The Official 4/16/11 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SteveJMarist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm waiting until January to start really studying. For now, I'm getting in the habit of reading a book a week and a few articles every day.

Let me tell you, though - I'm so weirded out that I actually signed up for a date and the world didn't end. What's up with that, anyway? ;)

I've been studying for this exam since september :D . I'm following EK's schedule, and about three lectures for each subject to go (lectures, practice passages, 1000k, audio osmosis ...). Never too early guys. When I'm done the reviewing process, I'm going to spend 3 months to do and preview practice exams as many as possible from AAMC, EK, BR, TPR to anything I can grab :D .

I'm waiting until January to start really studying. For now, I'm getting in the habit of reading a book a week and a few articles every day.

Let me tell you, though - I'm so weirded out that I actually signed up for a date and the world didn't end. What's up with that, anyway? ;)

I felt the same way! It's been a long time coming, my friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been studying for this exam since september :D . I'm following EK's schedule, and about three lectures for each subject to go (lectures, practice passages, 1000k, audio osmosis ...). Never too early guys. When I'm done the reviewing process, I'm going to spend 3 months to do and preview practice exams as many as possible from AAMC, EK, BR, TPR to anything I can grab :D .

Sounds intense... I agree that starting doesn't hurt, but I'd suggest working review days into your study schedule. I really need to start doing that more often myself.

Man, this thread is dead. Looks like a lot more people are taking the 4/29 test instead. Where are the rest of you 4/16ers???

I am going to begin studying from EK on Monday! I am going to go by their suggested home study plan. I have the audio osmosis and 1001 questions for bio, physical sciences and verbal. I have tried kaplan in the past but they give you a whole lot of information!

I am going to try SN2ed's study guide and starting this Christmas break! April is going to come quickly.

How's the beginning of studying coming along for you guys? I feel like I might have made some good improvements recently. Been getting only 0-1 ?s per passage wrong in my TPR science workbook. Still waiting for my TBR books!

Dude, so true. Test day is going to be nerve-racking. Were you able to track down TPR hyper-learning verbal workbook?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm enrolled in TPR's course, so yep, I have it! It's pretty good. Waiting to get my damn TBR books too. They're slacking and it's driving me crazy.
I ordered from TBR last week and I have yet to receive anything on my bank statement yet either. Hopefully they can come rolling in by the second week of Christmas break. I debating whether or not to take a class; I am thinking that I won't since I don't have the funds for it. Can't wait to take the MCAT though so we can get moving on the applications!

I ordered from TBR last week and I have yet to receive anything on my bank statement yet either. Hopefully they can come rolling in by the second week of Christmas break. I debating whether or not to take a class; I am thinking that I won't since I don't have the funds for it. Can't wait to take the MCAT though so we can get moving on the applications!

TBR finally shipped my books, I should be getting them Wednesday. That'll be the official day of me surrendering my life to the MCAT :laugh:

I've made the decision to not do any traditional studying but I think I've got my bases covered anyway. I'm taking the Princeton Review course starting at the end of January, and I also tutor all the MCAT subjects. I just tutored all the 1st semester courses and by the time the MCAT rolls around I'll have gone through the majority of the material in the second semester courses. I tutor at my school about 20 hours a week at the tutoring center on a walk-in basis. I'm the only one who does all the sciences and I'm there the most so I'm always very busy. I think the old adage of teaching being the best way to learn is true, and it really applies here. Still, does anyone think I should be doing something more? Schedule is pretty booked as it is with 19 credits, research, the tutoring job, and EC activity.

I've made the decision to not do any traditional studying but I think I've got my bases covered anyway. I'm taking the Princeton Review course starting at the end of January, and I also tutor all the MCAT subjects. I just tutored all the 1st semester courses and by the time the MCAT rolls around I'll have gone through the majority of the material in the second semester courses. I tutor at my school about 20 hours a week at the tutoring center on a walk-in basis. I'm the only one who does all the sciences and I'm there the most so I'm always very busy. I think the old adage of teaching being the best way to learn is true, and it really applies here. Still, does anyone think I should be doing something more? Schedule is pretty booked as it is with 19 credits, research, the tutoring job, and EC activity.
I would maybe suggest taking a full-length practice test (possibly the free one [#3] from AAMC) under timed conditions and see where you're at. Maybe do this in Feb. or so that way you still have some time to change something (studying or MCAT date) if things aren't going as planned.
Just a suggestion. Good luck!

Knowledge is half the battle.. maybe even a quarter of the battle. From what I've heard and seen, people that do well on the MCAT have vast experience with practice passages and, most importantly, practice full lengths. The MCAT tests things differently than your typical Gen Ed Science class. Def take at least 1 full length and see where you land. You very well may be starting at a point where you can be lax with practice, but it's better to be sure.

Finally got my BR books to join my TPR ones. Let the fun begin! Doing some Orgo at the library tonight. Unfortunately I have two "assignments" to do for writing as well...

Finally got my BR books to join my TPR ones. Let the fun begin! Doing some Orgo at the library tonight. Unfortunately I have two "assignments" to do for writing as well...
I got mine yesterday (TBR)! Ready to start in a few days. Do well man.

I got mine yesterday (TBR)! Ready to start in a few days. Do well man.

Thanks- you too! I feel like a slacker- I had to skip class on Sunday (VR class) due to illness. It won't be long before I make up for it, though.

I cant believe there's a thread for my test date now! I used to just look at everybody else's test date forums and now theres one for me! Im excited and nervous at the same time. :)

Anyway, I noticed that you guys are going to use TBR books for passages too and with some TPR stuff. How do you guys plan to combine TPR and TBR? I signed up for TPR online course and ordered TBR books. I am going to follow TPR schedule and supplement it with TBR books. I havent seen the TBR books since I wont get them until Monday but I saw the list of sections for each one. The chapters dont correspond exactly but do you just roughly guess which chapters match?

Figured out my study materials and got a subscription to Time Magazine this month. I've read a few books now (considering checking out a few on logic) and I've printed out a bunch of writing sample prompts to practice come January.

And as of last night, I put together my final study schedule. I'm not taking a class; there's no empirical evidence that they work, and I can structure my studying on my own. Let's hope this goes well!

Here's to everyone's success in the new year!

Thanks- you too! I feel like a slacker- I had to skip class on Sunday (VR class) due to illness. It won't be long before I make up for it, though.

are you talking about TBR VR class??? i think EK VR is better. i took TBR and a doctor came to guest teach and he pretty much followed the EK VR

Hey guys! I've been reading tons of threads and forums on SDN for a few months now and finally joined. Registered for the April 16 MCAT 2 weeks ago and I still can't believe we're finally at this point. I am doing the EK home study program and devoting my time fully to it on top of my other classes. Received the books and Audio Osmosis about 2 months ago and have been reading over lectures until officially starting my concrete schedule in January. Still waiting on my 1001 books to get here to do so. I think I've read about every forum and article of advice possible so here's to hoping it helps! Anyone else excited/anxious?

Wow I can't believe my test date has a thread either!

I'm preparing to start my study schedule on Jan 1st like a lot of you, i'm using an altered version of the 3-month schedule since I'm a non-trad student (I work full-time + full-time courses) so I have to make better use of my weekends but I feel comfortable with my plan. I'm using a mix of EK, TPR and NOVA books.

I'm VERY nervous but excited. Best of luck to everyone as we kickoff the studying marathon!

are you talking about TBR VR class??? i think EK VR is better. i took TBR and a doctor came to guest teach and he pretty much followed the EK VR

Nope, I was talking about the TPR VR class. I sort of do my own methodology with VR anyways, but TPR helps identify the question types and common traps.

I cant believe there's a thread for my test date now! I used to just look at everybody else's test date forums and now theres one for me! Im excited and nervous at the same time. :)

Anyway, I noticed that you guys are going to use TBR books for passages too and with some TPR stuff. How do you guys plan to combine TPR and TBR? I signed up for TPR online course and ordered TBR books. I am going to follow TPR schedule and supplement it with TBR books. I havent seen the TBR books since I wont get them until Monday but I saw the list of sections for each one. The chapters dont correspond exactly but do you just roughly guess which chapters match?

I'm just starting to mix in the TBR books, but, yes, that's what I'll be doing. The books match decently well so weaving it all together shouldn't be too hard.

Here's my current plan:

Mon-Tues: TPR

Wed-Thurs TBR

Fri-Review

Sat- Full Lengths

Sun- TPR Class

Tough few months ahead!

And to all that are just jumping on board this thread and are seething with excitement- I'm with you! I've been doing the MCAT thing since October now, but 2011 will bring twice the fun. The closer I get, the more real everything feels.

Talking about real- this week I spent around 50 hours shadowing a nephrologist at a local hospital. If you guys haven't done something like this yet, I encourage you to do so. There's simply nothing that compares to this experience, and it has served as a MAJOR form of motivation for me.

Enjoy your NYE folks, we have a few challenging months ahead!

How's things kicked off (or have been going) for everyone?

About 2.5 months into studying now, I'm hoping things really start coming together in the next month or two.

I'll be starting every-Saturday-full lengths probably around the end of this month or the beginning of February.

I've just cracked open the first of my Exam Krackers books. Looks like I'll be needing to fortify my desk.

This is going to be a long winter!

I've just cracked open the first of my Exam Krackers books. Looks like I'll be needing to fortify my desk.

This is going to be a long winter!

Yea it definitely is.. I can't wait until the test is over and we can begin focusing on apps!

Yea it definitely is.. I can't wait until the test is over and we can begin focusing on apps!

I'm not looking forward to the apps themselves. I do look forward to a career in medicine, but apps are stressful, interviews are nerve wracking, medical school is toils and tribulations, boards are nightmareish, and loan repayments with be a b*tch. But the prospect of the career itself, despite being rife with stress, paperwork, difficult patients, difficult situations, huge amounts of responsibility, and caffeine overdoses, gives me happy butterflies in my stomach whenever I think of it.

The MCAT still scares me, though.

Probably going to have to agree with Janieve in not being excited about the whole application process, but getting nearer and nearer to medical school and becoming a doctor yes! I started my official schedule yesterday (have been reviewing on and off for about 2 months) and am waiting on a different physics book to arrive to start mixing that in as well. I'm only taking 12 hours this semester and classes start again on the 18th so hopefully I can get a lot done before then. Is this the first time for all of you too?

Oh man, they have our test date forum up already. It's almost unreal to see this. I'm not 100% sure about this date, but I have begun studying since the break and I'm pretty happy with my progress so far. I start a TPR class in 5 days, and it ends at the end of March. Based on where I am then, I'll either take on the 16th or the 29th. This is my first time applying as well and it is really intimidating, in fact the MCAT in and of itself is really getting to me.

I'm not looking forward to the apps themselves. I do look forward to a career in medicine, but apps are stressful, interviews are nerve wracking, medical school is toils and tribulations, boards are nightmareish, and loan repayments with be a b*tch. But the prospect of the career itself, despite being rife with stress, paperwork, difficult patients, difficult situations, huge amounts of responsibility, and caffeine overdoses, gives me happy butterflies in my stomach whenever I think of it.

The MCAT still scares me, though.
Yea, it's an indescribable feeling. The apps and the interviews give me the same feeling though! Sure, it's stressful, but seeing where you'll end up is super exciting to me! Plus, I think I'll rock the interviews... I have pretty solid interviewing skills.

Oh man, they have our test date forum up already. It's almost unreal to see this. I'm not 100% sure about this date, but I have begun studying since the break and I'm pretty happy with my progress so far. I start a TPR class in 5 days, and it ends at the end of March. Based on where I am then, I'll either take on the 16th or the 29th. This is my first time applying as well and it is really intimidating, in fact the MCAT in and of itself is really getting to me.

Yep, it's my first time too. The TPR class will probably help a little with your anxiety. It has for me anyway.

Anyone know if MCAT seats open up closer to the test date? I was planning on taking the 4/29, but all convenient locations are somehow already taken. Also, I'm taking a TPR class that ends on 4/7. Is the 4/16 exam too early to take or does TPR prepare you well enough that independent studying after isn't as necessary?

I figure I'll share my progress with you guys. Took a diagnostic today before I start REALLY HARDCORE content review. It's not a pretty picture:

PS: 6
BS: 6
VR: 7
OVERALL: 19

Still waiting on the essays to be scored, but we can assume average at best.

I pretty much expected this, since I've never taken it before and the content isn't fresh in my mind. Here's hoping I can increase my score by 11 points in the next three months!

Now I'm off to have a look at what my subject breakdown is and review the questions I got right vs those I got wrong. Hope things are going well for everyone else!

wow, i haven't been on here since 04-06-2010! it's so cool that we have a thread for the 4/16 mcat takers! i took TPR course last jan, but i didn't take it wholeheartedly.. i will be starting (resuming) my studying today, although i haven't opened my mcat books since the fall '10 semester started. i graduated in dec (a couple of weeks ago). thus far my studying has just consisted of reading the books, but i still haven't finished any of the books yet.. im working 1 day a week, so that's not that bad.

i never had any trouble studying/concentrating on studying for my classes, but when it comes to studying for the mcat, it seems like my concentration goes out the window. any suggestions? i took a look at sn2ed's 3 month study guide, and i'm thinking about roughly following it. i plan on paying to extend my use of TPR online material, which includes passages, questions, and some FL/practice mcats. btw i haven't taken the mcat yet, i keep scheduling a date, and then canceling it, but this time i plan on taking it, do or die

Anyone know if MCAT seats open up closer to the test date? I was planning on taking the 4/29, but all convenient locations are somehow already taken. Also, I'm taking a TPR class that ends on 4/7. Is the 4/16 exam too early to take or does TPR prepare you well enough that independent studying after isn't as necessary?

My TPR class ends 4/7 and I'm taking the 4/16 exam. I think it should be OK.

I figure I'll share my progress with you guys. Took a diagnostic today before I start REALLY HARDCORE content review. It's not a pretty picture:

PS: 6
BS: 6
VR: 7
OVERALL: 19

Everyone starts low before content review. I asked my TPR teachers how they did on their first AAMC diagnostic, and they all reported an increase of 10+ points.

My friend started in the low 20s and ended up with a 34. He didn't break the 30s until a month before the test.

Don't sweat it. Work your ass off and you'll be fine. Eleven points is definitely attainable.

i never had any trouble studying/concentrating on studying for my classes, but when it comes to studying for the mcat, it seems like my concentration goes out the window. any suggestions?

As far as concentrating goes, you really have to find what works for you. Before a full length or practice passage, I assume a full posture and take a deep breath. It helps me focus. Play around with some things until you find out what makes you get it going.

97 DAYS TO GO

RETAKING TO IMPROVE MY VERBAL SCORE....:idea:

Good luck! Verbal has been really hard for me to improve on. I'm stuck in the 9-11 range, which isn't bad if I end up with the 11 haha. The problem is guaranteeing the 10+...

I think it is coming with practice...

Just signed up for this date and very nervous. Working full time and going to school full time, so with only 3 months to study, lets hope I am able to pull something off. Just using examkrackers and AAMC practice exams. Hopefully this will be enough.