The Official 07/06/2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impact2d

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm usually on SDN mobile and have been meaning to open this thread for a while. I guess I'll introduce myself first.

I'm somewhere towards the traditional side of the non-trad. I'm only 4 years out of undergrad, and am only a year older than the average med school matriculant-but I am a career changer who is married and completing my final prereq's post bacc (all finished in May).

I am using a hybrid of a few different MCAT studying styles posted here-but at the core it's most similar to SN2ed and the standard TBR schedule.

I am using TBR for Chem, O.Chem, and Physics (2012 edition). I am using TPRH and EK for Bio.

I don't really stick to the 1 chapter a day set up of SN2ed, I customized each chapter based on what my strengths and weaknesses were and how long ago I learned the topics in undergrad.

I almost always spend 2 days on Bio (this is the subject with the most "Content Gaps" for me) Oftentimes I can double up Ochem with Physics. Physics usually goes very fast, and O.Chem I find relatively easy compared to class (It helps that I just finished O.Chem 1, and am currently in O.Chem 2)

I'm also working part time and still in Ochem 2 and Physics 2, so studying full time is not an option until after May 4th, and even then I still have work. That is why I started at 4 months instead of 3, to try to get ahead since I know I will lose days over time.

I don't really do the 1/3's method in physics or chem. The books come with tests split into 3 phases and I prefer to just use it that way. After reading the chapter I do the untimed phase, a week later the timed phase, and am saving the final phase for review. I am not doing much TBR Bio in the early chapters-too much skipping around and testing obscure information I haven't reviewed yet. I know it's important to develop critical thinking, but I want to make sure I have the foundations down first. I stick to the EK in class and the TPRH science workbook. I will probably spend some time on TBR after I'm done with content review.

Also I use Chad's Videos like crazy, I watch them on fast forward and they really help give a quick overview. I wish there was a similar solution for Bio.

Well that's the rundown. Hopefully there are some people on here taking the same day. I know I can definitely use the motivation at times. My goal is to score >or=30.
Good luck!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Wow crickets, am I the only one crazy enough to take it 2 days after the 4th of July?

Sent from my LePanII using SDN Mobile

Wow crickets, am I the only one crazy enough to take it 2 days after the 4th of July?

I am switching my date from May 24 to July 06. I wanna be well prepared to take that beast. So count me in.

Last edited:
I switched from mid June for the same reason. In the grand scheme of things I don't think first week of July is really "late" on the borderline maybe, but not late.

Members don't see this ad :)
I switched from mid June for the same reason. In the grand scheme of things I don't think first week of July is really "late" on the borderline maybe, but not late.
I was in on June 21st, but I just found out today I have some things popping up in the near future.
So I changed to this date as well. I am using similar material as you. TBR and TPR material for extra passages and EK for Bio/Verbal.

I'm usually on SDN mobile and have been meaning to open this thread for a while. I guess I'll introduce myself first.

I'm somewhere towards the traditional side of the non-trad. I'm only 4 years out of undergrad, and am only a year older than the average med school matriculant-but I am a career changer who is married and completing my final prereq's post bacc (all finished in May).

I am using a hybrid of a few different MCAT studying styles posted here-but at the core it's most similar to SN2ed and the standard TBR schedule.

I am using TBR for Chem, O.Chem, and Physics (2012 edition). I am using TPRH and EK for Bio.

I don't really stick to the 1 chapter a day set up of SN2ed, I customized each chapter based on what my strengths and weaknesses were and how long ago I learned the topics in undergrad.

I almost always spend 2 days on Bio (this is the subject with the most "Content Gaps" for me) Oftentimes I can double up Ochem with Physics. Physics usually goes very fast, and O.Chem I find relatively easy compared to class (It helps that I just finished O.Chem 1, and am currently in O.Chem 2)

I'm also working part time and still in Ochem 2 and Physics 2, so studying full time is not an option until after May 4th, and even then I still have work. That is why I started at 4 months instead of 3, to try to get ahead since I know I will lose days over time.

I don't really do the 1/3's method in physics or chem. The books come with tests split into 3 phases and I prefer to just use it that way. After reading the chapter I do the untimed phase, a week later the timed phase, and am saving the final phase for review. I am not doing much TBR Bio in the early chapters-too much skipping around and testing obscure information I haven't reviewed yet. I know it's important to develop critical thinking, but I want to make sure I have the foundations down first. I stick to the EK in class and the TPRH science workbook. I will probably spend some time on TBR after I'm done with content review.

Also I use Chad's Videos like crazy, I watch them on fast forward and they really help give a quick overview. I wish there was a similar solution for Bio.

Well that's the rundown. Hopefully there are some people on here taking the same day. I know I can definitely use the motivation at times. My goal is to score >or=30.
Good luck!:thumbup:

You're on SN2ED's 4-month schedule (lol I almost missed it)! GL to you as well :luck::xf:

Last edited:
Thanks, I feel like I've already started falling behind-that's why I'm glad I stared early :) . It's hard to finish 2 hours of O.Chem homework and then jump into 4+ hours of content review. I just finished chapter 2 on everything yesterday, but I think if I fall behind in thenfuture I'll just skip O.Chem that week since I feel that is my strongest subject and if I have to "rush" anything I'd rather it be that. In general it seems that it really takes me 2 days to get through Bio.

I was in on June 21st, but I just found out today I have some things popping up in the near future.
So I changed to this date as well. I am using similar material as you. TBR and TPR material for extra passages and EK for Bio/Verbal.

Welcome, and good luck.

Welcome, and good luck.

You two. I am just about finishing Chapter 2 of Bio, G-Chem, Physics as well. Looks like we have similar study schedules haha. I won't be starting TBR O-Chem until I am done acid bases of TBR G-Chem.

Hey everyone,

Retake number 3 here. Just using EK and AAMC practices. The last two times I just did content review and practiced the AAMC exams. This time I'm doing as much practice as I can. It's only been a month, but I feel much more confident with physics and chem. In April, it'll be O Chem and Bio. Hopefully I'll get at least a 30 this time. Studying full time for this beast 2 weeks ago.

Good luck!

You two. I am just about finishing Chapter 2 of Bio, G-Chem, Physics as well. Looks like we have similar study schedules haha. I won't be starting TBR O-Chem until I am done acid bases of TBR G-Chem.

That's actually a good idea. I think I'll do the same. It doesn't really make sense to jump into O.chem before brushing up on acid's and bases. Good call!

Hey everyone,

Retake number 3 here. Just using EK and AAMC practices. The last two times I just did content review and practiced the AAMC exams. This time I'm doing as much practice as I can. It's only been a month, but I feel much more confident with physics and chem. In April, it'll be O Chem and Bio. Hopefully I'll get at least a 30 this time. Studying full time for this beast 2 weeks ago.

Good luck!

How did you study the first two times? With EK as well? Maybe for extra passages try getting the TPRH science workbook and/or the AAMC workbook. I know a few people who did EK only and supplemented with extra passages from TPRH workbook (I know common wisdom says use TBR passages but it is much easier to purchase the single science workbook and it's honestly almost as good as TBR). Good luck:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just noticed the avatar, I actually loved that movie. Haven't thought about it in years lol.

How did you study the first two times? With EK as well? Maybe for extra passages try getting the TPRH science workbook and/or the AAMC workbook. I know a few people who did EK only and supplemented with extra passages from TPRH workbook (I know common wisdom says use TBR passages but it is much easier to purchase the single science workbook and it's honestly almost as good as TBR). Good luck:xf:

Thanks for the advice! I got sub 30s on both. For both I only read the EK books without a deep understanding of some of the topics. I also didn't spend enough time studying (2 months). Good luck mate!

jumped ship from 4/13. Hopefully a lighter school load won't affect my studying that much!

Hi everyone! I'm in similar boat. I work part time and taking organic 2 and physics 2 along with labs so it's been hard to study.

I've already registered for the July 6th MCAT instead of th June 21st. because I do want two extra weeks to nail things.

However, I'm now worried about the timeline. Since we won't get our scores back til August 7th, and I'll send my application in June. Do think July 6th MCAT is late or is it still competitive?

Thanks! Pls Let me know your thoughts. I've been really contemplating July 6th versus June 21st.

Last edited:
It's definitely fine bro, as long as you send in your app and have your grades verified before you get your mcat score back. That's the main thing you need to do. As long as you submit your app with your transcripts by the end of June or so, they'll be verified by August 7th, give or take a week (look at the 2011 amcas verification thread).

If you don't do this, and instead wait to submit your app after you receive your mcat scores, then that's when you dun goof'd and your app will take a while to get verified (think mid to late september).

Well Guess this is the official one, couldn't find it earlier.

non-trad here, 4th retake... but it's because my score from 2009 isn't valid for most if not ALL MD schools for 2013... The reason for the gap is because I went overseas for 2 years from 2010, so now I'm back.
Have old TBR from 2003 print (came with course in 2007), but from the looks of it I will need new ones, so I'm trying to hassle Berkeley review at Berkeley so I could pick them up live.
Got EK (2007) as well, but looks like 7th ed is still the most up to date?
Still need to plan out a study schedule, right after I get those darn books!

Thanks for the prompt reply. That's what i figured too initially. If I get all the other application stuffs in along with grades (transcripts) and LOR uploaded.

Should I go ahead and apply to all the schools I want when I send off the application in June?

-Thanks!

It's definitely fine bro, as long as you send in your app and have your grades verified before you get your mcat score back. That's the main thing you need to do. As long as you submit your app with your transcripts by the end of June or so, they'll be verified by August 7th, give or take a week (look at the 2011 amcas verification thread).

If you don't do this, and instead wait to submit your app after you receive your mcat scores, then that's when you dun goof'd and your app will take a while to get verified (think mid to late september).

Thanks for the prompt reply. That's what i figured too initially. If I get all the other application stuffs in along with grades (transcripts) and LOR uploaded.

Should I go ahead and apply to all the schools I want when I send off the application in June?

-Thanks!

Hello guys I am also planning to retake it on July 6, work full time, last time I improved by 6 points but yet not where I wanted to be, one thing I learned though is "practice", I am almost done with review content except organic, my goal is to be consistent in my scores, but working 40 hrs and trying to be focused sometimes is hard. But a lot of people has done it , and we can do it, too.

Hello guys I am also planning to retake it on July 6, work full time, last time I improved by 6 points but yet not where I wanted to be, one thing I learned though is “practice”, I am almost done with review content except organic, my goal is to be consistent in my scores, but working 40 hrs and trying to be focused sometimes is hard. But a lot of people has done it , and we can do it, too.:)

Last edited:
In on this. Was originally going to take it April 28th but no way will I be prepared. Too difficult with school. I studied my butt off all semester for it but I don't think I'll be prepared enough to get the 30+ that I want. Hopefully the free time without classes will help me get over that hump.

Anyone else taking this date and applying this cycle? MD/DO/both?

^

I'm applying this cycle. Sucks though that my spring grades come out at the end of june. So I figure I'll submit my app, say, June 29th or so. Judging from last year's amcas verification thread, I think I should get verified around the 1st or 2nd week of august at the latest, which is around the same time the scores will be released. And regardless of what those on sdn say, an app completed in early/mid august may not be early but is definitely not late.

And to your second question, I'm applying to MD only. I have no intentions of going DO.

I'm in for 7/6 as well. I wanted 6/21 but there are no more test dates in MA.

Studying is proving SUPER frustrating. I am applying MD and DO due to a low GPA, but I may be able to snag an MD acceptance if my score gets to 36+ or so but it looks like it may be possible.

I've done chapters 1 and 2 in TBR all subjects and EK Bio and a few more TBR GC. Still don't feel like I am keeping up with studying enough... I have a conference in Spain in a week and it is going to be hardddd to stay on top of studying :scared:

-Thanks!

Hey, no. I think you should apply to only 1 school just in case you bomb the mcat and have to withdraw your app and reapply. If you have to reapply next year, then you won't be considered a re-applicant to a majority of your schools.

It's safe to apply only to 1 school (your worst case scenario back-up of your back-up of your back-up safety) and then add the rest of the schools AFTER you receive your mcat score. Doing it this way has no cons other than you not possibly receiving a secondary until later. But that really isn't a con, since once the app season starts, many of the schools' secondaries will get posted in the application forum

Hey, no. I think you should apply to only 1 school just in case you bomb the mcat and have to withdraw your app and reapply. If you have to reapply next year, then you won't be considered a re-applicant to a majority of your schools.

It's safe to apply only to 1 school (your worst case scenario back-up of your back-up of your back-up safety) and then add the rest of the schools AFTER you receive your mcat score. Doing it this way has no cons other than you not possibly receiving a secondary until later. But that really isn't a con, since once the app season starts, many of the schools' secondaries will get posted in the application forum

Thanks! I really appreciate your tips and help. Looking forward to hearing more from everyone.

I'll be doing a diagnostic test this week and will start a studying regimen.

What books did you many of you used that seemed to help so far? Did anyone did the Kaplan or Princeton Review? Thanks.

Hello guys I am also planning to retake it on July 6, work full time, last time I improved by 6 points but yet not where I wanted to be, one thing I learned though is “practice”, I am almost done with review content except organic, my goal is to be consistent in my scores, but working 40 hrs and trying to be focused sometimes is hard. But a lot of people has done it , and we can do it, too.:)

I feel you 100%, it is hard and I am in the same boat. I improved 6 points too, 4 alone on the BS.

Sorry for no response in a while, as the one who started the thread I've neglected all the newcomers-been bogged down with studying which I guess is the point. Welcome to the july 6th test day! I had my O.chem 2 and Phys 2 last regular tests for the semester this week, so I've been bogged down with balancing MCAT studying and class studying.

The good news is I aced both tests, so barring an absolute fail on the final I should have A's in both Physics 2 and O.Chem 2. I can't say as much for the MCAT studying. For example today I was supposed to finish a chapter of TBR Chem (I had my O.Chem test Wednesday and my Physics on Tuesday) and I just couldn't study today.

I am a little discouraged because I've fallen about a week behind in my 4 month schedule and I'm only 1 month into it. (Basically I'm wrapping up TBR everything chapter 3 and my TPRH bio 3 am finishing my 4th week.) I'm a little discouraged that some days I just can't study- after writing lab reports, finishing homework for class. What I have finished I've done well on, generally scoring 11-13 on TBR physics chapter tests and about 70-80% in TPRH Bio passages (I don't do TBR Bio passages anymore, I just didn't like going out of order it was too confusing).

Hi everyone! I'm in similar boat. I work part time and taking organic 2 and physics 2 along with labs so it's been hard to study.

I've already registered for the July 6th MCAT instead of th June 21st. because I do want two extra weeks to nail things.

However, I'm now worried about the timeline. Since we won't get our scores back til August 7th, and I'll send my application in June. Do think July 6th MCAT is late or is it still competitive?

Thanks! Pls Let me know your thoughts. I've been really contemplating July 6th versus June 21st.

I'll 2nd the previous response. i was told by several reputable people that there is no difference between late July and early august. Just be sure you verify your app when it opens up in June.

Anyone else taking this date and applying this cycle? MD/DO/both?

I am applying MD and DO. My GPA is solid for both; however, I'm non-trad (i.e. don't have a science undergrad and have been in the work force for 3 years), but still relatively young (26).

Honestly, despite the rhetoric of the AOA, I don't think there is a whole lot of difference between the philosophy of MD/DO, and I happen to have a few of the more connected DO schools near where I live (PCOM, NYCOM, UMDNJ SOM). Basically my goal is to get into the best program that I can get into this cycle, so even though my stats are solid, I'm applying broadly in MD, and targeting specific DO schools that I know of and like because I really don't want to wait another application cycle if things don't go according to plan.

How does everyone keep the content fresh as they go through content review. I read in one thread where someone who did well recommended rehearsing the information often. I'm not really sure what they mean. If I do a chapter of TBR every day, then do a review day a week later, by the end of the two months the earlier topics will still be more distant. What do most of you do? Do you review old topics daily? Weekly? or just keep pushing through, mastering one topic, and moving on to the next.

I have about 1-2 weeks of doing review problems and reviewing weak areas scheduled for after content review, followed by 3-4 weeks of FLs, but do you think I should be reviewing my notes every week?

I'm in for 7/6 as well. I wanted 6/21 but there are no more test dates in MA.

Studying is proving SUPER frustrating. I am applying MD and DO due to a low GPA, but I may be able to snag an MD acceptance if my score gets to 36+ or so but it looks like it may be possible.

I've done chapters 1 and 2 in TBR all subjects and EK Bio and a few more TBR GC. Still don't feel like I am keeping up with studying enough... I have a conference in Spain in a week and it is going to be hardddd to stay on top of studying :scared:

I'm with you, these chapters eat up a whole lot more time than expected. Plus I usually watch Chad's vids in addition. I have a hard time staying on the pace of 1 chapter per day, especially in Bio. Then there are those days when I just can't pick up a book...

Hopefully once classes are done in may I will be able to really do some catching up. My goal is a 30, with my GPA (cGPA 3.8, sGPA 4.0) , and ECs, and work experience I think I'll be competitive locally if I can get to a 30-but even a 30 is in like the 75-80th percentile. That means I still have to walk in there and do better than 3/4 of people that show up, that stat is what gets me. I do really well on the TBR topical tests after I study, but when I go back to a topic I haven't studied recently in the past I typically freeze. I have always done really well on all of my tests, but the worst on my finals due to the cumulative nature-this is my major weakness I am trying to figure out how to improve.

Sorry for no response in a while, as the one who started the thread I've neglected all the newcomers-been bogged down with studying which I guess is the point. Welcome to the july 6th test day! I had my O.chem 2 and Phys 2 last regular tests for the semester this week, so I've been bogged down with balancing MCAT studying and class studying.

The good news is I aced both tests, so barring an absolute fail on the final I should have A's in both Physics 2 and O.Chem 2. I can't say as much for the MCAT studying. For example today I was supposed to finish a chapter of TBR Chem (I had my O.Chem test Wednesday and my Physics on Tuesday) and I just couldn't study today.

I am a little discouraged because I've fallen about a week behind in my 4 month schedule and I'm only 1 month into it. (Basically I'm wrapping up TBR everything chapter 3 and my TPRH bio 3 am finishing my 4th week.) I'm a little discouraged that some days I just can't study- after writing lab reports, finishing homework for class. What I have finished I've done well on, generally scoring 11-13 on TBR physics chapter tests and about 70-80% in TPRH Bio passages (I don't do TBR Bio passages anymore, I just didn't like going out of order it was too confusing).

Glad you noticed my avatar. lol. I haven't been studying for the past week due to finals as well. Just finished yesterday and taking tonight off. As for content review, I feel the same way; almost as if I have to review something regularly just in case I don't forget anything. But keep in mind that even though content review is very important the vast majority of people on this forum seem to emphasize practice problems/tests. You can always review mistakes on practice problems and learn content in that way. Once you make a mistake, learn from it and hopefully you won't make it when it counts.

Right now I'm using TBR for physics and chem, EK bio, and EK Ochem + tpr passages. I'm doing a customized version of sn2ed's schedule. I actually shouldn't even call it that because I'm not following it at all lol. I was going along with it for the first couple of days, then I just started doing my own thing, but structured kind of the same (if that makes sense). What I do to keep topics fresh after I've finished them is, say, for physics or chem, instead of rereading the entire chapter, I'll skim through the sections in EK since they are more concise and a good refresher. Or if I don't have my books on me, i'll go online to mcat-review.org and review the specific topic there. It usually takes less than an hour (around 30 minutes or so) to re-look over the materials. This way it's never out of my mind for more than a week at a time.

With that said, I wish I didn't have class or wasn't taking a summer class before the test (required due to needing financial aid). I am studying my ass off whenever I have the time because I'm only taking this once and applying regardless of my score lol. a 35+ would be awesome, over a 30 would be great, 27-30 would be disappointing but OK, and less than a 27 would really suck! (not happening!)

Work is absolutely killing me right now and I am trying to finish writing up a manuscript in addition to MCAT studying and trying to keep my sanity.

My practice/passage scores are ALL over the place. Not sure what my issue is. I am consistently improving somewhat, but I am starting to **** my pants now that we are less than 3 months out. I also have to have my personal statement written by tomorrow (rough draft at least) so I can request a commitee letter... And THEN filling out AMCAS and AACOMAS on top of that.

Trying not to not have a coronary about this and keep some perspective, but I REALLY want an east coast MD/DO acceptance this cycle.

This was super whiny, sorry :)

Right now I'm using TBR for physics and chem, EK bio, and EK Ochem + tpr passages. I'm doing a customized version of sn2ed's schedule. I actually shouldn't even call it that because I'm not following it at all lol. I was going along with it for the first couple of days, then I just started doing my own thing, but structured kind of the same (if that makes sense). What I do to keep topics fresh after I've finished them is, say, for physics or chem, instead of rereading the entire chapter, I'll skim through the sections in EK since they are more concise and a good refresher. Or if I don't have my books on me, i'll go online to mcat-review.org and review the specific topic there. It usually takes less than an hour (around 30 minutes or so) to re-look over the materials. This way it's never out of my mind for more than a week at a time.

With that said, I wish I didn't have class or wasn't taking a summer class before the test (required due to needing financial aid). I am studying my ass off whenever I have the time because I'm only taking this once and applying regardless of my score lol. a 35+ would be awesome, over a 30 would be great, 27-30 would be disappointing but OK, and less than a 27 would really suck! (not happening!)

I take pretty good notes the first time I read through, so maybe I'll reread my notes every week since I don't have ek for anything except Bio. I'm also trying to fit the most important facts from each chapter on 1 to 2 note cards that I keep with me, hopefully that helps.

I feel the same as you with classes making it hard, I feel pretty similar to you about scores except I'd put 30 in with great as it is probably sufficient for one of my state schools given my GPA. Mcatreview.org is a good idea. Thanks and good luck!

Glad you noticed my avatar. lol. I haven't been studying for the past week due to finals as well. Just finished yesterday and taking tonight off. As for content review, I feel the same way; almost as if I have to review something regularly just in case I don't forget anything. But keep in mind that even though content review is very important the vast majority of people on this forum seem to emphasize practice problems/tests. You can always review mistakes on practice problems and learn content in that way. Once you make a mistake, learn from it and hopefully you won't make it when it counts.

That's true. I find when I get something wrong on a test I tend to never forget it.

Hey just wondering how did you watch Chads videos on fast forward? On my player it doesnt have the option to speed it up or anything. And he's coming with Bio videos sometime in May! (he wrote it on the forums on course-saver)

Yes, I'm behind too. Will start soon once all my finals are over with in 2.5 weeks.
So in everyones opinion, what exam books are better? EK or TBR?

Count me in for this test date! I have slowly studying but am ramping it up now that it's less than 3 months away. I'm following the SN2ED schedule, but it's rough especially when I take notes on each chapter when I read it (it's the best way for me to remember things). So instead of re-reading chapters at the end, I go through my notes.

Glad to see this thread started :)

Count me in for this test date! I have slowly studying but am ramping it up now that it's less than 3 months away. I'm following the SN2ED schedule, but it's rough especially when I take notes on each chapter when I read it (it's the best way for me to remember things). So instead of re-reading chapters at the end, I go through my notes.

Glad to see this thread started :)

Are you using the books/materials listed by SN2ED? I"m still debating between self-study with those books/materials listed or doing a Kaplan on Demand MCAT online course.

What do you suggest? Thanks.

^^

Wow practice tests almost months in advance :confused:

Yeah, I am going a bit MCAT crazy, but I am trying to balance out my low GPA with a 36+ score and I am fairly poor standardized test taker, so I am working my a** off.

Have taken 3 AAMCs and plan on taking the rest in the last month before the test.

I was also originally scheduled for May 24th, but due to traveling for work and conferences I re-scheduled so I was kind of ahead of the game to begin with.

I am in Europe from next week until early May and don't plan on studying much while I am there :D lots of stressing over my presentation. Then lots and lots of drinking.

How far along is everyone else? What is everyone else using for prep materials?