The Official 07/06/2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impact2d

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm usually on SDN mobile and have been meaning to open this thread for a while. I guess I'll introduce myself first.

I'm somewhere towards the traditional side of the non-trad. I'm only 4 years out of undergrad, and am only a year older than the average med school matriculant-but I am a career changer who is married and completing my final prereq's post bacc (all finished in May).

I am using a hybrid of a few different MCAT studying styles posted here-but at the core it's most similar to SN2ed and the standard TBR schedule.

I am using TBR for Chem, O.Chem, and Physics (2012 edition). I am using TPRH and EK for Bio.

I don't really stick to the 1 chapter a day set up of SN2ed, I customized each chapter based on what my strengths and weaknesses were and how long ago I learned the topics in undergrad.

I almost always spend 2 days on Bio (this is the subject with the most "Content Gaps" for me) Oftentimes I can double up Ochem with Physics. Physics usually goes very fast, and O.Chem I find relatively easy compared to class (It helps that I just finished O.Chem 1, and am currently in O.Chem 2)

I'm also working part time and still in Ochem 2 and Physics 2, so studying full time is not an option until after May 4th, and even then I still have work. That is why I started at 4 months instead of 3, to try to get ahead since I know I will lose days over time.

I don't really do the 1/3's method in physics or chem. The books come with tests split into 3 phases and I prefer to just use it that way. After reading the chapter I do the untimed phase, a week later the timed phase, and am saving the final phase for review. I am not doing much TBR Bio in the early chapters-too much skipping around and testing obscure information I haven't reviewed yet. I know it's important to develop critical thinking, but I want to make sure I have the foundations down first. I stick to the EK in class and the TPRH science workbook. I will probably spend some time on TBR after I'm done with content review.

Also I use Chad's Videos like crazy, I watch them on fast forward and they really help give a quick overview. I wish there was a similar solution for Bio.

Well that's the rundown. Hopefully there are some people on here taking the same day. I know I can definitely use the motivation at times. My goal is to score >or=30.
Good luck!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT Prep Material: Mainly Kaplan, but I was leant a few EK books which I studied Gen Chem and Physics from. Took 3 Kaplan (FL1=29, FL2=37, FL3=35), Took 2 AAMCs in the week before the test (34-35).
Time spent: 4 months total
AAMC average: 34-35
Prediction: 28-31
Goal: I would have taken anything over a 30, but I was aiming for 35+
Actual: 33R - 9-11-13

I don't want to sound like an a** but I knew I was capable of 34+, so a 33 was a bit disappointing All things considered, I'm happy with my score and ecstatic to get rid of all MCAT stuff.

Sorry to hear about everyone's experience with VR. That section was always a crapshoot for me. I'm very thankful that I landed on the right side of the curve on test day!

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT Prep Material: Mainly Kaplan, but I was leant a few EK books which I studied Gen Chem and Physics from. Took 3 Kaplan (FL1=29, FL2=37, FL3=35), Took 2 AAMCs in the week before the test (34-35).
Time spent: 4 months total
AAMC average: 34-35
Prediction: 28-31
Goal: I would have taken anything over a 30, but I was aiming for 35+
Actual: 33R - 9-11-13

I don't want to sound like an a** but I knew I was capable of 34+, so a 33 was a bit disappointing All things considered, I'm happy with my score and ecstatic to get rid of all MCAT stuff.

Sorry to hear about everyone's experience with VR. That section was always a crapshoot for me. I'm very thankful that I landed on the right side of the curve on test day!
Can you buy the Kaplan tests from their website?

I'm not sure whether you can buy just their books without buying the entire course.

IMO the entire Kaplan course isn't worth the $1700 price tag. If I had it to do over again, I would find the Kaplan books from a friend or online, study from those and then take the AAMC practice tests.

In my first post I forgot to mention that I also studied from Kaplan's MCAT 45 book which I think helped my scores a lot.

Those are from the course. You can't buy the same tests elsewhere, but I believe the review series books at the bookstore are basically the same as the course books.

Does anyone know if we have to enter all the course work in appl? I have some irrelevant course work that I took just because I was interested in and they are not included in my major degree GPA- but I had minor degree for them. Can I just skip them?

Does anyone know if we have to enter all the course work in appl? I have some irrelevant course work that I took just because I was interested in and they are not included in my major degree GPA- but I had minor degree for them. Can I just skip them?

I wouldn't if it appears on ur transcript...it will just delay ur verification time.

I got a 35Q (13 10 12) on the 7/6 test, but I have a 2.7 GPA. Before you all bash me about how I am not even going to be considered, can you guys please check out a post I made: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=12917246#post12917246 cus I am not getting any responses.

Any advice on there would be awesome.

I have checked the table- I'm not super familiar with all these administrative staff but yes-it looks like you really have chance. It may not be statistically favorable but I cant see any reason not to try. If I were you I would definetely try..(I'm applying with 28 MCAT-but mostly DO schools-I may be over-optimistic :p )

I wouldn't if it appears on ur transcript...it will just delay ur verification time.

thank you-I could have excluded them in my transcript but I didnt. I think it's too late-extra work will just lower my GPA (I didnt think they will care about my minor degree while taking the courses so I didnt care about my grades in minor-stupid!)

Members don't see this ad :)
took the mcat in late Jan and got 11/10/10, which I was disappointed with. Decided to take them July 6th.

PS:11
VR:8
BS:15

Total: 34Q

I am thoroughly disappointed in the verbal score (like most people on this thread). I would love any advice on whether I should retake this or not - I am coming from a top 5 liberal arts school with 3.8 science gpa (trying to go to a top tier med school).

took the mcat in late Jan and got 11/10/10, which I was disappointed with. Decided to take them July 6th.

I am thoroughly disappointed in the verbal score (like most people on this thread). I would love any advice on whether I should retake this or not - I am coming from a top 5 liberal arts school with 3.8 science gpa (trying to go to a top tier med school).

if it were me, i wouldnt retake.

I wouldn't retake it.

Preparation: I went through hell preparing for this test. I studied in intense two week chunks on three separate occasions. I first was registered to take the test May 19th, but my grandmother whom I was very close to passed away two days before, so I put it off to June 21. I took a break from studying and then spent another two weeks of hell before that date. As fate would have it, I was driving from far away to take it in Duluth, MN, which happened to flood the day before, so I again had to put it off, this time to July 6th. I took a week off of studying and then put in another week of hell.

Materials: I used Examcrackers for everything except verbal and I took every AAMC test, some multiple times.
AAMC: Was averaging about a 33 but knew I was capable of better.
Prediction: 9 12 9 30 I really freaked out on the test and thought I bombed it. PS felt terrible off the bat. BS, which was supposed to be my best, felt amazing until those last two passages, where I honestly had to guess on 7 questions without understanding the question. Verbal comes easily to me and felt good.
Actual: 12 13 12 37O

I was shocked at my score and incredibly thrilled. I honestly think my drawn out process helped me score a lot better. For people who struggle to study a little at a time and like to cram like me, I would actually recommend multiple intense study weeks separated by time off. And make the investment in every AAMC test available!! Can't stress that enough.

wow! you have well balanced-really good score congrats!

MCAT Prep Material: SN2's material but extended schedule
Time spent: 4 months on and off
AAMC average: 33
Prediction: 28-32
Goal: 30+
Actual: 32Q - 8VR/13PS/11BS
This was a retake for me, 7/6/11 score was a 26 - 7vr/10ps/9bs
Verbal was always my worst so not too surprised. I am a bit worried tho about the verbal score possibly raising a red flag however its too late to retake :( With a 3.65 GPA hoping for at least a state MD school acceptance. So glad to be done with the exam!