The Official 4/16/11 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SteveJMarist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
30+ schools Steve? Damn man, I am applying to 6 or 7, and am dreading charging that much. Keep me updated on it though, whats number one choice?

I hope you see this post, Renaissance Man.

I see that your stats are pretty good, but only applying to 7-8 schools is NOT a good idea. I know a guy (...me) who had almost a 4.0, a 99th percentile MCAT, several publications, and decent volunteering, so he thought he would have no trouble in the cycle. Sent secondaries to 8 schools, then tacked on 3 more in like Oct./Nov. after not getting any Oct. 15 acceptances. Ended up getting in off a waitlist in May, otherwise ---> reapplication!

Don't try to save a thousand bucks now if it means you'll miss out on a year of a $300k salary by having to sit out and reapply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep- it's stories like the above one that I've read too much that has prompted me to apply to as many schools as I've mentioned.

I see that your stats are pretty good, but only applying to 7-8 schools is NOT a good idea. I know a guy (...me) who had almost a 4.0, a 99th percentile MCAT, several publications, and decent volunteering, so he thought he would have no trouble in the cycle. Sent secondaries to 8 schools, then tacked on 3 more in like Oct./Nov. after not getting any Oct. 15 acceptances. Ended up getting in off a waitlist in May, otherwise ---> reapplication!

Don't try to save a thousand bucks now if it means you'll miss out on a year of a $300k salary by having to sit out and reapply.

I appreciate the advice, although I am probably going to stick with my list. It only includes a few top 20 schools, and the rest state schools (one of which I have "ties" with, the other my home institution). I realize my stats are not perfect, but I have worked my ***** off so that I would have some options when it came time to apply. I want to stay on the East Coast, and somewhere close to my S.O., and I don't think my stats and extracurriculars warrant applying broadly.

I can't see myself anywhere except the schools I have picked out, and for me, that is most important thing. Obviously strange things can always happen during application process (like w/ you), but for the most part (assuming a good interview) I am only "reaching" at one school.

Good luck Steve, I will keep you updated on how things are going with me, you do the same. Congrats again on your score. You deserve it.

Oh my goodness, I hear stories like this and it scares the jeebus out of me!! You sound like a near-perfect applicant and yet...still, the acceptance letters did not come rolling in. Did you ever call or find out from the schools why they didn't readily accept you?

Oh my goodness, I hear stories like this and it scares the jeebus out of me!! You sound like a near-perfect applicant and yet...still, the acceptance letters did not come rolling in. Did you ever call or find out from the schools why they didn't readily accept you?

I basically applied to only top-tier and highly competitive schools, like Harvard, Penn, Michigan, WashU, Pittsburgh, Cleveland Clinic, etc. The key to this whole process is to apply VERY broadly. For instance, 20-30 secondaries with nice mix of highly competitive, mid-range, and "safety" schools