The Non-Stellar, but Stellar Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

comedone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for non-stellar, but stellar dermatology applicants only. You know who you are... :cool:. This will be our venue for updates, concerns and, hopefully, trickle-down interviews.

Instead of posting your thoughts on the Interview Thread, just to get them lost in the 'i got my 86th interview at Harvard and Yale', you can post them here without increasing your: :scared::scared::scared:.

My hope is this tread will have positive stories as everyone loves a scrappy underdog!

Let's make Ronald Reagan proud!! Or at least have a forum to bitch about it.

:love: A shout out to N-Surge :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think the whole 'update' experience Dermgirll had yesterday was pretty scary. why are some schools sending out rejection letters while other schools are just ignoring us?

Dear Derm PDs:

Is the pain you are inflicting on us non-stellar, but stellar residency applicants a test? You know, to see if we can handle the daily grind of skin disorders in the clinic as well as the middle of the night erythroderma emergency consults?

Cause I am up for the challenge! I mean sleeping during the months of Nov-Feb is overrated anyway.

My optimism is being tested and i am going to pretend that i like it,
C-man

Last edited:
I can see where the derm departments get overwhelmed. Can you imagine sorting through 400 applications from people all over the country for 2-3 residency positions? I'm sure they are just flooded. However, to me, it doesn't seem that hard to type a rejection form letter and just email it out to all the non-interviewees. When you pay $25 for an application, it seems like you should deserve a notice of rejection/waitlist/invitation at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
To me, not sending out rejection letters yet makes sense just in case these programs suddenly need people to interview with them (perhaps Dermerrific got 50 more interviews and decides to give us more leftovers?). In that case, these programs probably want to go back to the pile of likely rejects and go "Aha! TheGuat! Let's interview this lowlife, good thing we haven't rejected him yet (but we will soon)."

However, it is still indeed a very stressful process for all of us who are hanging on by the tiny hope that maybe these programs will change their minds and interview us. Nonetheless, I am fairly certain that at the end, when the process all comes to a stop, our inbox will be filled with the countless rejection letters that we have all been waiting for.

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

prelim is my back up... and then, i will apply again.
would even consider trekking around japan for a year
if i thought i could defer my loans... interviews = 5
good bye thoughts of ucsf.

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Been working on my interview skills while in the shower. :)
The good news is: my answers sound more polished & professional.
The bad news is: I can only respond the important inquiry of "Why dermatology?" while I wash my hair.
Depending on whether I use a 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner
or the normal run-of-the-mill 2 step shampoo & conditioner,
I have the perfect 2-5 minute response!!

:oops::):oops::):oops::):oops::):oops:

Any good interview news out there?? Hoping there is some trickle down effect happening to a few of you...
C-man

Comedo is 1
Comedones are multiple.
Comedone...not a real word.

Or you can add an exciting modifier--comedo extractor, or comedomaniac, or comedosan, or comederiffic, or comedon't, or comedonkey.

In case the PDs are snooping SDN, ya know?

Did i just get schooled by Dermocrat? Ouch!

:poke: ....... :slap: ....... :poke:

So, wouldn't it be funny if i didn't match in dermatology because the PDs spotted my SDN thread and discovered I didn't have an exciting modifier to my name?!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Another interview today..... :woot:!

Members don't see this ad :)
My most favorite rejections so far have been:

#2: The school that has now sent me THREE rejection letters, with the first back in early November.

#1: The school that sent me an invite, an then sent me an "Oops, that wasn't for you" email.

Hoping some of you saw these, too, and had a good laugh.:smuggrin:

I am wondering how many programs do you think are left that still may be offering interviews? I don't want to get my hopes up and am wondering if interview offers are mostly done? I realize that people cancel, which I am definitely hopeful for...but what do you guys think? This is ROUGH :scared:

I'm thinking places are mostly done as well. According to last year's list (which I'm sure isn't 100% accurate), only a few places were listed as offering interviews on more than one occasion. And there are less than 15 programs left that no one has heard anything from. :(

I'm thinking places are mostly done as well. According to last year's list (which I'm sure isn't 100% accurate), only a few places were listed as offering interviews on more than one occasion. And there are less than 15 programs left that no one has heard anything from. :(

I agree with you. I looked at last year's too and saw the same thing. It is good to know that they are probably done so at least I can stop hoping that good news will arrive in my email. And if we do get one, then its a good surprise. I need to mentally tell myself interview offers are over and just focus on doing a good job with the ones I have instead of feeling sad that I am not getting more. Thanks for your input!:)

That's a bummer if it's true. Didn't last year's interview list show that programs were still offering through early January?

My most favorite rejections so far have been:

#2: The school that has now sent me THREE rejection letters, with the first back in early November.

#1: The school that sent me an invite, an then sent me an "Oops, that wasn't for you" email.

Hoping some of you saw these, too, and had a good laugh.:smuggrin:

OMG!! HOW STRESSFUL!!! :scared::scared::scared:

That's a bummer if it's true. Didn't last year's interview list show that programs were still offering through early January?

I remember being on my early 4th year electives and the attendings & residents would ask, 'What are you going in to?" Often their reply to my zealous "Dermatology: one of the best fields in medicine!!", would be 'Oh, good luck -- That is a hard match."

Now that we are in the thick of interview session, I think it has become very clear to me what those wise individuals were saying....

:luck: HOLD ON TIGHT BOYS AND GIRLS, THIS IS GONNA BE A CRAZY RIDE!! :luck: LET'S MAKE SURE WE HOLD ON TO OUR WITS AND ROCK THOSE INTERVIEWS!! :luck:

my favorite experience so far is:

being on a PGY-1 interview
and watching the shock appear on the program director's face
after i inform him that i did not receive an interview from their hospital's dermatology program. :rolleyes:

then, we spend the next 3 minutes
discussing the caliber of dermatology applicants
and how i, of course, will match without a problem. :oops:

sometimes i wonder if i am lying to myself
or telling him the truth. :luck:

To me, not sending out rejection letters yet makes sense just in case these programs suddenly need people to interview with them (perhaps Dermerrific got 50 more interviews and decides to give us more leftovers?). In that case, these programs probably want to go back to the pile of likely rejects and go "Aha! TheGuat! Let's interview this lowlife, good thing we haven't rejected him yet (but we will soon)."

However, it is still indeed a very stressful process for all of us who are hanging on by the tiny hope that maybe these programs will change their minds and interview us. Nonetheless, I am fairly certain that at the end, when the process all comes to a stop, our inbox will be filled with the countless rejection letters that we have all been waiting for.

TheGuat (noun) a dermatology prophet
See Also: LOWLIFE

Rejection (noun)

See Also: ABANDONMENT
  1. Cast away [anger] like spoiled milk —Marge Piercy
  2. Discarded like outmoded customs —Elyse Sommer
  3. Discarded (me) like yesterday’s underpants —Sue Grafton
  4. Dropped … like a dead fish —T. Glen Coughlin
  5. Dropped [from a list] … like a hot rivet —Loren D. Estleman
  6. He shook them [young women] off his back like a young stallion shaking off an unskilled rider —Russell Banks
  7. Keep at a distance, like someone with an infectious disease —Anon The many twists on this usually refer to a specific diseases, whatever is most feared. Like so many phrases that have been mainstreamed into our language, this can be traced back to a line from Shakespeare, in this case: “Barred, like one infectious.”
  8. Push her away like a clinging dog —Daphne du Maurier
  9. Push me aside like a kitchen chair —Philip Levine
  10. Put (such thoughts) aside like chewed-up grapeskins —Bertold Brecht
  11. Rejected [bad news] … like a transplanted organ —Pat Conroy
  12. Rejected [praise] like counterfeit money —William Mcllvanney
  13. Shoved aside like a row boat nosed away by a tanker —Mary Gordon
  14. Shun him like the plague —Charles Dickens
  15. Some men, like spaniels, will only fawn the more when repulsed, but will pay little heed to a friendly caress —Abd-el-Kader
  16. Spurn my passion like a worm —Jean Racine
  17. Swept her aside as if she were a cobweb —Susan Kelly
  18. They just dropped me … like a bag of potatoes —Njabulo Ndebele
  19. Threw aside everything … like a contemptible burden —Heinrich Böll

trickle down interview #2!! :thumbup:

(hello california!)