future. Why not attempt a Post bac program? Also what are some things that I may pursue to draw attention away from a low GPA? (More volunterring, EMT maybe).
Retaking/taking more upper-divs IS your post-bacc. It's likely that you will not gain acceptance to a formal program with a 2.3. The best route would be to do what was already mentioned, retake all F/D/C and ace them. Every class you don't get an A in from this point forward is a step backwards.

As far as what ECs to pursue to raise your odds, we can't answer that for you. The best EC is one that you're passionate about. You'll need clinical exposure, shadowing and volunteering. Clinical exposure can go either way- it can either be very rewarding, or monotonous if you volunteer in the wrong section of the hospital. Volunteering should be fun. So, my best advice is to get involved in something that you are truly passionate about because it'll allow you to actually talk about it in an interview scenario.

Reactions: 1 user